Thursday 27 August 2020

Journey Around the Sun, What's Cooking, Yellow Bird, "After Quilts" and OMG

Pouring down rain today but that's okay. I've been outside a lot lately so this is good to be in and taking stock, catching up on a bit of housework, etc. I was up early and made a spaghetti sauce for supper tonight. I like to simmer it for a long time and a tip when using tomatoes in sauces, always add a little sugar to cut the acidity.  I'm thinking of making Baked Spaghetti which sounds odd but is so good. Here at Spend With Pennies you'll find an easy recipe.

Amy at  Diary of a Quilter shared a post I liked about how to choose the batting for a quilt. This is important. For instance, I always wondered if I hand tied a quilt which batting would be best for that method of quilting. 

This video from Karen Brown at Just Get It Done Quilts  was also interesting. I've never given much thought to the different sizes of precuts you can get nowadays with regard to which are the best bang for your buck. Thanks, Karen, for such a great video.

My quilting time this week has been focusing on my Dreamy Hearts cause I think I set a goal at Elm Street Quilts to have it to the flimsy stage. Not quite but progress none the less. I'll blame August for somehow sprouting wings- it's going by so fast. Below my first row of three blocks of nine hearts each. It's so long I had to hang it up for a photo. How long, you ask. Don't know. Measuring is not my strong suit, but I'll find out. I do know it was wide enough for a double bed as I always use the spare room bed to lay out my blocks.

For fun I made a tiny after quilt which Karen also explained in this video.  I sewed together several of the rejected blocks left over from my Farmer's Wife venture to incorporate in the back. I'm still working on the rocking motion for hand quilting but so far, I'm happy enough with the back stitches. 

I think that upside down block on the left is called Nosegay. These were EPP and I cross stitched over a couple of seams that looked a little dodgy.

The Balloon Flower or Chinese Bellflower has bloomed prettily in the backyard with a purple that is hard to describe. Another great perennial.
The very brillantly coloured Ligularia is in bloom. It took a hit during our July heat waves despite being watered so didn't produce quite the show as other years. Now I can see why all the books say it is happiest in shady areas. It is really more orange than these photos show.

The leaves are like elephant ears.

A look back at a couple of photos of the American Goldfinches getting some nourishment from the cone flower leftovers...one of the reasons I practice ugly gardening.

It was my birthday recently and I was over the moon and slightly teary about my cake from daughter.  Such pretty sunflowers. And tasty too.
As always so grateful to celebrate another birthday and better yet to have a chat with Mom. We talked about her memories of the day I was born at Sir Frederick Banting Memorial Hospital (named after the co-founder of insulin) in Gander, Newfoundland.
 Interesting fact about Fred Banting-he won the Nobel Prize with Dr. John McLeod for developing life saving insulin. Fred felt his fellow Canadian, Charles Best, had actually done more work to advance their discovery than did John McLeod so he shared his portion of the prize, as well as honours, with him. McLeod also then decided to split his prize money with the assistant who had worked tirelessly with Banting and Best, Dr. James Collip. Banting sold the patent for one dollar, claiming the discovery belonged to the world, not to him and of course, it has saved the lives of millions around the globe. Will we see such altruism again! 

I'm on the cusp of a big number in years and I have a special plan for this year. I'll chat about that another time. 

Never regret growing old; it's a privilege denied to many.

Lots to like at Not Afraid of ColorPaying Ready AttentionFloral Friday FotoViewing Nature With Eileen and It's a Small Town Life.



28 comments :

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your quilting is so pretty and so are those flowers. We don't do tomato sauce when it storms cause it will sour. Happy Birthday from all of us, that's a beautiful cake.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your heart quilt is lovely. Great pics of the yellow birds...um I garden like that too. Happy Birthday, your cake is lovely. The Farmer's Wife quilt, love the colors in your blocks. Great likes as usual.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a late happy birthday to you. I absolutely love all your flowers always so bright and colorful - and I see the finches are still by you - I always forget when i start to see a lot of them here - late fall going into winter for sure - I need to remember to get more bird seed for the plastic bucket that I keep tightly sealed. I love baked pasta and yes the tomato sauce needs a little bit of sugar. Have a great day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

First of all, Happy Birthday! Your birthday cake is so perfect for you - what a sweet daughter you have! Homemade spaghetti sauce sounds yummy. I love seeing your progress on your hearts, and your flowers are just beautiful!

LA Paylor said...

happy birthday... I'm so glad you were born and I got to "meet" you!
your photos are always so good. I wish you could identify my live in bird boarder... she doesn't look like swallows everyone says she is. the hearts are dreamy... soft the way hearts should be.
LeeAnna

PaintedThread said...

I love balloon flowers. They're beautiful. Your cake is great - especially those sunflowers. Happy birthday!

