Tuesday 9 November 2021

The Sopranos, Autumn Quakers, Hand Quilting, Quiltmania, Photo Fail

 We are rewatching The Sopranos and enjoying it very much. Last night's episode got me thinking.  In that one, Tony is convincing his mother( played by the wonderful Nancy Marchand)  to move into a facility for old folks...he is careful to not call it a home but a retirement village. Several times he brings up her age,70, as if that is reason enough to be living in such surroundings. The reality is that she is showing signs of early dementia and is really not safe on her own anymore. 

It made me think of people I knew who were 70 when I was young and I also viewed this age as really old. But now that I am "here", I don't think it is old at all.  And something I notice I am doing- I keep internally assessing myself.  For instance just with the wood moving on Saturday, I noted I did more than I hauled and stacked last year and still felt fine. That made me feel good. 
I'm sorry I've rambled on there and I'm not exactly sure what my point was...

What are you talking about? Age is just a number, this guy is saying to me. Forget about all that and let's go for a walk.  Sage advice from our smart Neddy. LOL

Anyway, our week is off to a great start with sun and warmer temperatures during the day. Our outings and appointments continue which makes us sound important but are just the routine stuff that was postponed there for a while. 

This  week I intend to use this kit, a gift from daughter. I eat oatmeal three or four times a week and just included oats in a meat loaf I made yesterday. Recipe here... Quaker Oats Classic Meatloaf

 I've stitched away on my Autumn Quakers...this is a pattern by Karen Kluba from Rosewood Manors and I apologize for not providing all the information before.  I'm using the Valdani called for colours and finding them more matte than DMC which has a tiny sheen to it. They are also variegated which means different shades of colour throughout the same motif sometimes.  Interesting difference. I'm enjoying seeing some leaves take shape and the colours are pretty. I would like to get section one of the nine finished this week.

Even while outside, early morning, our leaves are frost bitten and very crunchy now.  No sneaking up on any critters!
Hand quilting is continuing on the Courthouse Steps slabs.  I've sewn groups of 9 blocks together, layered them with the batting and backing and added lots of basting lines through them to make them stable and more manageable  for me in my lap.  I have a large hoop but don't use it for these pieces as they don't need it.  I will continue to work on these, one line down the scrappy bits, and see how far November gets me. 
I got out my Christmas/winter Quiltmania magazines to have a look through. I notice Christmas stitching and SAL's are starting to crop up around the net. Let me know of anything interesting you find; I'll include a couple projects I've come across in the next post.
 Time for me to have a look through these to see if anything jumps out at me. 
I need to get outside with my big camera this week.  I've been taking my small one around on my walks with Neddy but it can't photograph from a distance. Here is an example.  I spied the barred owl in a tree near the house last Friday. Actually a squawking blue jay alerted me. I took a photo and you have to believe me that it is the barred owl up there looking down at me. 
Drat! A missed opportunity. Oh well.
I do hope your week is off to a wonderful start. Keep busy and keep safe. It's not completely over yet though it does seem so here. 
So happy to join linky parties such as this great one at Texas Quilt Gal and My Quilt Infatuation








23 comments :

Linda said...

We need to re-watch The Sopranos. I've forgotten everything except the last show, for some reason. I cackled out loud at "I'm not exactly sure what my point was..."! :D I love crunchy leaves and was just thinking about them the other day, believe it or not! I used to look for just the right pile of leaves when I was walking home from school - 10 miles in the snow ;) Let us know how you like the oats. I love oats and always top mine with a tablespoon of molasses, just like my Granny.
Thanks for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

This age thing????? I have lived in Senior housing for 18 years now--but I am only 73 (first one was disabled or senior) and I see all kinds of folks from 62 to 100--and I have seen some at 62 look and act 100--and I have seen some at 100 look 20 years younger and be active--And I know what you mean--I used to think 55 was old growing up--but now I know it's totally a set of the mind--that is until I look at my arm twisted in a certain way and see lots of wrinkles--then it's like--'whose arm is this???"
Keep stacking that wood and keep patting yourself on the back--and you will stay young forever-
hugs, di

Deb A said...

I noticed hubby was rewatching that last week when I popped into his den for something. I agree - age is just a number but boy do the kids laugh at me when I groan a bit getting up off the floor! I think the more active you are the better off you are as you get older. I am trying to keep active but my job is sedentary. Must get back to those walks.. wish I had crackly leaves to walk in. I love the smell of fall up north. I've been doing oats a few mornings - craisins and brown sugar go into mine... sometimes some walnuts or pecans are added too. Enjoy that cross stitch.

Jenny said...

