Friday 27 August 2021

Birthday Milestone, August Quilting and Stitching Thoughts


Great Spangled Fritillary Butterfly 

Isn't it interesting how certain projects stir our creative side.  I hope you also experience that feeling of joy, little jabs of joy, when you see a design and know it would be something you would love to work on. 

Linda, The Texan Quilt Gal, felt that zing I'm sure when she saw Jen Kingwell's beautiful Wensleydale quilt featured on the cover of her latest book Quilt Recipes. Linda has made a lovely start on it so be sure to drop over and have a look. 

I have Quilt Lovely which I bought because I was taken with the quilt Jen named Glitter.  It is so like me to be drawn to blocks that have lots of pieces that would work well with hand piecing. And in looking through the book, I was also struck by the quilt she named Halo, so much so I've ordered the templates. I also love curves in quilt blocks and I hope I am better at forming them than when I made the Fans. More about Halo later.

When I saw this pretty design I knew I would share it with you. It reminds me of Dresdens. What is it about Art Gallery with all the free patterns they share! Their Look Books for each fabric line are so gorgeous to look through and dream about making. This one is called the Buenos Aires Quilt Block..

So many opportunities to showcase certain fabrics or colours.  Here is the link to the free PDF Download.

I did get to go through my cross stitching stash to choose another chart to begin as a birthday treat. That took mere minutes because I do not have that much on hand.  I chose Autumn Quakers by Rosewood Manor and I was happy to find the fabric, 28 count Cashel linen, I could use for it. I really like the plums and golds, autumnal colours used in this one.

 However, I do not have the threads but made the decision to indulge myself by ordering a curated Valdani Fibre bundle from a Canadian online shop Gitta's. So a new start is in the offing. Meanwhile, here is the progress on Fraktur Flowers

What I am listening to while stitching besides Floss tube....Lately this book called Three Martini Lunches at the Ritz about a brief relationship between poets, Anne (yet another clever Anne!) Sexton and Sylvia Plath. Both committed suicide later in life which is such a bleak notion to digest. However, what I would have given to have been a fly on the wall and listened to the conversations two such brilliant women would have had!  Their very influential work very much lives on. 

I'll leave you this week with this photo of me taken on my 70th birthday by one of the hydrangea bushes in front. This is the one I cut down to the ground two years ago; it grew back fine last year but has really flourished this summer with all our extreme heat. Technically, it's probably a tree now.

I hope there is some zing in your life, something that is giving you jabs of joy these final days of August, 2021. 

Linking up with Not Afraid of ColorKathy's Quilts and Life in the Scrapatch




  















44 comments :

Jackie said...

Hello, that hydrangea is huge. Mine is just a baby.

I love that quilt block, but fear it is way past my capabilities or patience.

God bless.

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy birthday! You look wonderful, and you are co creative.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Happy, albeit now belated obviously, Birth Day wishes! Lovely photo of you with that beautiful backdrop.
I love that Buenos Aires block but it way out of my league. Just the thought of trying to get all those little points to come out right gives me the heeby-jeebies!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Birthday! That is a beautiful Hydrangea bush you have there. I ordered the Jen Kingwell book you show - it is slow to be delivered though and I had a notice from Amazon that it will be well into October before it is sent.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy, happy birthday to you, Jocelyn! That's such a great photo of you with your amazing hydrangea. I think a new cross-stitch start is a perfect way to celebrate, especially a pretty fall-themed design. I hope you celebrated with one of your daughter's amazing cakes!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Happy Birthday from all of us! That butterfly sure is pretty but the quilts are prettier! WOW, that hydrangea bush sure is something!

Nancy J said...

Happy Birthday, a wonderful photo with that huge shrub. The new threads will be wonderful to use, and that free pattern, we find so many generous quilters who share with us.

Libby in TN said...

Gorgeous hydrangea and a gorgeous lady in front! Happy 70th.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Lovely photo of you.

PaintedThread said...

Happy birthday! I love the Buenos Aires blocks. That hydrangea is impressive. Such a happy plant. :-)

loulee said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes.
Those look like very interesting books and designs.

R's Rue said...

Happy birthday. Many blessings to you my dear friend.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Susie H said...

Happy 70th birthday! What a beautiful picture of you in front of your limelight hydrangea. We share the same beautiful "bush"! Great link to a challenging block. This looks like a fun block to create whether you choose to paper piece OR hand piece it!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Happy Birthday! Awesome photo. Love your cross stitch.

piecefulwendy said...

I am just seeing this post now, so wishing you a very Happy Birthday a little late! What a nice photo of you by your hydrangea! I have Jen Kingwell's Quilt Lovely book too, because I felt the zing from a pillow pattern in it. Haven't made it yet, but it's on my list. The book looks interesting, too. I like Valdani threads, so enjoy the little treat for your stitching!

Out To Pasture said...

Happy Birthday, Jocelyn! You look wonderful beside that gorgeous hydrangea. Now I must get my hands on that book!

sandi s said...

