Tuesday 1 December 2020

Moody, Memories, Christmas To Do, Table Runner Finish, December OMG

I've been reading about how long it might take for a vaccine to get around to us. Present thought is September 2021. Well now. Surely that's got to be the direst of predictions. Of course, who knows what the reality will be but it's given me pause to think there might be many more months of this ahead for us especially as our numbers keep rising.
 As you know, I have more than enough to keep me busy in the house and around the property but I do think I'm suffering some by not spending the time with the grandsons, daughters and my few friends that I'm used to.  I guess as Doris Day sang, whatever will be, will be. 

Meanwhile, we have been checking our temperatures, something I've very rarely done before all this. Mine is always lower than 37 degrees which I thought had to do with my cold toes and fingers till I read it's normal for the aged (is that really me!!) to run below the norm. 

A year ago, Daughter and I had our little weekend holiday in downtown Ottawa including an afternoon at the National Art Gallery. Here I am beside a print that was made during the time I lived and taught in the artist's community, Pangnirtung, Nunavut on Baffin Island. What an adventure that was!

Happy memories of both and certainly no idea of what was just around the corner which is a metaphor for life really. 

 Goldfinches at the feeder amidst the snow flakes. Snowflakes are tricky to photograph never mind the birds.

 I've moved along one of my table runner projects and it is finished.  The Scandi Snowflake Runner.
  I used a little heat and bond to adhere the snowflakes.
I found the exact shade of red- DMC 816, garnet, in the thread stash that I inherited from Mom. And embroidered a blanket stitch around the snow flakes.

I did not get to finish my Fans for the November OMG, so I'm moving that ahead to be this December's OMG at the Elm Street Quilts Linky Party . It is fun to find a little bit of pretty fabric in the scrap box that looks oriental in design.
I do have a few other projects to make up the five I want to finish for Christmas.  Included is the one below that is going to be a tabletopper. I have the quilting left to do so I hope to get it done this week. I keep thinking someday I will make a log cabin quilt. 
Do you ever do this?  Dig out orphan blocks from the scraps and see if they could fit together somehow. Here are leftovers from Scandinavian Christmas, Quilty 365- the circles, and a couple from I don't remember where. Every day I move one or two hoping a plan will leap out at me.
Pouring down rain for the last few days with no let up in sight has added to the moody feelings. Our snow is now quite patchy and no longer Christmasy.  But here is a photo of Murphy checking out that new fallen snow last week. Our girl looks a little portly in this photo. :)
Someone asked about the mice....I've stopped counting. Every day there was one if not two in the humane traps, one day two in one of them. However, since this recent warmer weather, the traps have been empty four days in a row. 

I'm slowly getting our Christmas things out.  I've decided against the big tree this year but then realized that meant the bird ornaments will not be out. So I may rethink that. Anyway, hope to have my Christmas hangings, etc. up this week for us to enjoy.  Our second load of wood has arrived so more stacking will have to get done when this rain stops. There is always lots "to do" around here.





23 comments :

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your table runner is very fancy! Simon is our table runner, mostly at night. Murphy, don't get lost in the snow pal!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we will decorate as we normally do - we rarely ever have many visitors the whole season I decorate for us. Here too it will be awhile before we get the vaccines but they are talking by spring here but I do not know if that will include me as I have not heard yet if the vaccines are safe for the immune suppressed - I will need to find that out when I see my doctor in February. I haven't even thought to be taking my temperature - to me why bother if you are not around anyone anyhow? Your snow looks very pretty.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! I love the header on your blog. That snowman is so friendly looking. I can see why all the wildlife has gathered near him. I think that September is a fabulous timeline for the vaccine. It's barely out of testing. The magnitude of a worldwide vaccine - think about how to keep it so cold on the banks of the Amazon, or in the wilds of the outback. I suspect you will have it well ahead of the third world countries. I don't mean to sound like I'm chiding you - I think you can turn your thoughts around and see the silver lining. {{Hugs}} HA - my temperature is always below the norm, too. I thought it was because of my cold hands and feet - but instead, it's my age, huh?! Well, I am old now. I remember your outing with your daughter. Thanks so much for linking up today. I do really appreciate it. ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

I'm inclined to think that you live a very full, happy life there - even your pup looks content! Your little fans make me want to go pull out my scraps and make a few. Do take care and stay healthy!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your quilt projects look lovely. I am finding that as the days move along the stay at home order is beginning to affect me more and more. I am trying hard to remain positive, but some days are not that easy.

Libby in TN said...

I'm not doing a tree this year, either, so am looking for ways to make the other decor more obvious.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Jocelyn, your photo of Lucy is so perfectly appropriate for the way many of us feel these days! The Scandi Snowflake runner is so pretty - I love the bright pop of red on the snowy background. Just lovely! Fun idea to play with those orphan blocks, too. It's good that we have so many things we love to do to get us through these challenging times.

Nancy J said...