It's always so nice to see what you are working on, mustcadmit I've never done cross stitch, simple stitcheries are more my thing. Your Neddy is a real treasure, such appealing eyes looking at you, cone on, he's saying, walkies time!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I loved that show even if it was kind nasty at times LOL - and I totally agree about age - sometimes in books written by a younger person they will mention the age of their mother or grandmother after having described the person as old and they turn out to be younger than I am - I find it sad. There is an advertisement on tv that is advertising an retirement village and the people are saying "our children convinced us we needed to come here" and the woman is entirely confident and looks in great shape - the father not so much but I'm thinking I wouldn't let my children tell me I had to move to a retirement village - I can see it if I was feeble and not able to do anything but having just turned 69 and doing all that I (and hubby does) I would say shove it!

Ivani said...

Your cross stitch is beautiful. I almost never use the varigated flosses.
Morning walks are good for our health. Enjoy the nature and forget about that number of ages.
Have a wonderful week and take care.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done, truthfully with the owl. It is evidence!
I stacked some wood, and I am so sore! More to do...
I really enjoy your projects.
The weather was great this first of the week. What a treat.

loulee said...

Age is very much a state of mind but also a state of health. Keep looking after yourself and keep active. That will keep your mind sharp and your body healthy.
I love seeing your wildlife photos. Yes, I can see the owl up there in the tree.

loulee said...

I forgot to say, thank you for sharing the recipe. I was just thinking earlier today that a meatloaf would be nice sometime soon. I like it sliced cold with a salad.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at my winter Quiltmania issues as well recently… I love the quilt with the houses, that was the cover on one of the issues you show on your post…One of these days I am going to make that one! Right now I am trying to wrap up a wedding quilt, and I have several cross stitch projects I want to start after the first of the year…after those are at least started, that house quilt may get moved to the top of my list…time will tell!!
I have been following your blog for quite a while and enjoy it so much, but I haven’t commented before…
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Brian's Home Blog said...

We've never watched The Sopranos, ever, no reason, we've just not. Howdy Neddy, you have the best eyes pal. That owl is so cool.

Jackie said...

I have always thought of age as just being a number and person only being as old as they feel.

Lately with the aches and pains I have been feeling pretty darn old. Hope that changes very soon.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always think that the older I get, the younger everyone else seems! 70 doesn't seem old to me anymore at all - I'm approaching it quickly myself. And yes, trying to stay as active as possible! Your Autumn Quakers stitching is just beautiful - I love the color in it. How lovely to see the owl- photo or not!

piecefulwendy said...

Nancy Marchand was one of my favorite actors. I absolutely loved her in the remake of Sabrina - we still quote lines from that movie. She has a few great ones in there. It was interesting to read your thoughts on aging, and encouraging - so thank you. You are active both physically and mentally, and I think that is so good as we age!

Cathy said...

I completely understand your age references. While attending the Houston quilt show last week, my husband was paying for our tickets and the clerk asked if anyone was 55 or over…I received my very first “seniors” discount. Hahahahaha….jokes on them, I got to buy more goodies 😉 with my “seniors” savings.

gladiquilts said...

In my mind, ages 65 to 79 are “young old” and 80 and over is “old old.” For those of us who are relatively healthy and financially secure, “young old” is a wonderful time during which we have the freedom to spend our time largely the way we want and to truly savor life. I’m so grateful for it!😊

Mary said...

Hi Jocelyn. I really enjoyed reading this blog post and learning more about you and your interests. Neddy is just adorable. Your Autumn Quakes cross-stitch project is really pretty. It makes me want to start cross-stitching again! And I love your Courthouse steps project that you are hand-quilting. The colors are so vibrant!

Rebecca said...

70...Makes you think how old is young?
Depends the older I get (70) the younger 70 is.....

Angie said...

Jocelyn - age is just a number, until it's not! I don't mean to be a downer, but my Mom was great at 90 and 91 and then her health went downhill. I believe we should make the most of every day, because we don't know what our number is! My Mom used to eat a lot of oatmeal - I should eat more of it, especially now that temps are cooler! I am working on cross-stitch Christmas ornaments for family members - I love the small projects - such a sense of satisfaction!

grammajudyb said...

The Autumn Quakers in those Valdani colors is going to be awesome! I have several friends working on that one! I’m still plugging away on my ancient UFO Santa! You have a fantastic area to get critter photos! Owls are good at hiding! Glad you are feeling stronger this year than last! Always a good sign!

audrey said...

I'm so glad you feel good and area doing well at your age. I'm sure it helps so much to have hobbies and keep your mind and body busy, happy and productive, keys to having a long, healthy life!:)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I must admit to never having seen The Sopranos (Godfather either).
Stitching with Valdani threads is wonderful - I wish I had every colour!!

QuiltGranma said...

At 70 I now am less concerned about what others think about me. I have simplified my life with less makeup and clothes. I have donated any tight shoes and all heels. Comfortable is key. I have kept one dress, which I have not worn in some time. No need to get that fancy. Love the Courthouse Steps progress.