Thursday 9 November 2023

Redwork, Christmas Coins Quilting, Videos

 For my American friends who are thinking about their Great American Thanksgiving...having a very long neck is very useful.

Speaking of which, I enjoy watching Becky at her Acre Homestead YouTube site. She cooks amazing and easy meals and her Thanksgiving videos, in particular, are wonderful. Here she is with her Mom preparing an incredible Thanksgiving feast. 
Though a project kind of on the side, I've stitched another of Mom's Redwork blocks. This is the provincial flower of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Pitcher Plant. It grows in bogs or fens and the most interesting thing about it is that it is a carnivorous plant. Yes, it eats bugs such as ants and mosquitoes. I wish I had a few growing around here.

It is a treat to come across one as they are a little rare. Pretty reds and burgundies.
I also have been quilting the Christmas Coins quilt...
I used a Christmasy green up and down the seams of the cream strips. I don't necessarily want this to be seen, just wanted a good hold of the three layers. Here is the back where I'm struggling a little to keep the stitches even while getting through the layers. I usually improve at this as I go along.
I plan on hand quilting a fancy pattern up and down those strips when I finish securing it all. 

I've had a busy week which included three health appointments, one of which was my own checkup. We also had our chimney sweep, Rick, here and because of the snow, he cleaned ours from the inside. We were relieved he didn't want to tackle a metal roof with ice and snow on it. He is the most jolly fellow, full of stories about his chicken farm and laughs a lot. Our chimney is good now for a couple of years.
Out my kitchen window this morning...the school buses have been taken off the roads because of the ice which they are calling an Ice Day.
It is cosy and warm here by my fire and I think today I'll indulge in a second cup of coffee before I start more chores. Take care everyone.




22 comments :

Nancy J said...

I am enjoying my first coffee while I read about your turkeys and stitcheries. Snow/ice, no wonder the school bus didn't do a run.

Julierose said...

What a lovely Christmas Coins quilt--it won't be long until Christmas now--I cannot believe how fast time is flying by...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Are those turkeys at your house, Jocelyn? What a fun video! I always love seeing wild turkeys. I always struggle to get my stitches through all the layers when hand quilting, too, but they seem to catch enough that it stays together. That's such a pretty quilt with all its scrappy color. Stay warm and dry, but enjoy the view!

Angela said...

Your Christmas quilt is so pretty!

Jenny said...

Is that your original Christmas coins quilt? I ask because I made myself a version after seeing you working on one some time ago. Do hope all those medical appointments went well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty snow! so early in the year though for where I live :) glad it is you and not me. Have fun with the quilting

The Cozy Quilter said...

We saw some pitcher plants when we were in Nfld in June. They were not in bloom though. I brought home a rug hooking kit with a pitcher plant on it. I have some other projects to finish before starting it. Your red work pitcher plant is pretty. These embroideries are a great memory of Nfld. I like your coins quilt too.

MissPat said...

Oh my, you've had snow on the ground. We've just had flurries, the day after Halloween. I have a ton of black walnuts to clean up now that they are all down and the tree isn't even on my property.
Pat

Jackie said...

Our snow disappeared, but today we are getting a bit more. I love how crisp and white everything looks at your place.

Now you have given me another YouTube video producer to check out.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Snow and a fire - what a terrific combination!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love the Christmas coins quilt. I always seem to get a bunch of doctor's appointments all around the same time. I have 3 scheduled for March. Hope your appointments went well!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wonderful photos. Was this your first snow? I'd much rather have snow than ice :( Love that Christmas coin quilt. What a great idea! Your Mom's redwork blocks are wonderful. Love this one in particular. I never heard of the pitcher and had to look it up! Stay warm and enjoy your quilting! Hugs!

Linda said...

The redwork Pitcher Plant is so delicate, and I love your Christmas coins quilt. Would love to sit with you by your fire and gaze at that view with a cup of coffee! Do you put anything in your coffee? I am trying very hard to cut back on my way too generously used Coffeemate and drink it with just a splash of milk.

Susie H said...

I'm enjoying watching you finish up your mother's embroidery project. I signed up for Sentimental Stitches' Red Threads QAL so I'm embroidering also. I need to get back on my blog and show the ones I've already finished. Great job on your Christmas Coins. I think it's going to be a great addition to your home!

Auntie Em said...

Just started following your blog. Your Christmas quilt is very pretty, and the hand quilting makes it all the more special.

Yvonne said...

You have snow already! so pretty!
So mucht better than all the rain we are having. It was the wettest october ever here in the Netherlands. Not a record you want.....
Your redwork looks great and it looks like you are enjoying the hand quilting. Me too, it is the perfect weather for it!
Enjoy your weekend!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Pretty red work. The ice is scary. I'm glad they closed school.

Angie in SoCal said...

Snow! Brrrr. I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold weather. Such a good time to have a quilt on your lap hand quilting it. Pretty block. Blessings!

LA Paylor said...

good! chimney...check!
do you use a backstitch to make lines on embroidered flowers? it looks good! perle cotton or floss? I would like something like this... I'm knitting with a cranberry colored yarn, love that color
LeeAnna

Michelle said...

I like your quilt and snow? I love snow. We haven't had any snow for the past few years, sadly. Thank you for linking up.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

It's always fun to have a Christmas quilt and love the stitching!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You always talk about such interesting things - almost like sitting and having a cup of tea with you.