Sunday 19 April 2020

Isolation Still and Continuous Small Treats

I forwarded this photo to Daughter who had given me this fun puzzle. Another Cobble Hill 1000 piece and I'm enjoying the challenge of this one very much. She had also dropped off my groceries which included this lovely red apple. Always grateful!
I work on this when I'm waiting for something to cook in the kitchen and I usually listen to an audio book or a YouTube video at the time.  I'm a follower of Dr. John Campbell who predicted this pandemic and said all the right things about testing needs and quarantining right from the start back in January. He is not political at all and just presents the international facts, figures and science of this event. I was especially interested in his ongoing discussion about Vitamin D.
I've put up another spring type hanging. This is one I stitched a couple years ago along with the Kathleen Tracy group at Country Lane Quilts as a free mystery project.  I used it to practice my machine sewing which still needs work and I got to a point of unsewing with this one that I said okay not any where near perfect but done.  That ever happen to you?
 I have a fondness for tulip motifs in all their various forms.
My fabric for cross stitching finally arrived, a 28 count Cashel in flax colour.  The little company shipped it out in timely fashion but it took two weeks to arrive here; a whole week to land in my mail box after arrival in Ottawa. I'm not complaining just happy to finally receive it. But that explains my small progress on this chosen project which I can already tell I will enjoy stitching.
I've started at the January block so I'm either far behind or far ahead depending on how you look at it!

Here is another of the Flower Garden blocks I'm hand stitching using freezer paper templates. I'm loving this project and think I will keep making them....see where the journey takes me, LOL.
Thanks again to Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for hosting the SAL and providing these free patterns and tutorials, along with much interesting reading in her posts.
A little inspiration....
     This is the work of Valerie Greeley and you can check out more of her lovely watercolour artwork Here at her blog Acorn Moon and her website,  Valerie Greeley, Miniature Artist.
This one, O is For Owl, is just 3 inches square and features one of the endangered Barn Owls of Britain. It requires a magnifying glass to paint details so fine.  I'm in awe.                     
Time for our monthly SAL link up hosted by Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea.  Many hand stitched projects have been completed since we began this stitching journey together.  And more interesting pieces begun.
AvisClaireGunCaroleSueConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganDeborah, MaryMargaretRenee, CarmelaJocelynSharonDaisyAnneConnieAJJennyLauraCathieLindaSherrie


So happy to link with Kathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than Housework.


34 comments :

Pyros & Patch said...

Dear,we have been home for over a month.Working with the hands helps us to calm our thoughts...a hugs!
Carmela

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes over a month now - crazy isn't it. And one wonders how much longer this stay at home will be - with limited restrictions it might not be too bad for us we never did a lot of running around anyway but I know a lot are finding it very hard with not being employed right now and I totally understand that.

K Reeves said...

Your fabric finally arrived Hurrah! This will be a fun sampler, too! Your hand piecing is looking beautiful. :) Glad to hear you are safe and well.

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

The sampler will make a great SAL project as it's easily split up into smaller sections. You can have 12 mini Happy Dances with that one :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

These are wonderful!!!

Laura said...

I look forward to seeing your cross stitch progress. It is always fun to start something new.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects you have going, and lovely quilt. I was trying to figure out, are we supposed to applique that Pieces of the Past Flower garden block to a 9.5 inch block?

Eva H. said...

Jocelyn,you are so good handworker.Nice work!
I´m sewing "only"masks for covid-19.But it is nice work in this hard time.
Best wishes Eva

Out To Pasture said...

I found Dr. Campbell's analysis of the virus in different countries fascinating. Especially the part about the developing 'herd immunity'. You have a lot of pretty projects lined up, Jocelyn. I'm keeping myself well fed and well entertained as well. Been grateful to my ancestors for passing on nice healthy genes. Looking forward to the gardening season and drop in visits again.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your tulip quilt is lovely! I like the appliqued center with lots of patchwork forming the borders. The cross-stitch pattern looks like a sweet project for the year, too! I appreciate the scientists in our world right now, that's for sure - I'll have to listen to your video, especially curious about the Vitamin D.

Brian's Home Blog said...

So many pretty things. Boy, that puzzle looks like it is a real doozy!

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Fab work and lovely to see the puzzle too. My mum is a great jigsaw person and she has been doing lots to keep herself busy while we are in lockdown.... keeps her out of mischief! Looking forward to seeing how your Rabbie Burns project develops. Jenny :)

Nancy J said...

I am doing online jigsaw puzzles, to try and keep at least part of my body active ( the brain)!!! Love the owl, and to have goodies arrive in the mail, we can only get parcels if they are essential!!! I had hoped fabric might get in that category, but NO, you can get whiteware, electrical goods, seeds, groceries online and delivered, and wool. I think that wool is so necessary, occupy our minds and hands.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Love your quilt...your Cross Stitch is pretty, can't wait to see the progress you make on this..Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Great projects and the cross stitch looks lovely. What a beautiful owl picture.

Magpie Sue said...

That puzzle looks like a workout! A fun one though. Nice choice for the new cross stitch project. We're going to enjoy seeing that in the weeks to come.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That puzzle looks like a fun one to do.

Sunny said...

Oooh, I love that puzzle! I don't have anywhere to leave one out of the reach of my Very Helpful Cats. and I'd say that you're getting a very early start on your cross stitch project :)

PaintedThread said...

I need more time to do puzzles. So much fun.

Still love that owl. :-)

Kim said...

Oh wow, that teeny little owl is amazing. How on earth did the lady stitch something so small, so beautifully. Love your Flower Garden block and your new cross stitch is a beauty. Hope you enjoy a pleasant week enjoying a little stitching.

Anonymous said...

you've certainly been keeping busy ^^
claire93

Linda said...

I love your tulip wall hanging, especially the patchwork parts of it. I keep thinking about getting out some cross stitch but I have too many projects to start and can't choose between them! The Flower Garden block is really pretty.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad that your fabric arrived and now you can play with (on?) it. I actually thought for sure that puzzle was real cookies!

Nancy said...

I didn't listen to Dr. Campbell's video but if he's encouraging taking or taking an increase of Vitamin D, I think I'm good.
Your tulip quilt is delightful -- the fabric, the colors, all wonderful!
That's a great star or, I think you call it a flower. Will you set them with spacing between or next to each other?

Gun said...

What a funny puzzle! your new project looks great!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness-that miniature art is unbelievable. Thank you for the link to Dr Campbell- I just spent a half hour watching him- fascinating and informative. So much better than what we have seen here in the U.S.! Love your Spring quilt.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Loving that Tulip! We work on puzzles all the time around here. One of my favorite things to do.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love puzzles too ;) Your Flower Garden block is beautiful!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - that is an awesome puzzle. Are those Day of the Dead cookies, or ceramics? You can tell I might need an afternoon snack! I am going to check out Dr. John Campbell - thanks for the tip. I think you should definitely consider yourself ahead of the curve with the cross-stitch - the power of positive thinking!

Kate said...

Love the tulip mini! Very pretty, you'd never know it wasn't perfect. I'm a big fan of done rather than perfect as it seems I'm the only one who sees the flaws in most of my projects, so why let it bother me? Your other projects look like fun. The Flower Garden block is lovely. Happy stitching.

Teresa said...

Enjoyed reading your blog this morning. The embroidery in the banner - did you do that? It is so pretty and I love the star blocks your are EPP'ing. You have so many pretty crafts on your blog.

LA Paylor said...

Hi Jocelyn... thanks for the doctor's link to real info. the puzzle looks like lots of fun!

Sharon Wayne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.