Tuesday 31 October 2023

Video, November OMG, Trail Hazards

Last week ...Flying leaves and raindrops on our big trail. A leafy carpet underfoot. Pretty much over because we had a snowy forecast and light snow on the ground the last two days. Still a light frost overnight so not that freezing. All the flower pots had been moved inside already. It is cold and crisp on my walks these mornings and darker but so enjoyable in the fresh air. Speaking of which, on my afternoon walk with Tony and Ned on Sunday, I lagged behind admiring this branch lying on the side of the walk looking like a little picture.

Then ran fast (for me!) to catch up, stubbed my toe on a rock and nearly went face first into the ground. Just barely managed to stay upright. My heart pounded and I couldn't believe how stupid I was to try that on a woods trail with roots and rocks everywhere. When will I learn!!

Meanwhile, back safely inside and staying upright...I've spent the last two nights sorting fabric scraps in front of the tv. I've bagged them according to colour but no matter which way I sort them, it's still messy to me. I really don't want to waste any more hours sorting bits of cloth. I may be ready to let some just go.
 But I did find several larger pieces that didn't belong with scraps including one that perfectly suits as backing for my latest improv table mat. Unpressed-sorry.
I think I was meant to find it...my reward for doing so much sorting. This, hopefully, will be finished this week. 
While sorting the scraps I also looked through my deep WIP's drawer and made a decision about which one I would choose for my Stories From the Sewing Room November OMG. Settled on this one below to layer up and get started with the hand quilting. A version of Christmas Chinese Coins. I remember how pleased I was to use up lots of scraps in this one and how the neutral strips contrasted well with the colourful blocks. Linking up with finishing school over at So Scrappy.
Besides the difficulty of staying on my feet, here's another sad and a little scary side effect of being out in the garden and on the trails...ticks. I'm up to number 7 found on me with three that were attached. One you may remember I went to the pharmacists and took the medicine to prevent Lyme Disease...it's just two little pills. The other two on me were there for less than 10 hours so probably okay. I haven't counted in this list the one that suddenly appeared on my lap top one morning after I'd just sat down from my walk. Ned takes regular flea and tick medicine.  Tony has only ever had one tick on him in his life. So yes, I'm the tick magnet champion in this house! But I will be getting a break as they usually disappear with colder temperatures so another plus about having changing seasons here living in the woods. 

Do check back again soon as I have found a few more great links for interesting patterns and free designs as the fall season proceeds here in Canada and Christmas is on the horizon.  

Hope your week is going well, you are upright and having fun with your hobbies. 

Happy to link with Confessions of a Fabric AddictFor the Love of GeesePowered by QuiltingCreations, Quilts, Art, Whatever and Alycia Quilts.


 


 

20 comments :

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank goodness you didn't fall!
Careful with the sprinting. :)
Prayers no more ticks for you
I spray my feet and legs every time I go outdoors. I stand by the door farthest away from kitchen, and spray.

Quilting Babcia said...

I hear you about those ticks! I had to pull one off my leg on Saturday, it hadn't been there more than a couple hours. That was at least the third one last week and there have been more since. The cat and dog are both treated, but the little buggers still hitch a ride on their fur, especially the cat. Yes, some of us seem to be tick magnets! We're getting a snow-rain mix now as I write this. Sigh! No trick or treaters here either, we're too far out in the country.

Out To Pasture said...

I love your wooded trail, Jocelyn. But please be careful in placing your feet. I have so many vines around here that I move with the speed of a sloth. Glad to report that my cat has not had a single tick this year. Her new anti-parasite prescription works beautifully. And I'm not offended that ticks don't find me attractive. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Jenny said...

Oh dear, ticks! They sound horrible, but I'm not sure if we ha e them here in New Zealand, although they are in Australia, I believe. Like you, I think I'm a magnet too. For biting sandflies. I can be sitting outside in a group and usually I'm the only one who gets bitten! Dont know why it's always me, I do wonder if it is my blood group, that's my theory, anyway.
You never know quite what you will find when rummaging through your scraps.

Libby in TN said...

Ticks suck -- pardon the pun.

Jackie said...

In this house I seem to be the tick magnet. I am amazed that they are still out where you are.

Love that OMG quilt that you will be working on this coming month.

God bless.

MissPat said...

I love the Christmas coins quilt. Lovely way to use up Christmas scraps. I'm glad you managed to stay upright on your walk.. I've become very conscious of the potential for falls. It's forced me to slow down, which is difficult for me. On the tick front, I've only every found one tick and removed right away. Ticks are very prevalent around here, so it's surprising that after all my years of gardening I haven't encountered more ot them. I've also lucked out on avoiding poisin ivy.
Pat

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flying leaves were pretty cool. Unfortunately when they fly here they land in my gutters!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such a beautiful scene from your woodsy walk, Jocelyn! But do stay upright! I fell walking with a friend several years ago - stepped right off the curb and broke my wrist. That is no fun at all! Your leaf project looks like it's coming along nicely, and I love the Christmas coin quilt, too. That would be the perfect project to work on in November!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I usually get one tick or so on me each spring and then I remember to treat the yard and spray myself when out in the yard. I didn't know there was a pill you could take for two days to prevent the disease.
So many scraps! wonderful.
I would fall if I tried to run which for me is barely a run more like a fast walk.

The Cozy Quilter said...

We woke up to snow on the ground today. I still have some outside clean up jobs to do so hopefully it melts soon! Boo to those ticks. What a pain! I spent hours and hours sorting my scraps years ago. They are all in plastic shoe boxes by colour. I have a small basket on my sewing table where I put scraps as I make them and when the basket is full, I sort them and put them away. I actually use them each month in my rainbow scrap challenge projects and love that they are easily accessible. Your Christmas coins quilt is a great project for this time of year.

Laura said...

You are not alone...I am the tick magnet in my household. I really hate those things! But I love, love your Christmas Chinese Coin variation! :)

Susie H said...

Dear Joce, be easy on yourself. We all can look back and see how we could have done things differently ... like not running in the woods. Glad you're OK and I'm sorry about all the ticks. UCK!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Ooof! on the ticks! Knock on wood, it's been quite awhile since I had one on me or found one in the house. Good luck on your goal! Would be nice to have done in time for Christmas!

Karen's Korner said...

It is a good feeling to be able to move a long term project towards the finish line. Good luck with it.

Linda said...

Oh Jocelyn one of my biggest fears is falling - I'm so glad you didn't! I can remember when I was little and fell, I would bounce back up, no big deal. Wish we still had that kind of strength. Anyway, love the backing fabric you found as your scrapping reward! That Christmas quilt is so, so pretty - it'll be fun to stitch on it! Glad you have a handle on tick-maintenance!

Anne-Marie said...

Be careful out there. Good luck on your goal and thanks for linking up.

PaintedThread said...

Ugh. Ticks. Ours aren't so bad lately, but one needs to be vigilant. Isn't fabric hard to let go of? I like your leaves!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Very glad you didn't fall!! Better to be safe than sorry.
Re the ticks (rotten little creatures)...last year there was a story in our local press saying that the winter temps these days aren't getting low enough to put the ticks into hibernation and that they were still an issue all winter long. Scary thought, but something to keep in mind?

The Joyful Quilter said...

The neutral strips not only contrast well with the colorful blocks, but they also serve to tone them down a bit, Jocelyn. Wise choice. Happy quilting!