Happy Birthday! I just turned 70 in February. I love your Jen Kingwell block! Are you hand piecing it? I love to have a hand piecing project going all the time. I love cross stitch too. I really like your cross stitch project too. Hugs,

Jocelyn said...

Well I guess we are twins again. Same name and I also celebrated a significate birthday this year. 7 decades seems to have flown by, hasn't it? Happy Birthday Jocelyn

Angie said...

Jocelyn - wow, that's quite a competition between you and the hydrangea! Hard to say who is more beautiful! Belated happy birthday!

Lin said...

What a stunning Hydrangea! Happy Birthday! Enjoy your new cross stich project - it does look like a beautiful pattern. xx

Floor said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog.
Congratulations on your 70th birthday!
What a huge shrub your Hydrangea has become! Can't believe it can get that big. If mine turns out like that, it won't fit in my garden.
Greetings,
Floor

Lynn said...

A beautiful hydrangea, a wonderful happy birthday to you. Thanks for your lovely blog.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy Birthday Jocelyn! You look fabulous! Loving your cross stitching. That Fraktur is really coming along! I liked Jen Kingwell's quilt on the cover but I realized I had a similar paper pieced pattern and I purchased one of her patterns before the book came out. Love her work! Your hydrangea is outstanding!!! Have a wonderful week!

Nana said...

You are so pretty!!!!

Nana

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A Great Spangled Fritillary bringing birthday wishes is about as good as it gets. Happy birthday from me too.

MissPat said...

Happy Birthday. I approve of your buying the thread set to celebrate and that new cross stitch would be a challenge for me, but I'm sure you'll breeze through it easily. I quite envy that hydrangea. Do you know the variety? Someone else said Limelight. I need to replace a 30+ yr old Peegee Hydrangea that is suffering from borers, but I'll need to find another location and hope the deer will leave it alone.
Pat

audrey said...

Oh my! Your hydrangea is HUGE! Good job taking care of it! And a very happy birthday to you!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Happy birthday! Your hydrangea is beautiful! I love to have them in the house.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Thank you for the free pattern. I love it! Love your projects! (As usual!!)

Ray and Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday! You look terrific. Wishing you a great year. ~Jeanne

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Happy Birthday..I'll have 70th next April...I'll have to figure out
what I want to do on that special day. The Buenos Aires Quilt Block is awesome, but way out of my league of quilting. Autumn Quakers cross stitch project looks really great..pretty colors in it. Your Fraktur Flowers is coming along nicely. Your Hydrangea Bush is AWESOME! Have an awesome day!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful hydrangea and beautiful picture of you! Happy, Happy Birthday. Quite a few of my family have August birthdays, including my daughter's on the 24th!

CathieJ said...

Happy Birthday! What a great picture! Your hydrangea is gorgeous. I am currently reading a book that mentions Sylvia Plath often. How odd that you are listening to a book about her at the same time. Fraktur Flowers is very pretty. Your newest choice is pretty also. I look forward to following your progress on it.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy Birthday! Your hydrangea bush is huge and makes a great background for your picture. The cross stitch pattern is neat...lovely fall project, but 28 count??? yikes! I'll be watching each week for your progress.

QuiltGranma said...

Welcome to your 70's! With a huge bush like that you can trim up the smaller lower branches, keep some main stems for trunks, then choose in a year or two to have a tree. We bought an OLD house years ago that had a forsythia tree out front. Later we rented a house that had a snowball bush as a tree out front.

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, I love your blog not only for your thoughts and projects, but also for the references you give us. I signed up for the Art Gallery blog after your mention of it. Happy 70th! You are a youngster from my vantage point, so keep that in mind! And thank you for sharing your thoughts and life with us. Carol in Texas

Ivani said...

Happy birthday to you, Jocelyn! Beautiful photo near the Hydrangeas.
Thanks for the link to the Buenos Aires Block, just in case I've just saved it.

Nancy said...

Just stopping by with belated wishes for a Happy Birthday. I hope it was a wonderful day for you!

Maggie said...

Autumn Quaker is the same one a friend is making, with the same thread from Gitta's! Going into the shop is always such a treat. Love the linen you choose! Have a wonderful week.

gladiquilts said...

Happy belated birthday! I must say you are looking great for 70! As always, I enjoy the wide range of topics you cover in your posts. The Kingwell book looks scrumptious!! I am trying hard not to add more to my large collection, but might have to make an exception with this one! The new cross stitch is lovely- fall colors are my favorites. Have a wonderful week!

Linda said...

What a lovely surprise to find my name on your post - thank you! Yes on the jabs of joy - I have those and they are what keep me looking forward to each day. You are a beautiful woman Jocelyn! Your skin and hair are just glowing. I'm glad you indulged yourself with the Valdani Fibre. That project is going to be really pretty.

Scrapatches said...

Happy Birthday, Beautiful Lady! May you enjoy many happy returns of the day. Thank you for sharing in my linky party ... :) Pat

Yvonne said...

Happy 70th birthday Jocelyn, you are looking so good!
Love the autumn cross stitch pattern. Looks like a fun project for those colder days to come.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Such pretty pictures! Love the new project. Very pretty picture of you with your flowers! Hugs