Friday 4 June 2021

Three Things About This Picture

 I had to dig out my old brown winter coat for my early morning walk last Friday. 2 c when I got up at 6:45 but Ned didn't care. He is a great walker and only needs the allure of a stick to keep him moving fast. We have proceeded to have very hot weather in between but no rain all week till today and it is pouring buckets as I write this. The garden needed this. 

Daughter is off to a cottage for a few days and I am minding the chickens.  

They have more this year and their eggs have been plentiful including some for us too. 

I'm still feeling distracted with having Ned around so picking up a needle has been intermittent and I still haven't been in the sewing room.  Being able to grab a moment here and there doesn't work for me for the cross stitching. I like to settle in rather than have to keep picking it up and putting it down.  I'm sure that will get better when we have him completely housebroken and past the chewing everything in sight phase. He's a smart fellow so it's on us if he doesn't learn the ropes. 

 That all being said, I did finish my April Block of A Year at Hawk Run Hallow. The house was a bear to stitch so happy to have it finished. 

Gladi at Gladi Porsche Quilts highlighted Wendy Caton Reed's quilts displayed at The New England Quilt Museum  in this post.  Wendy has a wonderful quilting blog, The Constant Quilter. Do take a look, quilters, as they are all so beautiful. 

Ned and I this week...

If only my face was as smooth as it looks in this photo!

                   Three Things About The Above Picture

1. I thought our lockdown would have lifted by now so I could finally get a professional haircut. That hasn't happened so I had to get out the scissors and clippers and do it myself.  It's always a bit too short for the first week or so then I adjust I guess.

2. I'm wearing my Sketchers Bob's slip on shoes. These are great for summer,  provide memory foam support and are washable.  And the soles have a little traction too.  I think I bought mine at the local Mark's. I really like the Bob's Sketcher's Donation Program where for every pair of Bob's sold, the company donates a pair to a child in need- over 9 million donated and counting. (I'm not affiliated in any way- just sharing something I really like.)

3. Ned is now 25 pounds so our lifting days are coming to an end. He got a superlative report from his second vet's appointment on Tuesday. They all loved him especially how friendly he was.  He is growing so fast; I'm enjoying these puppy days with him all the more as they are so clearly short lived.

A couple of in the garden photos... the chipmunk vigorously cleaning itself using its tongue and paws. The paws were a blur so glad to have this shot.

                                  

And  spied from the kitchen window...a groundhog ambled through in a haphazard fashion and finally out the laneway. We have never seen one here before. Poor fellow must be molting or something...looked kind of worse for wear. Hope he is okay. I never knew they had such skinny tails.

What do you think? Is this little one okay?

                         I'll leave you with a little haiku from the famous Basho. Our dragon flies are flitting about despite the temperatures up and down.

Hope your week ends on a high note!

So happy to link with Not Afraid of ColorViewing Nature With EileenKathy's QuiltsMy Corner of the World and It's a Small Town Life.







33 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your photo and the three things about it, Jocelyn! Glad to hear Ned is a happy guy and a good walker. He'll learn the rest! I'm sure he's thriving at your house! The April cross-stitch is lovely!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Ned is a cutie, but he sure is growing. Fresh eggs are just the best!!!

CathieJ said...

Ned is adorable. Love the chipmunk photo. Your cross-stitch is very pretty. I hope your lockdown ends soon.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your puppy looks like a bundle of fun and yes getting big!! you have reminded me that I need to run get a hair cut sometime this week - just a trim. soon you will be back to your routine and not constantly minding Ned - love your house

Nancy J said...

Your days sound very busy, Ned is a good companion for the walks too, and cross stitch, like applique, you need a constant time frame and no gaps in-between stitches or sewing the small pieces down.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I would say you did a good job at trimming those hair.

Jackie said...

Aww, such a cute chipmunk!!!

It has been in the mid to high 30 C range here and no rain. We definitely need more rain so if you could send some this way it would be appreciated.

God bless.

grammajudyb said...

Enjoyed your post immensely! I think you look fabulous! I hate close ups of myself! Heck, I hate all pictures of myself. Loved the haiku

Michelle said...

You look great! Ned seems a handsome fella. We are expecting to bring home a golden retriever pup in mid July. It's been a long time since we have had a puppy in the house. Like you, I will be up and down a lot! lol Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

Karen said...

Your puppy is so sweet. I'm a big fan of Sketchers too.

PaintedThread said...

Look at those eggs! I like your cross stitch. Ned is a cutie! That chipmunk photo is hilarious! Wow, the chuck is mangy looking! The one in our yard is fat and sleek (and better not be eating my tomatoes!!).

