Thursday 11 November 2021

Poetry, Christmas Fabric, Wee Dog Visit, Wooden House Wonderings

 

The Poetry Foundation is a wonderful site I visit every week.  I love to read the poetry bits but there are lots of other features to be found there.  Just yesterday I listened to this podcast, A History With Holes, which explored the subject of slavery. We continue to grapple with the residential schools scandals here in Canada. So how in the world do we, trying our best to be human today, wrap our heads around these atrocities.  Heavy thoughts appropriate for this day, November 11, our Remembrance Day here in Canada. 
I love having the wood up on the veranda within easy reach. Grandson worked hard last Saturday.
And he brought his little dog with him.  Ned was immediately smitten! He wanted so badly to play with Layla but she was just too tiny.  I don't think he slept a wink that night she was here. She weighs less than 5 pounds and is very affectionate.  A Maltese/ Miniature Poodle mix. It was fun to see her play with her toys, run for a ball and try to jump up just like a "real dog". 
 Today I have the vanilla and blueberry mix from the kit I showed you last time. I do believe oats are good for you.  Here is a great article from Healthline about the benefits of oats, if you have any doubts.
I showed you the Rifle Co Christmas Holiday Classics HERE and of course, there is lots more gorgeous Christmas fabric around.  I saw this very retro Santa around the last couple of seasons
 and he shows up in this fabric line,  Riley Blake's Christmas at  Buttermilk Acres. But the little sleigh with reindeer is my favourite pattern here.

I had a look through the site and thought this Christmas Alphabet panel very nice too. 
Meanwhile, I'm giving Tumbling Blocks attention this week along with finishing quilting three 9 block panels of the Courthouse Steps. I want them both further along before starting a new big project. 

I still love these scrap happy blocks and I'm happy to say, still enjoy working on them and bringing them closer to a finish.

Hope your week has been good and the weekend is something to look forward to too. 





23 comments :

Nancy J said...

Christmas fabrics, a gorgeous wee dog, and firewood in easy reach, a huge bonus. Down here, we have had some HOT days. and the wood on the back verandah can finally go back to the woodshed. I am fairly sure that the last fire has been lit. Covid positive cases until this morning have been a lot further away, 4 to 6 hours north, but now 6 cases about 1.5 hours west of us, getting too close for me to feel safe. So a haircut today, a visit to another small town tomorrow, just in case we go into a lockdown and all shops will be closed for a week or so.

Sandee said...

Your grandson did a great job and the pups was a hug plus. So cute.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, impressive, that's a lot of wood and a lot of work too. Oh my, little Layla is so adorable, such a sweet face. I do like that Santa fabric. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice patchwork!! such a pile of wood - Mike stored so much of it last year that we have enough for this year too and all dried, stored away. I don't read poetry never got into it but I know some really enjoy it. Pretty Xmas fabric and love that little dog so cute

Jenny said...

Such a cute little face, no wonder Neddy was smitten. I used to have a couple of Maltese in an earlier life, they are pretty little dogs indeed.

Karen said...

My Scottish granny and my Scottish heritage father gave me a great love of oats. I eat oatmeal at least every second morning. Today I baked "everything" oatmeal cookies. Have you ever tried Scottish oatcakes?

Jackie said...

What a cute puppy. So very tiny.

I agree, I am having so much trouble wrapping my head around the horrible things that were done in Canada to the First Nations people.... And since we have relatives that are married to First Nations people knew about the residential schools...However we did not realize how terrible it really was.

God bless.

piecefulwendy said...

Always enjoy your posts, and the things you are pondering and enjoying. That little pup is so cute! I used to make overnight oats, I don't know why I stopped, so I should do that again. Lovely fabric!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Awww! That little puppy is so cute.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

A cup of tea in front of the fire looks so inviting, Jocelyn! And what an adorable puppy! I bet Ned was beside himself with curiosity. Those Riley Blake Christmas prints are so pretty. I'm ready to dig into the Christmas sewing!

PaintedThread said...

Yummy Christmas fabrics. I like your tumbling blocks! I miss having a a fireplace - that is a wonderful roaring fire you have there. What an itty bitty dog!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Layla is a little sweetie (but so is Ned!). I'm so envious of your fireplace and often wish we could find a place to put even a little electric version. Can't burn real wood in an apartment, but I can wish! And those fabrics are definitely drool-worthy!

Floor said...

What a lovely dog! So cute, really a stuffed animal.
Your Christmas fabrics and the Christmas alfabet are very pretty.
Greetings,
Floor

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Awe Layla is a sweetie. Who can blame Ned for being smitten. Love your tumbling blocks and those Christmas fabrics are lovely. I love oats, I keep finding different recipes for overnight oats, even one using pumpkin, but they kind of eat them cold like pudding, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that one. Great likes as usual, and the grandson did an awesome job stacking wood.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Layla is the cutest little dog! Your grandson was such a great help to you! Love the Christmas prints! Your tumbling block quilt is coming along so nicely!

gladiquilts said...

I start my days at 5 AM in the peaceful dark and quiet in my comfy chair sipping my coffee and it’s always especially enjoyable when there’s a blog from you to read as I get my day going. Thank you!

Jenn Jilks said...

I could use a grandson! Although, the wood is nearly done.
The kids are coming today but it is pouring rain...

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE that ABC panel and your happy, scrappy Tumbling Blocks for the RSC, Jocelyn!!

QuiltGranma said...

A caution here. At one time I was a receptionist at a real estate office, and I learned lots by listening. I forget the names of the offices, but home inspectors (?) would have to check out the houses for termites, etc. All were cautioned NOT to have wood stacked ON the porch because that is how termites could get into the houses. Other bugs as well. I had lots of spiders, and other wood boring bugs. We had a wood stove to heat the house for years. So I am particularly knowledgeable of bugs!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Scrapatches said...

What an adorable littler dog! She looks very happy and ready to play or lick your hand. Hope your wood pile keeps you warm and cozy. Thanks for the link to the Poetry Foundation. Your tumbling blocks are looking good., Very pretty fabric. Thank you for sharing ... :) Pat

LA Paylor said...

Milo is especially careful with tiny dogs... betcha Ned would be too. I've seen videos of giant breeds taking care of tiny kittens. When Milo was only three months old he played with a giant Swissy who's head was Milo sized and that dog was so gentle. I worried he'd accidentally step on milo but no.
your tumbling blocks are so good and all of it really so good. sorry to be so late, I'm having so many physical issues...

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

A Fireplace, hot drink, great stack of wood, and I want a puppy like your grandsons. I flew past that lovely fabric! Your tumbling blocks are looking great - another pattern I hope to make some day! Have a great week. We had a great vacation last week. Hugs