Thursday 9 July 2020

Important Inspiration, Another Thankful Thursday List

I love being the first one up in the morning.
 Doing all the tiny chores to start the day. With those done, lately I've been heading out to the veranda with my cup of tea and just sitting drinking it all in (literally and figuratively).   It being the summer-ness of it all with the greens, flowers, bees, birds and blue sky. 
 Just now two ravens checked out the water tub, took turns taking rather dainty sips for the size of those beaks, and then flew silently, swiftly low to the ground up the laneway.  What will those two get up to, I thought.
Glorious sunshine every day lately but hot and dry.  Our little pond which is a really a vernal pool, begins to shrink at this time of year. When we see the beige clay around the rim we know it has begun. Because there are so many critters living in it, we help out with a hose hooked up to the well and add water some days. But a good downpour usually does the trick too if only that would happen regularly which it doesn't.

 Watering everything including bird baths is a twice daily chore for me as long as this no rain pattern continues.  But I'm not complaining at all. These chores keep me moving and it is bliss to be outside with the sun shining and birds twittering. 
One morning I surprised this fellow who had come to the pond for a drink.  I love how they pause to look back after running off to a safe distance. Just a little one with another in the background. Amazing how they blend in.
Six more blocks of the Dreamy Hearts have been made and a couple more ready to be appliqued this weekend.   I find it very soothing to do applique preparations for my three ongoing projects that require it.             
I've followed many of you stitching the wonderful and free Moda Blockheads patterns. Loads of inspiration in seeing your fabric choices, etc. for each unique block.  When I saw this one, I thought it was especially neat. A great one to use up smaller scraps, a quilting activity many of us enjoy doing.  It's the Corner Garden Block by Robin Pickens.  I think that's one of her pretty fabric lines as well.
                                  Corner Garden Quilt Blocks- Robin Pickens
I loved having both grandsons here for a swim last week. That's Jack, the fifteen year old, and Robbie, the six year old, on his dad's shoulders. They had a lot of fun playing water volleyball till the ball landed on the lawn and Murphy very proudly "caught" it with her teeth.   
I kept my distance and wondered for the umpteenth time, when is this all going to end. About that, I am so happy the mayor of Ottawa has mandated the wearing of masks for all indoor public places. Finally!
I hope you are all feeling not too hot or not too cold depending on which season you are experiencing but are wearing your masks, nonetheless. 
One last burst of inspiration...the multi- talented LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color saw my cardinal photo in this post and painted this. I love how LeeAnna is activily engaged in so many activities that encourage self-growth and shares her journey (including many links) with us. 
Isn't it lovely!  What a treat to receive this in my mail. Thank you!








 













31 comments :

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such beautiful photos and fun in the pool looks great too!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! That pool and your grandsons look so nice. It's wonderful that they can visit even if they have to keep their distance. It's a small bit of normal. I love your heart project as well - makes me want to cut out a few hearts myself for something. I wonder, too, what the ravens found to get into. Certainly something! ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are always so many things to like in your posts, Jocelyn! Your property is just beautiful - so glad you can enjoy it and all the wonderful wildlife. Love your hearts, too! Have a wonderful day!

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, you're so lucky to be surrounded by beautiful nature rather than the noise, bustle and congestion of a suburban environment! I enjoy watching the birds feasting at the feeder beyond my window and have thought of adding a bird bath, but there doesn't seem to be a spot where it would make sense in my tiny yard. Your sweet appliqué hearts look lovely, but I'm the opposite of how you feel -- I absolutely LOATHE the prep work for appliqué, but I find the actual hand stitching incredibly soothing once the prep work is done!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thank you for the blockhead post! I love that pattern and printed it out! I love your hearts and just enjoyed passing the morning with you! PS, I couldn't see LeeAnna's photo but I went to her website--it's lovely! We keep each other inspired! Have a great day!

grammajudyb said...

Lovely post today! I couldn’t see LeAnna’s photo either. But she sure is talented, isn’t she?

Radka said...

I love your Corner Garden blocks, lovely colours!
I too like to take my morning drink outside and just sit and watch our tiny garden; unfortunately not much of that going on recently, it has been rather wet, but we did need that rain, it could stop now :-)
xx

PaintedThread said...