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! Thanks for the video about pre-cuts. So very much info in that short clip. Thanks, too, for the idea of baked spaghetti. Yum! I love spaghetti and having it baked sounds delicious. Happy belated birthday! That was so nice of DD to make you a yummy looking cake. Your Dreamy Hearts project is coming along and is gorgeous. I love all the different fabrics you have chosen! ~smile~ Roseanne

Nancy J said...

A privilege is so true, and I do not take a single day for granted. As our GP said to Hugh some years ago,
Every day you wake up and put your feet on the floor is a GOOD day". Your balloon flower and the gold Ligularia, great colours together for a quilt maybe.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday!!! How wonderful to be baked a special birthday cake.
Love your dreamy hearts, and the colour of those blue/purple flowers is stunning.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a wonderful story about those who were instrumental in the discovery of insulin and their gift to the world. Love me some baked spaghetti! That balloon flower is just stunning.

MissPat said...

Your photo makes me realize that my balloon flower has disappeared. And I think the gifted ligularia I planted succumbed to a too sunny/dry location. A belated Happy Birthday. Your cake is making my mouth water. There is nothing like home baked cake. We had over 2 inches of rain this afternoon, but thankfully no damaging winds or hail which did occur in other towns around us. If you know the price of current insulin prescriptions, you'll know that altruism in the pharmaceutical area is no longer the rule.
We have cooler temps for the weekend, so I'm guessing you will as well.
Pat

Louise said...

Happy birthday! I don't comment much on your blog, but I always enjoy reading about your days full of gardening, stitching, and family. May the coming year be your very best one yet :)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love the hearts, flowers, and the birdies.

andy's colours said...

I really admire your patience hand-stitching those hearts. They look great. And I love all the abundant blossoms in your garden throughout the seasons, especially the many visitors enjoying the garden. You must have a pretty good camera to get those close-ups. I also believe in leaving the flowers to seed and spread or be of more use for the birds and insects. It also helps to protect them in winter. I don't clean up until spring when the worst frosts are over. And a belated Happy Birthday! Yes, we must appreciate the luxury of growing older and wiser, surrounded by things that make us happy.
Greetings from northern Germany where summer is parting.
Andrea

Libby in TN said...

Happy belated birthday! Such pretty garden photos. We had ligularia at the last house. I didn't know what it was and a blog reader told me when I posted a picture.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely post. It's been a few days when quilting is the best choice!
We had spaghetti, too! COmfort food in this cold.
What irks me about insulin, is the people cannot afford it in the US, despite the patent being sold for $1. Americans are being charged a terrible amount for it.
Anyway, happy birthday! A lovely cake!

Lynn said...

I like your hearts, the goldfinches are amazing and great to hear the story about insulin. Thanks

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Baked spaghetti - will have to pass that along to Resident Chef to try out. And...most importantly - happy, albeit now a little belated, Birth Day wishes! That cake looks so pretty. And the goldfinch photos - beautiful!

Magpie Sue said...

I love the term 'ugly gardening'! Now I need to go check out those videos... :-)

Michele McLaughlin said...

I really enjoyed this post although it has taken me a few days to respond! I love the concept of "ugly gardening" HAHAHA we do that too, I cannot imagine how the goldfinch balance on my rudbeckia and coneflowers! It's always highlight to just sit and watch them! Love your Dreamy hearts project and always love your garden photos! Have a great day!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day. I love the applique heart quilt. I love the birds and the flowers. That purple is so vibrant on the Balloon Flower. Gorgeous!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Well Happy Birthday! I will hit the big 76 this Halloween! I like your hearts. I have made 2 quilts with applique hearts! They are fun to do! Your sauce looks so good. I love to let mine cook slow and long also. Your cake looks like it was yummy!

Great story about Mr Banting and insulin and Nobel Peace price - not sure if we will ever have anyone like that again in the world. Our President does not keep his salary - he gives it away each quarter to a charity within the Government. That is a great thing!

eileeninmd said...

Hello and Happy belated birthday Jocelyn! Your cake looks delicious, I love the sunflowers. Your heart quilt is looking beautiful. I love the sweet Goldfinches, they do look eating the flower seeds. I do love your flowers, they are all gorgeous. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend! PS, thanks so much for leaving me a comment.

Martha said...

Your sauce looks so good and your quilting is gorgeous. I love all the beautiful flowers and birds too. Have a great weekend :)

Bernie Kringel said...

Happy belated birthday! Love some of the stories in this post. But mostly I appreciate this quote:

Never regret growing old; it's a privilege denied to many.

I turn 60 this fall and it feels so strange. I don't regret it but it is a hard one to wrap my head around. :-)

Angie said...

Jocelyn - belated happy birthday! Yes, to grow old is a privilege. Not a day should be wasted. I love your flowers. My coreopsis is full of seeds right now - every time I open the mud room door a flock of pine siskins take off! They are spreading my seeds for me! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

The quilts, flowers, and birds are all impressive. Happy birthday!

Arun Goyal said...

Beautiful balloon flowers.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to Gardening here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/08/garden-affair-love-for-caladiums.html