Sunday 29 July 2018

Applique Blocks, Books and Critters


A week with lots of sun, some rain, high temperatures but lower humidity so it was a great week for outdoor activity...weeding and walking and veranda sitting, namely.

I am thankful I do enjoy nature and all the buzzing/flying/treading things around me. Though the birds are a little quieter, every day new kinds of butterflies and bees are appearing. Including a large wasp nest on the front veranda that son in law had to take down for us...it was growing bigger as we eyed it, it seemed. Usually we leave these things be.

Speaking of front veranda, Hubby is worried I'm taming the chipmunks. They appear as soon as I sit out there because I've been bringing peanuts with me. Yes that will do it.

Lounging in the hydrangea bush behind my chair wondering where is she. 

Sometimes they will eat one in front of me, but most are quickly scurried away to their burrows.

Late in a day back in June, Hubby called to me to come see something over at the big barn. Bring your camera he yelled.  This is what he was showing me and knew I'd like to see.  And forgive me if I've shown you this already...I forget sometimes.

A Giant Leopard Moth...I'd never seen one before and it blended fairly well against the concrete so thanks to Hubby's sharp eye, I got this photo.


Recently I spent a couple happy hours prowling one of the local libraries.  Several books on hold became available for me and I picked them up.  I do love this one, Stitches from the Garden by Kathy Schmitz and think I will purchase my own copy. I love all of Kathy's little patterns.


Meanwhile I'd been waiting for this ebook- What She Ate by Laura Shapiro
Image result for what she ate
 to become available and enjoyed some of the stories much better than others- the first about Dorothy Wordsworth, William's sister, was depressing.  And Helen Gurly Brown talking about sugar free jello as if it was manna from heaven was just sad.  If that's the kind of foolishness it takes to stay skinny, it is definitely not for me!  Preparing food and eating it is one of my great pleasures still and I hope I don't lose my appetite anytime soon. However, these six women highlight how complicated our relationship with food has been and still is.  And reading about all the food did make me feel a little hungry at times, LOL.

I have my Grasshopper BOM blocks up to date and now ready to work on the applique pieces for the main center panel.  Last night I prepped 31 leaves while watching t.v. and also a few of the flower pieces. It will be exciting to bring all these bits together eventually.


Today I'm going to sort through my fabric to figure out what to use for that center panel (fingers crossed I have a section big enough) and hopefully set up some of these pieces to begin stitching. Lots of lovely hand stitching ahead on this sunny last Sunday in July.

Joining other stitchers at Kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts, What a Hoot Quilts and Cooking Up Quilts.







No comments :