Thursday 18 January 2018

Talking to Mom and Other Things

During our weekly phone chats, Mom always asks me what I am making for supper.  She was saying yesterday how though she still has a good appetite (at 84), she is finding it harder to know what to cook and she is losing her interest in meat in particular.  Lately she has been making a simple soup of tomatoes, onions, broth and barley and throwing in some carrots and peas and this seems to be satisfying enough.  I don't know if this is what happens as we age or not.

Mom went on to say here I am with a fridge full of food and don't want it and there are children out there hungry...tears at this thought as she is very sensitive and especially about children. We talked some more about the ways of the world and how thankful we are to have enough and I reminded her about how all of her life she has always done her part with sharing and giving, etc. which is about all a person can do really.  Oh my.


The Other Things

I like this saying and realized it applied to me.  I am always trying to do things I don't really know how to do!  I always wondered why.


                      "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it"

-Picasso


New To Me

Hubby grew up with this British pickle concoction. I had never heard of it till he spied it on one of the infrequent times he was in Walmart with me...one of the things I like about Walmart is the very large Ethnic Food aisle they have.  So we bought a bottle and he says it is just as he remembered it...good with sausages.



I like how sometimes, just sometimes more natural remedies can be found for what ails us.

  I mentioned having some finger woes....a sore knuckle on my right hand and a trigger middle finger on the other and boy, that is surprisingly sore especially in the morning.  I was fortunate to read Chris' post at Quilting At the Farm where she speaks of  similar issues and uses turmeric and also immerses her hands in heated lentils.  I've been taking the glucosomine and using turmeric and now I'm going to try the warmed lentils.  My doctor told me it was arthritis but I really don't want to start a drug regime for just occasional discomfort or get into using steriods.  I mean when I have to, I will.

 Then I remembered my finger exercises and I've started doing them again and already feel relief.  They really do work.  The exercises are at about the 3 minute mark in this little video.




The French Needle is having their Blue Moon Sale with many items such as their lovely cross stitch patterns marked down.  The kits to make this little doll and her friends are reduced and all so cute.  I just love Miss Violet.
                                       De Witte Little Violet Doll Kit

 Can you remember making snow forts when you were a kid.  I sure do. I love how my Snowball wall is growing.  Just like a fort!
Stressfree stitching is wonderful!



Another Happy occasion is just around the corner.
This Valentine tree with wooly valentines was posted on Facebook by Tammy Thurman.  Isn't it sweet.

And the  wool feather tree is available at White Oak Ridge Designs on Etsy.


Image may contain: plant


Another happy thing is linking with the following:  Not Afraid of ColorThe Needle and Thread NetworkFree Motion By the RiverSew Fresh QuiltsEm's Scrapbag
























No comments :