Wednesday 15 February 2023

Two Thrift Store Finds, EPP Lone Star, HST Blocks Galore

 We've been enjoying much warmer temperatures and sunshine during the days with freezing overnight; the sunshine makes me think of spring and that brightens my mood. Underfoot the paths continue to be tricky early morning. The deeper foot prints are frozen and you can catch your foot in one. My walk has been reduced to more of a creep around.

On last week's list of what to get done was sew another diamond for the EPP Lone Star Medallion.  I got that done and now hope to finish up another one this week. Yes Susie, these are Minick and Simpson fabrics I'm using.  Loving the sunny day when that photo was taken.

This week I've got to do another YouTube crash course about my good camera, the Nikon P900. The settings have gotten shifted so much with a year's usage, the photos are not as sharp as they used to be. Thankfully, there are lots of knowledgeable folks who can lead me through it. 

I've been rewatching this show in advance of the next season being released finally. It's challenging to remember and hard to believe all the wheelings, dealings and general skulduggery that went on in one family. Good acting too.

Two Thrift Store Finds

Up first is Edyta Sitar's book Scrappy Firework Quilts available on Amazon for $34; mine cost $3.99 but could have been cheaper if I found other books to purchase as a bundle. That would have been easily done but I'm limiting myself with what I bring into the house for 2023. In fact I'm aiming to keep trimming our "stuff" and trying hard not to add to it. 

I've not purchased new fabric in many months. But speaking of just that, have you seen Edyta's latest fabric line called Primrose? You can see all the patterns worked with this line Here at her Laundry Basket Quilts site. They make me think of Mom as these are exactly the colours and prints she would have loved. In fact she had a dusty rose sofa set for a decade or so way back when that seemed to be popular. 

The second thrift item was a bag of vintage threads on pretty wooden spools. The thread was useless, breaking easily when I tried to use it. I've wondered what to do with them. The spools are wooden and look very old. My search turned up this Go Go Kim post with links to 9 ways to use spools. All lovely of course in the hands of the talented.

Here is another link that I think you may find very useful. All the kinds of blocks to be made with mainly HST's.  The Plover Index  I think there are over a hundred different ways to fashion blocks there. Certainly would provide ideas for borders too which I struggle with. 
This week is going well; I'm feeling stronger in spirit than I started this month. I am more optimistic and I hope it continues. I think most of you know that I sometimes (thankfully rarely) have to take time one day at a time as it were and one day recently, I had to take an especially anxious day one hour at a time. Though I was proud of myself for pulling it off, it might not have happened as successfully without wonderful words of support from family. Offered in the moment when I needed them most. If you know someone going through a rough patch, think about reaching out with a kind word or two. It could mean the world to them.
Hope everything is rosy in your garden, whether it is winter or summer outside your window.

19 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the fabric is lovely but I have to remind myself when I see it that it isn't really me and I would be bored with it after awhile as I like brighter better. Walking in the snow sure must be harder exercise then walking on pavement, trails or treadmill. I bet you are getting in a stronger work out in the snow. That book looks like a great find. Have not heard of that show will need to look it up I am caught up in a series called "Hunters" right now

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so sorry that you've been going through a rough patch - look after you and take all the support from your family that you can get.
Your new book looks lovely and I must say wooden spools always catch my eye too. I have several that I think originally belonged to my maternal grandma and I've been using the thread for basting.
You have me curious about that show - is it on Netflix? It looks like one we might like. If you get Netflix, we just binge watched Designated Survivor and loved it (if you can overlook a bit of 'language').

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sunshine and fresh air always lift my mood. I hope it helps you, too, Jocelyn! That chart with all the HST blocks is a great resource - I'll have to find a way to save it for future reference. That is a pretty bundle of fabric from Edyta Sitar - I like the combination of turquoise, pinks, and golds! Is it tempting you?

loulee said...

That book was a great score, and the wooden reels. Love your star, it's coming together beautifully.

Carol Andrews said...

