Tuesday 21 November 2023

Most Popular Thanksgiving Recipe, Christmas Coins, Free Pattern

Playing nicely together at the feeder...

 Somebody much younger than I am said recently she felt like each week is now just a couple of days. Time moving faster- I wonder, can it really. I know for sure there's no such thing as time heavy on our hands like the old folks would complain about back in the day. Is it because of all the gadgets we have, those to play with and those that make work easier, I wonder.  
 That last bit came to me this week as I mopped the floors using my Nellie which basically does the scrubbing for me and best of all, no buckets! She has to be charged just like all the other computerly things around here and does a wonderful job on the wooden floors. Tony says to me you love that thing don't you. I sure do. (not affiliated)
Andy,owner of A Bright Corner, has many quilt patterns on her site. One popped up in my feed and I thought it looked so fresh in winter/Christmas fabrics. Whites really help colours shine.  Here is the link to the Pinwheels and Patchwork Free Pattern- Thank you Andy!
I am at the sashing stage with my Christmas Coins. Using more of the cream to match the borders. Note my cosy socks/slippers that have suede bottoms so I can't slip. They were $10 at Giant Tiger and I love them. Have successfully made a journey through the washing machine already...came out perfectly.
Adele Wiseman said  "Pieces of material when they lay around they bother me, because I want them to look like something". That saying about sums up what is happening with my version of the Bramble Blooms QAL. I am still playing with the center blooms. This part is fun but decision time is here. This week, yes.

❗Before I forget again, Gwyned has finished her thread art piece of the little red squirrel from one of my photos. It is interesting to read about her decision making process and the final result is just so  absolutely wonderful! You can check out her post here to see it.

💕Thank you all for the wonderful, thoughtful comments about the issue I mentioned in the last post. I heard from many of you that share the problem or know someone who does. It was comforting to read what your remedies are for it. I have yet to try it all I realize.

I am getting lots of feed these days about the great American Thanksgiving. I was interested in knowing the answer to what is the most popular recipe that gets downloaded from the web.  It is a Green Bean Casserole that uses canned green beans, Campbell's condensed cream of mushroom soup and canned onions. Nostalgia is the reason for its popularity they say. So my American friends, will it be on your table?

And at my table...I'm off to check out how to use a pack of chicken thighs I thawed overnight. I want to make homemade oven fries which I haven't made for a while and since the oven will be on, I can roast the thighs. Something for a sauce????

Have a great week!

Happily sharing with Alycia QuiltsWendy's Quilts and MoreFrom Bolt to BeautyIt's a Small Town Life and Quilting and Learning

17 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those slippers look cozy and my favourite colour too. Wonder if our GT has them in stock (and the bigger question, in my size).
Had a peek at Gwyned's version of your squirrel - well done!
I have heard so much about that green bean casserole but don't think I've ever tried it. Might have to make one just to see what all the hype is about. Then again, most likely won't because I don't like green beans.

Libby in TN said...

My son requested creamed peas; I'll use cream of celery soup and finish it like a green bean casserole with French's onions.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

first before I forget I know you like Lucy's patterns at Attic24 did you see there will be a new crochet along starting next month I think, the yarn package is available to order - I need to decide if I will do it or continue using all the scrap yarn I have accumulated and maybe make it with that yarn.
I don't use canned veggies I really prefer fresh or frozen I don't make the green bean casserole as Mike just wouldn't care for it so I don't bother but if I am somewhere other than home I eat it. As far as chicken thighs go I like to put them in barbecue sauce and in the oven.

abelian said...

I have never liked that soup/canned green bean casserole! My son’s father-in-law is an excellent cook, and makes a lovely dish: fresh whole green beans quickly sauteed, with thin-sliced almonds added. That’s the dish I’m nostalgic for, since I now live far from them. Dot in NC

Quilting Babcia said...

Personally neither hubby nor I can stand the "traditional" green bean casserole no doubt conjured up back in the 40s or 50s when canned vegetables and soups were such popular "time-savers." If we were to have green beans they would be fresh or from our freezer. We'll be having roasted butternut squash. A favorite recipe in our family is chocolate pecan pie with whipped cream topping. Totally decadent but it's a once a year treat.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have been going back and forth about the green bean casserole vs fresh green beans, and decided to stick with just steaming some fresh green beans. I do get nostalgic about that casserole, though! The Pinwheels and Patchwork quilt is lovely! I've become a fan of Christmas prints with black backgrounds recently. Loved seeing your neat mop, slippers, and the Christmas coins quilt in progress. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I grew up with green bean casserole at Christmas. I make it with frozen French cut green beans. I made it the first year I had Christmas dinner with my husband’s family before we were married and now we have it every year. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Susie H said...

I am not a green bean casserole fan. Just let me taste how delicious green beans are. Love slippers and can appreciate the non-slip bottoms. Those coins are lovely. What a tribute Gwyned has paid you by using your photo for her inspiration. You are both so talented & creative!

Jackie said...

Those slippers look nice and warm.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Gwyned's squirrel looks great. Your trio at the feeder is pretty cute, too.

Nancy said...

I have seen the Nellie's brand at a nearby store but have not seen the Wow Mop. I'll have to see if I can find one.
I hope your Bramble Blooms is coming along okay. I'm sure it will be wonderful.
My daughters like Green Bean Casserole and my mom used to make it, but we only have it if one of my daughters makes it. Not a favorite for me.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Loving the Christmas coin quilt! Your slipper socks look adorable! Nope we don't do the green bean casserole. Our family tradition is a sweet and sour string bean recipe which also has bacon in it. Wishing you sweet dreams and a wonderful weekend!

Out To Pasture said...

Time certainly seems to be speeding up as I age as well. Must be having fun! Those sock/slippers look comfy. Will check them out on my next GT prowl. Unusual to see the two squirrel species so peaceful. My red squirrel does not share.

Pamela Dempsey said...

I always make the green bean casserole but I use frozen beans instead of the canned. I don’t like canned vegetables, usually salty or weird tasting to me. I also add a good tablespoonful of Worcestershire sauce, helps with the flavor. The only thing I don’t enjoy is trying to get all the dishes done at closely the same time. A juggling act 😋

Karrin Hurd said...

I make green bean casserole with fresh green beans, a homemade buttermilk sauce and crispy onions on top.

Linda said...

Yay on the mop! I had a steam mop years ago and loved it. Your Christmas Coins is looking so cozy. It's fun to read all the reactions to green bean casserole. It is probably my favorite side, and yes I proudly use canned French-style beans and canned mushroom soup. This is my favorite meal of the year, so give me all the badness and carbs - lol! Hope you get some good sleep and enjoy the rest of your week dear Jocelyn.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, your Christmas Coins quilt is coming along nicely. Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.