Tuesday 14 November 2023

Quilt Projects Update, Sites to Explore, A Show Too

 

The autumn pinkish purple Smoke tree was ablaze in the early morning sun which did not stay long.
A little touch of fungus is making interesting patterns on a few of its leaves. 

We are watching a version of D. H. Lawrence's work including Women in Love on Brit Box. It is two very lengthy episodes with a wonderful cast. A little note...there is nudity. 

I'm finished the 10 straight quilt lines on Christmas Coins. I'm happy to be hand quilting more interesting lines now... this design. It's just hand drawn curlicues that I think mimic a vine leafed applique. I settled on the very light green thread as it shows but not too much. All eyes are on the coins still. The marking pencils are working out well, though I find the leads a little soft so you can't press too hard on them. 
 I've continued the Bramble Blooms QAL project. Typical for me, it's taking ages to rest on a particular flower pattern for the center medallion block. I sketched many. I knew I wanted several parts to the bloom itself, just to add interest. But how many parts? Did I want a daisy with 6 petals and a many layered center or a funky tulip look or perhaps the Zinnias I liked so much in the summer? Or perhaps something like this...a hybrid of all of them.
 
Just how primitive did I want the overall look...Jan Patek or Norma Whaley maybe or do my best to copy our own Audrey's version. Those were the kinds of questions I was thinking of. And then the fabrics...maybe Christmasy or autumn colours or a little bit funky. ??? Part of my problem is that I like it all...I love the repro fabrics and quilts, the '30's fabrics, French General, the Valour colours- red, white and blue, anything primitive looking, some of the modern too, etc., etc. and on it goes. Yes an embarrassment of riches when it comes to my likes, that's for sure. Hopefully, settled on this week!

While playing around in the sewing room,  I realized I haven't shown you a kind of leaders and enders project I've worked on occasionally and was reminded myself of when sorting the scrap bins. I've sewn 6 blocks now of my version of Confetti Blocks and have many tiny sections sewn together. The completed blocks are deceptive in how much sewing time is involved in each simple block...many many seams.  I'll keep plugging away at these sections and hopefully have a few more blocks to show soon. Such a super way to use up scraps though.

Two wonderful links to enjoy exploring...

I love how Robin Pickens offers colour study posts where she presents the same block pattern in a number of colours. HERE is the link to her blog. And she links to free patterns as well. Love Robin's fabric lines too like the beautiful Forest Frolic

 
I've explored the crochet and knitting banks of free patterns at the Craft Passion site. That link will take you to their post featuring 36 free quilt patterns. And you can find Free Apron Patterns there as well and other crafts too. They've chosen well what to include so I think you will find something that twigs your interest. I found many. 

It's happy hours, isn't it, when we get to spend time like this exploring, connecting and working on what gives us pleasure. It is no small thing to have engaging hobbies.

Next post....what the doctor said about my sleep issue and three meals from one ham. 

Sharing this post with Quilt FabricationConfessions of a Fabric AddictQuilting Patchwork Applique and Alycia Quilts


13 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry you are having sleep issues - I always have sleep issues for years now. I'm curious as to what your doctor says - mine says unknown sleep disorder! I think your hand quilting looks wonderful. I am not making Audrey's quilt as I have so many others I am working on right now but I am watching what everyone is doing I think yours looks really good right now.

Jackie said...

Oh my, such wonderous quilts and ideas.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a beautiful tree! You captured its glow beautifully. Love seeing what you're working on, too. The curling vine stitching on the coins quilt is really pretty! I like the idea of using the light green thread. The Bramble Blooms start looks like fun, too!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love the fall foliage! I also love the repros, the 30's, and love the primitive quilts. When I started off quilting in the late 90's, Red Wagon, the ladies Jan Patek, Linda Brannock and Geri Kimmel were going strong and I still have those books.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Lots to explore this time Jocelyn, thank you! I'm interested to hear what the doctor said about your sleep so will look forward to that.

Carol in Texas said...

Thanks for the connection to Robin Pickens. I knew nothing about her. I used to love following Norma Whaley’s blog, but as I recall, she brought it to an end. Is she still in business? I so enjoyed following what she was working on.

Angela said...

Such a great way to use up scraps! I love scrap quilts!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your scrap project. There's something so satisfying about using up those small scraps. Your quilting looks so pretty. Audrey's quilt seems to be very popular. I wish I could work on it but I have too much going on.

Nann said...

I really like the soft autumn reds, too. Sorry about your sleep problems and hope there's an easy remedy. The Confetti design is great for scrappy now-and-then piecing. I've made one of Robin Pickens' patterns.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your granny striped afghan is looking gorgeous . Yummy fibers and I just adore the sweet snowman applique. Enjoy our weekend, Jocelyn.

Jenn Jilks said...

You do such amazing work! I laud them.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your hand quilting is perfect, I love these swirls! I love your confetti blocks too, great idea to work on them as L&E project.
Thank you for sharing your work in progress, and links!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What pretty foliage you have!
and amazing quilt projects - i love your confetti one