Thursday 2 November 2023

Exploring Two Sites, Applique and Crochet, Family Time Too

Lately one lone younger deer is travelling with the turkeys when they show up at the bird feeders. Curious about why that would be.

This week Robbie turned 10 which had the old folks all shaking their heads wondering how did that happen so fast! As is tradition, we greet him with fanfare when he gets off the school bus. We wonder when he will want that to stop. 

It was a wings and pizza party with a beautiful made by Beth marzipan laden cake with a hidden layer of marshmallow frosting. I indulged myself and ate heartily... felt stuffed and it's been a while since I did that. The food was really tasty or maybe it seemed like that because I didn't have to cook it. 

I timed myself last night and I can crochet one row in 20 minutes. It's going to be a huge blanket!      

And below I've finished the blanket stitch around each of the leaves and have this little autumn table topper layered ready for hand quilting. 

I also want to set a plan for quilting my November OMG this weekend. The days have a way of slipping away from me so I have to make my time count. 

A couple of sites worth exploring...

It looks like this site closed up shop back in 2016 but their bank of free embroidery patterns under 14 categories are still available for personal use... Needlecrafter. I downloaded the Jolly Santa pattern.

The Uk Sewing Studio has collated a bank- 10 pages worth of free quilt projects. I downloaded Santa's Christmas Wall Hanging pattern and noted a few others. 

 LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is whether we prefer a Corn Maze or a Hayride??? I would choose the hayride but not one of those super scary ones. I would choose that mainly because my sense of direction is ridiculously awful. I wrote a post once about being lost for an hour and half on our property back at the farm. I was at the point of genuine panic when I came to an opening in the thick brush big enough to see where I was. So a corn maze...no way! In fact I can feel my adrenalin rise just thinking about it. What about you?

Hope your November is off to a great start! 

Also great to share this post with linky parties at  Kathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsSongbird DesignsSew Can DoLife in Pieces and Quilting Patchwork Applique.



18 comments :

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, I hope Robbie never wants the fanfare to stop. How fabulous the celebration of his birth. HB to Robbie! What a pretty blanket you've started. It has to feel nice and warm - the perfect time to start and work on one of these. You also have the perfect timing to finish your leaves table topper. Happy Thursday to you. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Jackie said...

I love finding new stitching sites online, thanks for sharing. Free is the best.

My month has started off pretty good considering... The mouth is healing and I was able to move the crown work by a week.

God bless.

Libby in TN said...

Great job on the blanket stitch! I can't seem to keep it even. I'd prefer the hayride as well, just because I have fond memories of them in my youth.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

A very happy birthday to Robbie. How sweet and fun to greet him after school with fanfare for his special day. Your crochet is looking fabulous as does your gorgeous applique. Enjoy your evening and have a lovely weekend.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't care for the corn maze either my sense of direction is not well. Happy birthday to the grandson yes soon enough greeting at the bus will end - your crochet is looking great - I started one last year and never got back to it after I started to try to knit the sweater (the cake looks wonderful)

Jenny said...

Thanks for the links you post, they look very interesting. We are away on holiday at the moment so I'll be able to check them better and download some when we get home.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Birthday Robbie!
Beautiful cake

Thank you for the links. I downloaded the eagle.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Thanks for the links to the free patterns. You always find the best sites! I love your crochet and applique projects. You're making great progress!

PaintedThread said...

I love that birthday tradition. What a fantastic Straw Hat pirate cake! It's going to be a pretty blanket. I love those leaves.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Robbie will remember that tradition for the rest of his life - how fun. Mind you, he will likely become the age when he won't want the fuss. That cake looks amazing!!!!
And, re the hay ride vs. maze question - I'm with you. I've never been in a maze and I never want to be. Just the thought of it is enough to scare me off.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love that birthday tradition! And that pirate cake is wonderful! My granddaughter Klara turned the 29th and yesterday we had aBD scavenger hunt at the mall with some of her friends.

Deb A said...

What a fun birthday tradition! You had a fun filled week. Your leaves turned out really cute!

Angie said...

Hi Jocelyn - love your autumn table topper! I have been away from blogging for a while - it is so nice to reconnect with all my blogging buddies! Enjoy your week ahead!

Vicki in MN said...

Loving your beautiful crochet afghan, such pretty mix of colors. Great time of year to work on it and keep warm at the same time!

JanineMarie said...

I’ve just spent a delightful half hour scrolling through your blog posts, enjoying every bit of needlework, nature photos and snippet of your life and interests. I’ll definitely be back. We seem to like the same books and shows. (By the way, did you watch the whole series of Billions? If so, did you like how it ended?)

Kate said...

What a cool cake for Robbie, looks like he had a fun birthday. Love the colors in your autumn table topper. Happy stitching this week.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I hope Robbie never wants the fanfare to stop, but he's about to get to that age! LOL I think it really all depends on the child. My boys are almost 12 and they will still sit in my lap and give me hugs. I hope that never stops! Looking forward to your finished autumn table topper. Have fun and thanks for sharing on Monday Musings.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It looks like it was a great party, and the cake is amazing! Happy family time. I love your table topper, these leaves are lovely. Have fun crocheting, too! The blanket is going to be cozy and joyful.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up. And sorry for behind so late visiting.