Friday 22 May 2015

Any Blue Will Do


Blue is, of course, the colour of water and the sky.  But to see it in nature is a treat to spy. (Unintentional rhyme there.)



We have loads of bluejays all over the property but this is the first time I've spied a feather.  Hope the owner did not come to any harm.  I know from what I've read that this is not really blue; it is some scientific thing to do with the light refracting and  playing with my eyes, but it sure looks blue to this old brain. In fact, so blue that if I were to reproduce it on paper, I'm sure it would look too blue and therefore, false.


Some harm here I'm afraid and not a treat to spy in this condition.  From the amount of broken shell through the grass, I think a whole nest had been torn apart. I adore this colour blue.
 Robins' eggs, so sad.




Though this photo looks paled, the flowers were a really, really pale blue just as shown.  A very sweet shade, actually.  I think it is the very same plant as this one below that in another area of the trail is mostly shades of lilac and periwinkle.  There are many forms of wild violets and I think this one is the Dog Violet.
Even the front lawn which is seeded and mowed is covered with them.


I've always wondered why blue was chosen for the Facebook predominant colour.  I thought it might be because it is the favourite colour of most people.  Recently I read that its founder, Mark Zuckerberg, is slightly colour blind but can see all the shades of blue so that was reason enough for the blue of Facebook.

Nature is starting to put on its show for us.

 What a wonderful season to be out and about and looking down.

 "Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."

                                                                                               Thoreau

No comments :