Sunday 21 January 2018

Mauling My Quilt and BOM Blitz

Is it physically possible to go into a fabric shop and come out empty handed?? I'm betting not.

I went to the Perth Fabrics Crafts 'n More store in a neighbouring town last week.

                              Image result for perth fabric and craft store

 Overwhelming number of items in this store and a great spot for a dig if you know what I mean.


                          


I was in search of some fabric I needed for this particular BOM.
  Potted Flowers at Angie's Bits and Pieces

I'd read this post about it at the Nana's Nahwelt blog and liked what I saw of her first block efforts.
 I have always loved flowers in vases and potted flowers and flowers in general.  It has been a journey breaking my lifelong habit of wearing flowery skirts and jumpers.

So I decided to check it out and decided to follow this BOM too.

The pattern is such that the various flower pots are sitting on shelves so long pieces of fabric are required rather than blocks. I decided I wanted a light grey colour for the background...getting a little tired of the cream/white.  I found exactly what I wanted at the store (of course!) so was happy.
I have downloaded Block 1 and freezer papered the pieces.  Now for the dreaded measuring and cutting of the first shelf....35 x 15.  Thankfully there are good directions.

Btw, my vase material is not solid black as shown...it is black with a dark grey line design through it.


BOM count...Yes I must take stock!


A Patchwork Year....Kathy's site here
I have 11 of the 12 months embroidered now and I have 4 of these hand quilted the Potholder way.
Here is January's Jack Frost getting his sashing with the February block ready to go too.



Scandinavian Christmas....Lynette's site is here
Ready now to quilt the last row of blocks on the edging.  I've enjoyed the hand quilting very much.

But I do feel like I have mauled this quilt to pieces to get it quilted.  There is a lot of applique, some of it delicate and I've had it in my lap, moving it around a lot as I stitched for many hours.  I feel like I've given all the pieces a hard going over in the process.
That's where quilt as you go or the pot holder method or even machine stitching would probably have eliminated that worry.


Sarah Fielke Grasshopper...Sarah's site is here
Choosing fabrics for this one as we won't get the first block till February.  This is fun but also hard for me. I won't make the final choice till I see a few blocks made and get a better idea of how these blocks will coordinate...does anyone else do this?  Can you tell spring is on my mind!


Kathleen Tracy's Mystery QAL...last but not least Kathleen's site is here

First block is all done and I'm waiting eagerly to see the next one.

It is so great to have such wonderful designers sharing their work with the quilting world.
And this is also great- to share this post with parties globe wide.
What a Hoot QuiltsBusy Hands QuiltsSew Can SheConfessions of a Fabric AddictSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts, Bambi's Show and Tell, Love, Laugh, Quilt..






No comments :