Thursday 22 July 2021

Free Patterns, Christmas Stitching in July, Playful Pups and Empty Nests

Summer is in full bloom here in Ontario. The fireflies are out nightly and we've had strange moons, weather, and thankfully, this week a break from the humidity that further drags me down. We also had one noteworthy storm that was kind of frightening. Suddenly it turned dark as night, the wind came up and then we had torrential downpours of rain with thunder crashing all the while. It was how suddenly it turned dark like night that I couldn't get over. However, after 20 minutes or so it all cleared off, leaving in its wake many of my taller plants and bushes beaten down. And worse, severe damage to farm crops in the area.

Strange moon rising...

Down to earth all the day lilies are in bloom. Many shades are represented here and they provide beautiful colour amidst all the green.  


And the bees and insects are busily foraging which I always like to see in the garden.


The Eastern Phoebes on the back of the house have all fledged. I got to see one who left the nest and flew to the metal roof where it proceeded to gently slide down. The parent alerted me with its frantic calls but when the little guy ran out of roof, it discovered its wings and flew to a tree a couple of feet away. The parent immediately followed it. I watched and got to see them both fly off into the big wood together. I miss them very much, as even in the tv room in the evenings, I could watch the parents alighting on the trees that frame that window. However, I hear their calls on our walks so they are about still. 

There is a great Halloween stitch along starting up August 2 from the Fat Quarter Shop. It's called Bats and Boos and will offer free quilt patterns and also free cross stitch patterns to match. Here is the link.

My own hand stitching this week is a little Christmas in July stitching. I love to think of Christmas and am really hoping this one will be like old times. Moda with designer, Susan Ache, offered a free Holiday Stitch-a-Long featuring Baltimore inspired patterns to be set in a quilt with Courthouse step blocks.  I downloaded the patterns.  Here is the link to all the downloads and info about the beautiful quilt.
I also downloaded free patterns for tiny stitcheries, 5 inch blocks, in winter/Christmas themes. These, of course, work up very fast.  Here is a link to 10 sites that offer free Christmas embroidery patterns including vintage.

I was asked about the sites I follow about the Royal Family. I used to have several on my Blogs I Follow list, then when that grew, I moved them to my Reading List. I've put three of them back into the current list on the side so you can click those links to find information and news about the royals. I'm such a nerd; I also like architecture so love the virtual tours and photos of the various homes and palaces.  

Sweet distraction during trying times are the puppies. Here Ned has a good play with his litter mate-brother, Petey. Daughter brings him along when they drop over for a swim much to Neddy's delight.

I hope you, dear reader, is as happy as a pair of pups running amok on a summer's day. 

Happy as always to link up with Not Afraid of ColorBrian's Home BlogLife in the ScrapatchViewing Nature With EileenKathy's QuiltsLetting Go of the Bay Leaf and Paying Ready Attention




35 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I find the royal family interesting to read about even if they aren't ours :) such pretty stitches and flowers - I hate storms that seem to come up out of nowhere and are violent they can be quite scary

loulee said...

You write such beautiful commentaries of the goings on in your garden.
Your stitching looks lovely.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I tried to get some pictures of the orange moon too, they didn't come out very good. Your Day Lilies are beautiful. Glad to hear the little bird found his wings. What a scary thing to happen. Sliding down a roof and not sure what's going to happen. Thanks for sharing your links on the stitchery items. I'm always looking for patterns. I've post my 2 "Guard Dogs" on duty today! Have an awesome day!

Jenny said...

Lovely photos as a,ways about nature, and such cute puppy brothers having fun. Thanks for the links, they are fun to browse through. Have a great day Jocelyn, enjoying your summer weather, I'm all rugged up in winter clothes over here.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That storm sounds really scary, we don't like storms like that. Your stitchings are always so pretty. Those pups are so cute and I'm sure they have fun running and romping!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That sounds like quite a storm! I'm sorry it caused some damage. I always enjoy seeing your flowers and wildlife, too. I love those holiday stitcheries, too! Thanks for the links to them, Jocelyn. Your pups do look happy, but I would never have thought they were littermates! Such a difference in color! Good looking guys, though.

Libby in TN said...

We humans could learn a lot from the parenting of birds!

PaintedThread said...

Great photo of the phoebe! Happy bees! You do such nice embroidery work. Petey is a cutie, too.

piecefulwendy said...

What a great photo of the Phoebe! I'm so terribly tempted to print off those embroidery blocks (I don't do embroidery very well) - they are so pretty! Ned is growing!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - strange, extreme weather seems to be happening everywhere ... this afternoon, a small fire was detected about 5 miles from us - it started from lightning, and we are hoping it will be put out overnight. Thanks for the links to Halloween and Christmas stitching - hard to believe it is almost August!

Linda said...

