Saturday 29 August 2020

Birthday Thoughts, Stars Not in the Sky, Mr. Fix-It, What To Do With Leftovers

 So I had a birthday last week.  I walked around all day thinking now I am 69, what exactly am I feeling. I kept waiting for some sort of revelation from that big number, the one before 70. And true to life that when you chase something down. thinking you can run it to the ground and capture it, it doesn't happen. I had a perfectly normal day doing the things I usually do; however, with a heightened sense of how lucky I was to be here in this safe spot, moving my body with comfort, thinking clear thoughts and breathing fresh air.  Maybe that was my revelation, that what we crave is normalcy. If we are in a good and comforting space, then we don't want it to end or to change a thing.  Enough is enough.

I do have plans for this year. Nothing grand, just me going about my business but hopefully putting more effort into certain aspects of my life. For instance, I'm going to work harder at my overall fitness. I don't particularly have strength or flexibility but I do (used to) have endurance. More work on strength and stretching then it will be.  Right now, my motivation is strong to do this. Fingers crossed it stays with me. 

Above, wildflower Goldenrod in bloom; taken hastily because there were wasps!

Our good spell of all appliances working well ended recently.  Last week the dryer stopped drying though running fine. Hubby had to take it apart and did find the problem- the heating coil had a complete break in it.  I did some flashlight holding and now know more about the insides of a dryer than I ever wanted to. But clever Hubby found the problem, ordered the part online, had it in two days, put everything back together perfectly and now our dryer is drying again! He saved us a bundle in the process and I told him the added bonus was working his brain too. 😊

I made a decision about the Flower Garden blocks from Melva Loves Scraps  Pieces of the Past SAL.  I'm going to stop at 19 which should give me a nice sized table topper.  That means 2 1/2 more to make which I hope to get done soon. I think having this one finished and on a table will be my September OMG at Elm Street Quilts.  I'm still loving the hand stitching. Keeping my hands busy while watching t.v. has never changed for me. I think I'm addicted!

At Melva's link there you will find the latest block for her SAL, the India Star pattern, another pretty star. Thank you Melva for hosting this look at the past through quilt blocks.

I had a profound SQUIRREL moment recently. Items crop up in my mail from Pinterest and a pattern called Easy Hexagon Star Quilt caught my eye. I thought of my small and scrappy stash of Kaffe prints that I don't know what to do with and how much I love a pattern that miraculously makes a star somehow as this one promised to do, so figured I would give it a go.

Here is the link I followed to Calvin and Carolyn and their tutorial. How generous of them! You can see the version of this with white hexagons and colourful points which is a great scrappy project.

And here are a couple photos of what I've made so far. Ten blocks across is pretty much double bed size.

Fun too to have a project that gets stitched up quickly on a machine for a change.

Is this a pattern that would turn your head?

I'm looking up a couple of links to sales and then it's into the sewing room to prep enough hand work to see me through the weekend. Oh, remember the spaghetti sauce I made; it was way too much for one meal so I've looked up what to do with it. I found this site, 18 Delicious Ways to Use Leftover Spaghetti Sauce, and one of the ideas is to use it as a base for soup. Going to do that today too.  

What's cooking at your house?

Happy to link this post with Sandra at MMMQuilts who is hosting our squirrel projects. Also linking with Kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh QuiltQuilting Patch Applique, Our World Tuesday and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.









34 comments :

Brian's Home Blog said...

Happy Belated Birthday from all of us. Dang, our Dad would never get that dryer back together, hooray for your Hubby. Those blocks are so colorful and pretty.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy birthday! Thanks for the recipe link. LOVE those Hexagon Stars!!!

Libby in TN said...

That's a good use for Kaffe prints. The gray really calms them down.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hope your birthday was great. Anymore, any uneventful day is great for me! I agree with your thought "what we crave is normalcy". I fear, living in the USA, I no longer have a clue what is normal. What I crave is peace, both in my personal space and around the globe. My husband used to be able to fix ANYTHING. RA makes it difficult for him, but luckily he can guide my grandson. My youngest grandson says with Papa's brain and his brawn they can fix anything together. My oldest grandson takes advice but would rather do it his own way until he realizes Papa was right, lol. I will be 69 in October. I have had a lot of changes in the past couple of years both mentally and physically.

I like that hexi star quilt and got a PDF of it. I really like hexi shapes.
xx, Carol

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

At our age, a birthday does make you stop and sort of take stock of things! A perfectly normal day sounds lovely - I'm always thankful for those. Your hexagon star is wonderful, Jocelyn! I love the dark gray against the bright prints. Do you have a hexagon template or ruler to cut those with? I think that's a great squirrel project, and you're definitely moving right along!

Kate said...

At my house, I disappear into my sewing room and come out to find some appliance all over the floor, along with a request that I order a part. Right now, there is one spread across the living room.
Those are pretty hexagons.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have used pasta sauce for a soup base too and it worked out really well. I have my 68th birthday in about a month and makes me feel like I am getting old and I have to remind myself well I am getting older aren't I! Not a spring chick anymore. I too need to work on my strength and flexibility I guess that is one thing we all loose over time. Nice you both were able to get that dryer fixed without calling a repairman! I like your star hexies and yes I like to sit with hand work too - it is so relaxing to a lot of us

Ruth Hiebert said...

Happy belated birthday. Hope your dreams and plans will be fulfilled.

PaintedThread said...

Happy birthday! Yay for a working dryer - it's never good to see a big appliance in that many pieces on the floor! What fun hexagons!

piecefulwendy said...