Angela Tucker said...

Love your pictures. Ned is going to be picking you up soon! I agree with the dog training. My Jack Jack knows he is ready for the pee party...I just need to move faster than him.

Looking at that stitched house makes MY head hurt. It is beautiful but that's a lot of colors in a tiny space.

Yes, that groundhog is looking a bit worn. LOL Makes you wonder who he met before he got to your area.

Have a fabulous week!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Ned looks like he's growing so quickly! Your cross stitch piece is beautiful. Your handwork is always so perfect. I hope you get to the hairdresser soon. I felt so much better when I got back to the salon. It's a real morale booster!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Ned looks so cute but long as you hold him (you look cute too Diann). This part of raising the baby is hard! My mom's 9 month old pup is still not over the chewing phase and seems very interested in my mom's shoes :D
I love your April needlework! It's fantastic! Hoping that the lockdown is lifted soon! Hugs!

Out To Pasture said...

Great photo of you and the fast growing Ned. You certainly did an excellent job of trimming your hair. Looks great!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jocelyn,
What a great photo of you and sweet Ned! I like your hair, cute do.
I am always clipping my bangs, a little crooked . The chipmunk photo is so cute.
My groundhog was in a battle with another critter? Your sampler is pretty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, I appreciate your visit and comment.

Linda said...

Beautiful cross stitch! And there is nothing quite like a fresh egg is there? Ned is so cute! Since we lost our Buddy back in January, we've been hesitant, but lately we've talked about being open to a new dog, especially if an opportunity comes along. I love that picture of you and Ned, you look fantastic. Thanks for the BOBS referral. I love Skechers, and now that I can wear regular shoes on both feet again, I'm going to head to our Skechers outlet!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always loved seeing groundhogs on the side of the road in NC. And the chipmunks are so cute and hard to photograph! I like your hair and pretty smile. Enjoy your weekend!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I laughed when I saw the chipmunk with his tongue stuck out..very cute. And wow, how Ned has grown!

Jenny said...

Hello Ned! You are right, he's growing fast and will soon be too big for you to pick up. It's certainly a great picture of the two of you. Pups take up a lot of time, but he will soon settle down, then you can quietly stitch again with him at your feet.

Shiju Sugunan said...

An interesting post. I liked the pic of you and puppy. The chipmunk and groundhog pics are cute!

Stewart M said...

Ned looks good fun! We have cats - and I have no idea what would happen if some of your critters walked across out yard. I suspect the cats would go insane!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The eggs look so delicious and so much more appealing in a basket than in a pressed cardboard container from the store. I think that when one collects the eggs one already builds up an anticipation that they will taste better - and they do!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your house stitchery does look like a challenge, so good for you to stick with it!
My hair is almost as long as it was in high school these days... when will the salons open up again!?!?
Thank you for sharing all these lovely photos, especially enjoyed seeing the fresh eggs and your attempt to lift Ned :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

A groundhog and I had a close encounter the other day while I was gardening. He came bounding up within about 2 feet of me. How fun to watch the chickens. I think your hair looks fabulous.

Sue said...

What a gorgeous wee puppy Ned is. Soon he'll be pulling you along!!
Lucky you with fresh eggs!

I love the colors in your heading picture. I think I have some yarn the same in my yarn stash!

Kim said...

Such a cute photo of you and Ned. Why, I think your hair looks great. The April cross stitch is beautiful and it certainly looks as if it would have taken a long time to stitch.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love Bob's I have several pairs. The groundhog really looks bedraggled.

Yvonne said...

Your photo looks amazing, and the pup is so cute. I would love to only have wrinkles, but my under eye dark circles are beginning to look like I darken them with mascara :) Personally, I prefer slightly fuzzed photos of myself. Loved reading this.

Yvonne said...

Ned looks adorable and I am sure that is what he is, but also a handful. I can imagine that you have trouble finding time to stitch with a pup around the house. And there is more around the house.... I love it, we don't have chipmunks and groundhogs in the Netherlands but if we should I would be watching them all day I think.
Your April stitcherie is beautiful!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - fresh eggs make you never want to return to the ones from the "factory"! I love the picture of you and Ned - I am guessing your hair is slightly longer and "wilder" than normal - I think it looks terrific and makes you appear carefree! And your house is stunning!

betty-NZ said...

A great variety of photos from your house!
I love the idea of giving shoes to those in need with every purchase. We have a similar program here in New Zealand for lunches! It's called Eat My Lunch and gives a sandwich/meal to a school child for every sandwich/meal purchased.

I'm happy you chose to share your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

K Reeves said...

Neddy is growing so fast, and your haircut looks quite chic!