Hi Jocelyn. Sounds like spring might actually be arriving in our country. Here, too, I am dealing with nasty ice and so walking is a cautious adventure. Your Lonestar is coming along so beautifully. I love the colours you are using. Your book looks like a real treasure. I hope you enjoy it and find some new projects to inspire you. It is good to hear you are coping even though some days are not as good as others. Hugs.

Libby in TN said...

Love the colors in Edyta's Primrose line; they would go nicely with my recent purchase. I'll check for it when I stop at Whittle's next week. Take care.

Brian's Home Blog said...

It looks like you were having some thift store fun. Those diamonds are very pretty. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week up that way.

Nancy said...

I am always just a little envious of the bloggers who share their book finds from thrift stores. The quilters in our area must pass on their books somewhere other than the thrift stores I visit!
Thanks for link to the spool ideas. I have quite a few, many with thread still on them that I use if it's strong enough, and others that I've used the thread and emptied the spools. The little carved spools are amazing!

gladiquilts said...

Glad to hear you’re feeling better; so many people are struggling silently and I do believe it helps to acknowledge that, for many different reasons, life is far from perfect and full of challenges for most of us. Like you, because of slippery paths, my woods walks have been limited the past few weeks and I miss them!! Your lone star is looking great. I’m making a batch of HST’s for a donation quilt so your link to the possible arrangements comes at a good time for me 🙂.

Rosa said...

So many great links. I could spend hours chasing down new projects! Lol. And thanks for the reminder that we need to check on each other. This is a rough time of year for so many and the pandemic and other stressors have left a lot of people exhausted, with little to no emotional reserve. It's important to be compassionate to others and to ourselves too, and to remember that we are not alone. I'm glad that things are getting better, that you're feeling better. One day (or one hour or one minute) at a time!

Jenn Jilks said...

I've had similar moments this past month. I hope you made your way through it. I did. Take care.

grammajudyb said...

I , too, am ready for some brighter days. I don’t think I get “ down in the dumps” as my mom used to say. But lately I have been craving sunshine and warm weather. Aren’t those spool ideas grand? I’m sure there are a few you could muster, or maybe they spark another idea. I kind of like the ones with counted cross stitch wraps. And thanks too, for the HST index. The next border on the SAHRR is flying geese. Not my favorite when I have to do the math…but I could use HST to make flying geese. That I can do!

PaintedThread said...

Your star is coming along nicely! I hope you week continues to go well with a minimum of anxiety.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your diamond for the Lone Star is beautiful, and the photo is lovely with the ray of sun! I hope that you are going to feel better and better.
Thank you for sharing the links, and linking up. Hugs.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun thrift store finds, Jocelyn! Like you, I am trying to declutter this year. It's a daunting task, as I want to hold onto ALL the fabric and scraps! Sending a quilty hug for you to save for your next down day. It's a BIG one, so I hope it won't take up too much space! :o))

Angie in SoCal said...

What wonderful finds! Would love to have found that book - a steal at the price. Take care of yourself. I know what is it to have some rough patches now and then. Thoughts and prayers for you.

Linda said...

That is a great price on the Edyta book, and what fun to find vintage spools of thread. I'm glad you are feeling stronger in spirit. It's amazing how strongly our mind affects our body, isn't it? I'm glad you have good family support, and please know that your blogging community supports you with great affection. :)

Chantal said...

Love your Lone Star. It's coming along beautifully. You took a great picture with the sunlight on it. Kudos! I love and keep all the wooden spools I can find. They are rare in Canada. Thanks for the link. It looks like Kim has great ideas too.
My youngest son suffers from depression. We had to place him in a residence last week. The toughest thing I've ever done. I pray for you and him to find solace in the nicer weather, the sunshine, the people around you, a simple little flower peeking through, the world is still amazing and so are you. 🧡💛💚💙💜💖 ;^)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I totally understand about your rough time. I am having a bad week and attribute it to the weather along with aggravation of senseless issues that stupid people start! Wednesday was 96 degrees - today it is 58 degrees, this has been the worst winter weather - if you call cold/hot/warm/cold winter. I do hope that you are feeling better. I will keep you in my thoughts! Hugs