Tuesday 25 October 2016

I Made Rock Recipes Old Fashioned Upside Down Apple Cake

Friday I was talking about wanting something good to eat and couldn't think of anything. I had those bananas but all the recipes I found were for loaves or muffins.  I seemed to want something more cakey.
 Saturday I set about finding a cake recipe.  On hand were a few figs, a couple of oranges and several Pink Lady apples (quick trivia question for you...which Orange is the New Black character liked Pink Lady apples?).
 I always like to combine fruit with cake... and it seems to suit the fall season too I guess.  So some sort of fruit upside down cake came to mind.
Looking through various food blogs is a favourite past time of mine and I always check out Rock Recipes in my reading list.  There I found a recipe for Old Fashioned Apple Upside Down Cake which was exactly what I had in mind.  First though, at their site I got a little distracted by the photo of the Lemon Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake which I will definitely have to make sometime.  See for yourself!

 I layered my fruit, apples, oranges,and figs in the bottom of a glass baking dish and threw in a few frozen cranberries at the last moment. I opted to use brown sugar for the caramel sugar sauce that gets poured over the fruit.


The simple batter was easy to put together and worked great.  After the first night, I made a custard sauce to go with it.  Ice cream or whipped cream would be wonderful too but Hubby loves custard sauce.
This was a tasty dessert and you can see the lovely arranged apple pieces on Barry's cake and get the recipe HERE.



And my aging bananas are sitting in the freezer. A smoothie is in their future, I'm thinking.

I've been reading up on hydrangeas and wanted to see how I could dry some for the winter.  I found this little brief video on Youtube and realized it couldn't be easier.


Luckily I had picked a few before the last overnight frosty temperatures.  Hopefully these will be with us all winter now.




Someone asked about my Ott lite.  I love it I really do.  It works like they claim...provides a light as close to daylight as you can get.  I am managing that 28 thread count material with this light  and I am grateful.  However, I can't seem to figure out the magnifying feature which is a shame.  


I made great strides on my little autumn wall hanging on the weekend and also got some Strawberry Fields stitching completed.  Photos next time.  

No comments :