Your hearts are wonderful - such smooth lines. I've been watering, too, and I love how the birds all flock to the birdbath when I've replaced the water. How nice to have grandkids over. Stay safe! (ps - also can't see the last picture).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your area it is so pretty - I should purchase a birdbath I have never gotten one - I love that big pond area that you have. We have a pond in the woods but it doesn't hold water all year round it just is a place for water run off to run to and fill up and then slowly leaks out. Morning is the best time to be outside, glad you can see your family that is good. I wish we had mask mandated here as well too many do not wear and the situation has gotten so political it is crazy

LA Paylor said...

thank you for putting my little painting on but it went away... that's happened to me with blogspot. You just go back and put it in again.
Your water scene is so gorgeous... breathtaking. I looked a long time at the bird shot too... LeeAnna

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the pretty hearts...so feminine and sweet. I love the deer! Enjoy your week.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What an idyllic view around that pond! Obviously the deer were enjoying it too (and getting a much-needed drink in the heat too). Any chance you can re-load the cardinal picture? It's not there - at least not that I can see anyway.

piecefulwendy said...

I wonder what those ravens are up to too! I almost missed that little deer in your photo. That Moda Blockheads block was a pretty one; I was tempted to make just that one. I can see why you enjoy getting out in your yard - it's beautiful!

kiwikid said...

You have a wonderful view to look at and enjoy. How special to see the deer. The blocks are lovely, nice to have the family visit.

kiwikid said...

Forgot to say your hearts are beautiful 😁

loulee said...

I always thought Ravens and Crows were the seven year old boys of the bird world. LOL Full of cheek and up to mischief. LOL
You live in wonderful surroundings. Love your posts about your great outdoors.

Linda said...

I always enjoy photos of your property, so beautiful and peaceful. How nice that your family can come and enjoy your pool!
I've chosen a few of the Blockheads and saved them to make "someday". They've had some good free patterns.
Texas has forced us to wear masks now - ugh.

Shannon said...

We have been having lots of no-rain time (and twice daily watering) but it's pouring here now and I'm so grateful!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh to be outside in that beautiful landscape. Dreamy Hearts look vintage💕💕. You have a smart mayor. I’m sure you have seen our governor. What a piece of work. Glad to see you spent some family time.
There is a blank square instead of the photo from Lee Anna’s painting.
Enjoy the day.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

You have a lovely place with the pond and the pool. I am sure the critters love visiting the pond. we could use some rain too, it seems to miss us. Love the raven, the deer and Lee Anna's Cardinal. The dreamy hearts are beautiful. You seem to keep busy, it is nice to have your grandsons visiting. Take care and stay safe! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for the visit and comment.

Adam Jones said...

I love being the first up in the morning too. It feels like it all belongs to me. Lovely pictures.

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing all your outdoor pictures! It's so nice to see what's going on in other parts of the world. We don't have ravens here, so he was a special treat!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your applique always looks so perfect! I love your Moda project too! Great pictures of your outdoor area. It looks so peaceful. It's so nice to have your family visit. The pool looks very inviting!

QuiltGranma said...

what a lovely view you have, hope that pond does not breed mosquitos!

Anu said...

Lovely post.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely projects, and scenery. Always love seeing your birds!

Miaismine said...

Nature likes are so beautiful! Those photos are amazing! Your heart appliques are beautiful...just beautiful. Yes, Lee Anna is one of my faves....:)

Judy Hansen said...

Thanks for posting about how nice it is to have coffee outside. I followed your lead, and it was wonderful. The birds sing so sweetly. I love your hearts, so pretty. Thanks for showing your work with us at Design Wall Monday.

Kim said...

Such a beautiful part of the world in which you live and enjoy. I can in my mind's eye see you sitting there drinking both the gorgeous views and a hot cuppa. Love those pretty hearts of yours.

Stewart M said...

Thats a great looking pond - I suspect it attracts a lot of wildlife.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh your pond looks like such a serene place! I wish we could have regularly rains too but I can't complain as we have had more than usual this year. I try to keep some water out for the birds. Sometimes they drink for quite awhile as if they are really hot and thirsty and I am so glad I took the time to fill the dish!