Your day lilies are so pretty. I want beds of them! So far we have a total of 3 plants but I'm going to buy some bulbs to plant in fall. Thank you for the links to that gorgeous Christmas quilt. I'm in the process of downloading the patterns while I'm commenting on your post! Love the photo of those wonderful happy puppies. :)

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop, we appreciate you hopping in!

Sandee said...

Yikes on that freaky storm. Your flowers are most beautiful.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

QuiltGranma said...

Yes, our moon was strange one evening too, due to all the wildfire smoke in the air.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That storm brewed up a tornado about ten miles from here - luckily it ended up in a farming community so it mostly affected a few barns and one house. Nobody seriously hurt. The weather certainly can be scary these days.
Loved seeing those smiling puppy faces!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I always love your nature pictures. Always beautiful! Some storms can be very scary. Hail and high winds always frighten me. I'm going to look into the Fat Quarter free pattern. Looks interesting!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great shot of the Melissode in the top left of the four above, Jocelyn. I can understand why you miss the phoebes, but they fairly frequently have a second brood, so perhaps there is still hope!

Debbie said...

i missed the orange moon, they seem to come around frequently, i hope to see the next one. your image is beautiful!!

i had many nests this year and all of the babies did well. i had my first baby cardinals and that was so exciting!!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I replied to your question about insect books on my blog.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jocelyn

It is nice to have a break with the hot humid weather. Your moon photo looks beautiful, the sunsets here have been pretty due to the smoke from out west. Your flowers are lovely, the lilies are favorites. The Phoebe is so cute, great photo! It is nice for Ned to have a play date with his sibling. They are adorable pups! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for the comment and visit.

LA Paylor said...

no human can be as happy as two lab pups!!! Look up glee in the dictionary and see their pictures. Those two are getting big!
I loved your bird description... parenting isn't done til it's done, even after they fly the nest they need direction! Your photos are awesome.
I do love fall and Halloween... I have a friend who ordered the kit for this one

Michele McLaughlin said...

Aww Ned and Pete look so happy together! I watched that pink moon last week here too. I was wondering if it was from the wildfire smog that had drifted down here from Canada. How is your region regarding wildfires? I read there were a few in Ontario. I love your embroidery projects! That photo of the bird with the moth is AMAZING! Have a good day Jocelyn! Hugs!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I just love the embroidery projects that you are working on for Christmas in July. Thank you so much for providing the link . Your furry friends are so cute. Have a great day.

Radka said...

Lovely flower pictures! We had some hot and oppressive weather here too, thankfully a couple of thunderstorms have now cleared it and we can live again! And stitch...

R's Rue said...

I love your flowers. They bring so much joy. Thank you for sharing.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rain said...

Your pups photo is gorgeous!!! I love that Moon shot! Oh I have Halloween on my mind too! :)

Yvonne said...

It must be such a pleasure to walk into your garden with those pretty flowers. And even more with the dogs playing around. Than sit a while and make a pretty stitcherie. Perfect summer day!

Jackie said...

Lovely stitching as usual.

It has been so hot here in Saskatchewan that our gardens continually need watering and are not growing too well. Your flowers seem to be doing wonderfully.

God bless.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday!

Scrapatches said...

Thank you so much for linking this post up to my linky party. I have been happily lost in the links and lovely photos for the last many minutes. I love your holiday stitches. Are the courthouse step blocks you are making to set these embroidered blocks? I admire your skill with the needle and thread. I have saved these patterns but am not sure I am up to the task. I shall enjoy yours from afar. Our weather has been odd, too, this summer. The pups looks so happy. May your days be as happy ... :) Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

You always have such great stitchery. Awesome photos of the bee and flowers. Surprisingly we still have lots of fireflies even late in the year, the past few years there haven't been that many. Oh the pups look like they enjoy their time together. My mom says her new little pup misses Bobbin to play with. Imagine that even after a few weeks. Yep we have had some crazy storms and lots of rain with them.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful embroidery!!! I enjoyed your other photos, also!!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love those pictures and those puppies! Somehow I missed this post, but Linda (Texas Gal) posted her "new squirrel" project which you caused! LOL. Now I have the Moda Holiday Stitch a Long downloaded and hoping to put it in the cue.

I am returning to blogging now that I have things under control. Thank you for all the lovely projects you pick up and we can all thing about letting the squirrels in!

Have a wonderful week-end and if hot stay cool, if cool stay warm. We are ending up a streak of horrible weather and waiting for some more rain! Weeds and grass are growing very fast down here in South Texas - we have been blessed with about 20 + inches of rain this year and it was needed!

Hugs

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love how you captured the Phoebe! WOW! And your hand stitching is beautiful! Enjoy your week!

dq said...

I love your hand embroidery in Christmas themes!!