Wednesday 1 July 2020

Patchwork Maple Leaves, Hand Piecing Stars, Free Pattern

A special day. It is Canada Day today Wednesday, July 1.  I have a couple of Canadian things to share. One of the Quilt Bible blocks is a maple leaf, rather an iconic symbol of Canada. It pleases me to see how many maple trees are growing on this property.  I pieced one block to get a hang of it and in colours that match the others. A couple of things could have been done differently so I guess I'm still learning.
Then I thought of making one to match the Solidarity blocks, in reds and pinks.  After all our flag is red and white. The motif in the darker fabric was the closest thing I have to maple leaves. That was fun.
My plan for July is to keep working on my hand stitching projects, of which I have a few. 😊
 I've pieced 10 of these Flower Garden Blocks to date.  Perhaps 2 more would be enough and I'll get it rigged up for hand quilting.  That will be my July goal at Elm Street Quilts .  
Here is a tutorial and pattern that made me excited this week.  It is offered by the kind folks at New Quilters, a site I'm registered with.  I've been adding to my red scraps from the Solidarity Blocks. When this landed in my mail box, I thought it would be a pretty way to use them up.  The Rose block- a scrappy, fun to sew but controlled block that can look impressive when all the blocks are sewn together. I seem to have more red scraps than any others so I'll give one block a try.
I've been veranda stitching at some point most days. Our rain has come in brief showers and late in the day.  Just right to freshen the air and cool things down a bit. 

The red squirrels come around when I'm out there; normally they don't venture on the veranda.  They are not afraid of Murphy and this one lay down, closed its eyes for a while and had a little rest. Of course, the moment I raised the camera, the eyes popped open. 
This is a chipping sparrow (I think...there are so many sparrows) warming in the sun after taking quite a vigorous bath. Shot through my living room window. Who knew birds enjoy bathing so much!
Please enjoy your stitching and hobbies, stay safe, wear masks, and hydrate or cuddle up where ever you are in this big wide wonderful world...which it still is despite all the goings on!
I'll leave you today with a wonderful fun video made by Clark W. that puts a smile on my face every time I watch it.  All true!


34 comments :

Eva H. said...

So wonderfull will be patchwork.
Take care of yourself and your family.
Eva

PaintedThread said...

I like your rose blocks. That squirrel looks seriously chill. lol

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those rose blocks!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those maple leaves are very cool. Happy Canada Day from all of us!

Nancy J said...

The video, very clever, and so fitting as it included so much, Love your wild life, the bushy tails are always a delight to see. Happy Canada Day to you and yours.

Northern Quilter said...

Your video made this transplanted Canuck very homesick. Thank you for the reminder that I come from a great country. Happy Canada Day from the southern US.

Jenny said...

What a lovely happy video, I really enjoyed watching. Ketchup chippies, really?
Beautiful maple blocks you have made. I've got my two Maple Block quilts outcast the moment one on the wall and the other on the back of the couch.

audrey said...

I've always intended to make a maple leaf quilt myself, though it definitely speaks of Canada these days! Lovely to see your projects coming along.:)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Don't know which I like better - the maple leaf or the roses. I think the roses would win because they remind me of crazy quilting.

Needled Mom said...

Happy Canada Day! Your maple leaves look so nice and I love your roses. That’s a fun technique.

MissPat said...

Happy Canada Day. Great video.
Pat

Nancy said...

Happy Canada Day a little late, Jocelyn. Your maple leaves look great, your little sparrow is adorable, and the video is too fun!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy (belated) Canada Day Jocelyn! Love your photos and always am inspired by your sewing. Have a safe and happy weekend!

Patty said...

Enjoy! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Love your red maple leaf...The Rose blocks are awesome...I really like red, it's one of my favorite colors...listened to your Canada video...that is so cool...I've been to Canada once, and loved it. Have a great day!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Your maple leaves look wonderful. I love the red and white traditional colored one, but your green one really speaks to me. I love the look of your Rose blocks, as well. Boy, that birdie was nice and puffy after his vigorous bath isn't he?! I can just picture all of the splashing about. Stay safe! ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Canada Day, Jocelyn! I love your maple leaves - they are a favorite block of mine. Those rose blocks are beautiful, too - and they look fun to make! Just sew and trim! It' so fun to see the squirrels when they're hot and just all stretched out on a branch like that. Great photo!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your maple leaves are lovely. The pic of the squirrel is cute, and so is the little bird. Oh my gosh that video was great.

Veronica Lee said...

I really enjoyed the video! My sister and a handful of cousins live in Canada.

Love the photos too!

Needled Mom said...

Your maple blocks are really pretty, but I love the rose blocks. That’s such a fun technique. That’s such a cute picture of the squirrel.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, happy belated Canada Day! I love both the Maple leaves and the rose blocks. Your squirrel looks cute resting there, the Chipping Sparrow is a sweetie too. Great captures! Take care! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is a Chipping Sparrow for sure. Miriam, a fellow quilter, is looking through your blog right now. She like the maple leaf.

Adam Jones said...

Lovely quilts and a cute looking sparrow.

Calendula said...

Perfect patchwork!
The photo of the squirrel is gorgeous!

betty-NZ said...

Your quilting pieces are just fabulous to see! I sure wish I had the talent (and patience) to make a huge quilt!
Love the visitors, they are so fun to see :)

'My Corner of the World' is happy to see you this week! Thanks for linking.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful post, I really enjoyed the song. You have made some beautiful blocks. Love the photo of the squirrel and the bird.

Cheryll said...

I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day... and I love the wildlife on display too.

LA Paylor said...

That video!!! still smiling... pet polar bear... the squirrel is so cute... we used to see them drape their four legs over the top of our hanging chair frame in MD and sleep.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Your blocks are all pretty! Have a great day!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your piecing always looks perfect! I love that Rose Block. I'm going to look into that one. Great pictures of the bird and squirrel!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Hope you had a wonderful Canada Day. I love your rose blocks a lot, and your squirrel made me smile. Thanks for linking up with the Chameleon's Colour & Inspiration Tuesday. :)

Rumpelkammer said...

wonderful photos
and I love the the squirrel and the bird ;)

Rosi

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jocelyn what a lovely post ,your blocks are beautiful,you are very clever my friend,well done. Oh I love the pic of your squirrel he is so cute,hope your day is a good one my friend xx

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I am laughing and laughing and laughing at that video! I was responsible for several manufacturing facilities in Canada, so I can recognize most of what I heard. Thanks for the entertainment - we all need a good laugh now and then!