I love the hexie star pattern - my daughter just gave me some larger hexies, and I think this might be what I need for them, so thanks! Happy Birthday!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm also 69 and wondering how it happened to me--lol! I will be 70 in October. I don't know what it is about that age that just seems OLD. I had a bit of deja vu seeing your dryer like that. We had the exact same issue with out dryer earlier this spring. The heating element had to be special ordered as our dryer is pretty old, but I was pretty impressed that my hubby got it all figured out and saved the day. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous seeing my dryer all over the laundry room floor! Too bad we couldn't save the washer, range, and microwave that all gave up the ghost in the last year. Enjoy 69--seventy will be here before you know it!

MissPat said...

How lucky you are to have a handy hubby. There is no way I would ever let my husband take an appliance apart. Good idea to make a table runner from the Flower Garden blocks. I can't remember if I wished you a Happy Birthday earlier or not, so here's another birthday greeting. One can never have too many good wishes. We got over 2 inches of rain on Thurs and now it's cooling off for a few days. Hope you have a restful weekend.
Pat

Nancy J said...

Congrats on your birthday, and many happy days this year. Love the hexies, and what a guy to be able to fix the dryer, keep him close by.

Pink Rose said...

Well done on your beautiful work and also wishing you a late birthday wish,hope you had a lovely day xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is amazing the things we fix today that we would never have attempted in the past - at least I wouldn't have - but now there is always a You Tube video to walk you through it step by step.

Needled Mom said...

Happy birthday to you. That dryer on so many pieces sent chills down my spine. Glad you have a handy husband who was up for the challenge. Your he is are going to be beautiful. That’s a great design.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jocelyn!!! Have a great week and I hope nothing else breaks!!!

K Reeves said...

Happy birthday Jocelyn! I applaud your goal at strength and flexibility, I need to join you in that! I used to walk 2 miles daily without fail, but my walking partner has aged to the point that we don't get very far, and my daily exercised has nose dived. I need to be more independent and just go, but it was so comforting to have Max with me, but also keeping me accountable. Who could resist his happy face leaping up to smile at me when the alarm went off at 5. Oh well, I can do this, thanks for the gentle kick in the pants!

Quilter Kathy said...

Happy Birthday! Your hubby is a genius for being able to repair a dryer problem! You should hire him out LOL
I'm the same with watching TV... can't do it unless I'm stitching something!
Enjoy your hand stitching!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Happy Birthday and you are so right we just want things to be non stressful and normal. I am the flashlight holder at my house and yes handy husbands are worth their weight in gold. I will have to remember that line that he is exercising his brain for when my husband is a bit frustrated with his project. HEHE

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Happy Birthday from me too! Your Kaffe hexis are looking yummy. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Jenn Jilks said...

I've not been cooking much, well.
Well done with your work.
Happy birthday! I turn 64 in December.

Bonnie said...

I was just reading something about how exercising helps the brain continue to develop connections. One of many reasons I walk almost everyday. Somedays I'm dragging and sometimes I chipper and moving at a fast pace but I know I have to do it to keep moving (and now to keep thinking too.) I've made a quilt using a 60 degree ruler -- might need to pull that book out and take a second look at it. Your stars are looking great.

dq said...

I hope your 69th was grand! It sounds like a wonderful age, especially as I approach it.

I am certain using leftover spaghetti sauce for soup base is fabulous! Let us know how it goes!

I also like your decision to stop with 19 Flower Garden blocks. YOu will be able to cross it off your list soon.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Happiest of (albeit now belated) Birth Day wishes! You have a real handyman there - can't imagine taking that apart and being able to put it back together again or even knowing what was wrong with it! Good for him.

Stewart M said...

Hi - my whole family is in lockdown here, so there are often multiple ideas about how to use left overs for lunch the next day. If the truth be told I am going to miss our family lunch times when we finally escape from lockdown!

Cheers - Stewart M - Locked Down Melbourne

Nann said...

Good for your husband -- figuring out and fixing the dryer! .... The hexagon stars are a fine squirrel! A great way to show off either a coordinated or a varied group of fabric. Good for fussy-cut elements, too. Have a great year!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - belated happy birthday! As they say, it's just a number! And I think you hit the nail on the head - we all crave normalcy. Well done to your hubby for fixing the dryer. I love my hubby, but he probably would have called "the man". My head is usually turned by cool cross-stitch patterns!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely projects, and belated Happy Birthday! Love the flower garden and hexies!

Sandra Walker said...

I keep wanting to do another hexagon project, did a ton back in the day of Stack 'n Whack using that very same method (so slick) to assemble them. Great use of your Kaffe fabrics. And yay for husbands who are so handy. I've just noticed a couple of days ago some goldenrod glowing in bloom around here, that with the purple asters always heralds fall for me. Thanks for linking up with DrEAMi, and happy birthday! Check out Yin yoga for flexibility (and meditative practice).

Susie of Arabia said...

Happy Birthday! I'm right behind you - I'll turn 69 in October. I love your quilting designs. I can't quilt too much anymore because of the stress in my shoulders, neck, and back!!!

Deb A said...

Happy belated birthday! You sent me down the rabbit hole looking for the flower garden blocks - they are pretty cute! Good luck getting yours into a topper this month. I had to laugh at the dryer situation - if my Dad was trying that.... my Mom would have to get a new dryer! My hubby - he is more like yours and could solve and fix the issue. It is always a challenge to use up leftovers but soup is a great 'clean out the fridge' solution any time of the year. I think it will be mexican chicken skillet for dinner at my house tonight - everyone likes it and it takes under 30 minutes to make.

Tanza Erlambang said...

Happy belated birthday...lovely project

Patty said...

Happy sewing! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.