Murphy in the snow with those deep shadows, truly beautiful. Red snowflakes ,threads from the past, and time to stay safe.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hi Jocelyn--I share your current mood! I think that isolating is getting to all of us but the numbers are so bad that I'm just grateful we are all safe. I love your projects! The fan is lovely, the Scandi table runner is so fun and I love that you are putting together all your orphan blocks, I think it looks great! Keep your chin up! It will be as our next President says, "a long dark winter" but I'm feeling more optimistic because at least there will be a vaccine available sooner or later! Hugs dear friend!

Bernie Kringel said...

I have been toying with the idea of making a scrappy something or other with a Christmas theme. This post has inspired me - I think I might do something like your Scandi runner with the snowflakes and/or pull out a stack of holiday orphan blocks - I know I have them somewhere and see if I can incorporate them into something. Thanks! Hang in there - I know this has been forever. That vaccination cannot come soon enough!

MissPat said...

The Lucy photo sums up many people's feelings right now. I fluctuate from mild depression to let's just get through this. I've started to bring out Christmas things as well. I understand completely about the bird ornaments. We haven't put up a big tree in years and the only thing I miss about it is not seeing my lovely ornaments, collected over many years. I keep trying to think of a way to display them, but haven't settled on one. I do have a number of table top trees, but most of the ornaments are too big to use on them. We have a coating of snow and it's very windy today. I'll think I'll get the quilted Christmas things out today.
Pat

Linda said...

Love that picture of Lucy!
You mustn't say Murphy looks portly, it's "fluffy", which is the term my full figured kitties prefer. ;)
Oh how I love that table runner!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Oh I am so jealous of the snow! I'm looking out at a dark skyline that is supposed to be rain turning to snow so hopefully soon...! I do hear you on the mood, tho personally I'm not sure I want a vaccine. I try to console myself with the fact that our freezer and pantry are full, as is my stash of fabrics and supplies so sometimes I think fine, bring it on! And others, I'm a little mopey and lonely--which surprises me as I'm such an introvert but I think I've just had enough of so many things being cancelled, closed off from us, etc. I am more grateful than ever for the blogging community these days! We get to see pictures of other places (like your Art Gallery one!) and talk about all our projects etc. It has always been "for fun" for me but lately I'm seeing it as much more!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like all of your blocks and projects and the Snow pictures. Very pretty picture of you at the Museum.
I was antsy to just go until 3 weeks ago a friend in Mineral Wells Texas got COVID. Now I am a happy camper to stay at home - I had started going to the local grocery store (mask and gloves included) but now I am back to Curbside - safer for us.

Hang in there - I wish this mess would go away, but I am also going to let the vaccine be around about 6 months before I think about taking it. I want to see what the side effects are and how long it provides immunity. I am very glad that there is a vaccine - most healthy people will probably do fine with it.

Hugs - Keep on keeping on! The boat is getting full though! LOL. Hugs

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your snow scene is what we are seeing here too. Don't know if it will last but they're calling for more over the next few days. Lucky you to get that great photo of the goldfinches- such pretty birds even in their winter plumage.

Verna G said...

I can totally relate to "Lucy" Getting excited about Christmas is not easy. I will not see my grandchildren as they live in another province. We try to remain isolated and our son who lives here is very reluctant to come near us as he works in the public every day. So it may well just be the two of us. And little if any Christmas shopping or baking! I think I will put up our tree. I do love sitting by it . And I know that I should be thankful that we are all well.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I can understand your feeling. We all need hope to cling to, and it can be difficult to be hopeful when the thing we want seems to be so far away in time. Despite everything, 2020 seems to have flown over, so perhaps September 2021 will arrive quicker than we think!

Deb A said...

I need to finish decorating inside and hope the kids and hubby will do the outside this weekend. I find it makes me happy to see my Christmas things so put them up. You sure do have a lot to keep you busy. I have been finding orphan blocks and will be figuring out how to put them together... but mine are smaller bits so they might turn into crumb blocks. We will see. It really is a strange and isolating year 2020.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I think Lucy's face says it all for a lot of people this year! It must be ao hard not seeing family.....Loved seeing the birdies in the snow and your runner is lovely. I am sure a plan will come to mind one day for your orphan blocks. Its such a humid hot day here today I wanted to go rolling in the snow with your little dog lol!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop, we're glad you hopped in!

https://www.bloglovin.com/@sewbird said...

I really like your fan blocks. The embroidery for the spokes was an inspired idea as was the blue background. I have a little collection of similar fabrics. You have inspired my to dig them out for a similar treatment!

Jenny said...

So nice to look back on your weekend trip with your daughter, and I do hope you can repeat it sometime soon. Just a matter of waiting to see what is happening, abididing by the rules, and keeping safe. We will all look back on 2020 and the worldwide changes that happened. Sadly, the virus will no doubt impact on many people's Christmas plans too. As I've read somewhere recently, "this too will pass", better times are sure to arrive.
Oh dear, dont mean to come across all somber, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Patty said...

Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.