Thursday 26 October 2023

Six Things to Love

Six Thursday Things to Love

Finding beauty in Mother Nature's autumn palette
Getting a Special Request
 Recently I was asked by fabric and thread artist, Gwyned Trefethen, if she could use a photo of my Red Squirrel in her art work. Of course I was flattered and more than happy for her to do that. Check out her post HERE where she is bringing Red Squirrel to life with thread and fabric. Amazing!
I'm in awe of folks who can do these kind of art works. Like Mary Anne at Magpie's Mumblings with her beautiful landscape pictorial pieces. And LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color who amazes me with the range of media she uses to successfully explore her creativity. Then there's Melisa at Pinker n Pumpkin Quilting and Stitching who can draw those lovely little designs that she shares so generously. Thankfully, the internet can connect us all.

Having Stitchy Finishes

My 2 in 1 October OMG got finished. Happily linking up with Stories From the Sewing Room. Both were completely hand sewn except for one line of machine sewing on one side of the bindings. Here are the Plus Quilt and the Easy Hexagon Tablerunner, that last finished at 22 x 48. 

My first time hand quilting clam shapes and it went well for the most part. 
Enjoying Slow Stitching on A New Project

I'll settle on November's OMG soon. I have a WIP drawer...it's very deep. There may even be something for Christmas in there to get finished up. Meanwhile, the blanket stitching is going well on the little table topper. My version of Oak leaves to begin with... the background fabric is a Zen Chic fat quarter.

Thrift Store Shopping
One of my latest Thrift Store finds was this $6 folding basket below. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't hand made but I liked how deep it is so can hold a whole project. Photographed this morning so you could see the Geraniums are still blooming. I'm still pinching them back and it is still sending out impressive blooms.
Cooking Something Nutritious From Scratch
Something not very exciting which I cook a lot...I've another pot of chicken soup in the making on the stove. I boil the carcass for broth and usually cook the vegetables separately and then combine. It's a great way to use up a soft tomato or limp spinach and any other vegetable bits that are in the fridge. I'm fond of cabbage in soup too. 
I could continue with many more things to love like my latest enjoyable library dig, a movie I enjoyed this week, and breaking 700 points lately on Lexulous which makes me think my brain might still be working (because you know I worry about that), :D....
 Next time I'll tackle LeeAnna's prompt...have I seen a ghost/had a paranormal experience?!
Hope there are many, many things in your life to love!

Sharing this post with the linky party at Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkQuilt FabricationThe Inquiring Quilter and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.



17 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I enjoyed your Six Things post, Jocelyn - fun idea! Those red leaves you photographed are beautiful. I clicked on the link to Magpie's Mumblings and found many interesting posts. She does show a beautiful landscape made of jeans - love that! Your finished projects are lovely! I really like the look of your hexie tablerunner - what size are the hexagons you used? And yummy soup, too - that is sounding really good to me right now as we're having a chilly, damp day.

Jenny said...

Yes, I did see your squirrel photo coming to life with thread painting on Gwynedd blog, how exciting. Like you, I'm a great soup maker too, just love home cooked soup for winter lunches.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your red squirrel is always wonderful to see nice that you were asked about it.Your clamshell quilting looks great.

Linda said...

Jocelyn what an honor and a compliment to your photo skills, and her rendition of red squirrel is amazing! That is so fun to see. Your Plus quilt and the table runner are both so beautiful. Nice hand stitching! I would love to eat at your house, I like cabbage in soup also. Hubs says it makes the house stink - lol! I think cabbage tastes sweet and is so tender and delicious when it is cooked. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Jackie said...

Your quilt and table runner are lovely. Love the hand quilting.

I inherited my Moms bag that is much like yours. The only difference is mine is a lighter pink with white sheep all over and very well used. I had to do some mending on it.

Wow, your red squirrel is now famous.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's pretty amazing what she did with your red squirrel. That thrift market basket is pretty coo. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

PaintedThread said...

Yay for finished quilts! I don't have many WIPs, but I have quite the list of projects to be! How neat to see your red squirrel photo being transformed into fabric and thread.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your red squirrel photos was fabulous and Gwyned is doing such a beautiful job. Wooo Hoo on meeting your October goals; your quilts are just fabulous! Great find at the thrift store too. I have had my eye out for a sewing basket like that ; my grandmother used to have one. Thank you so much for the sweetest compliment and shout out too, you made my day! Have a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You take the best photos so I'm not surprised that someone is using it in her art work. Your hand projects are great. I feel that you made quick progress on them. Nice thrift store find!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

First of all, thank you for the shout out! Secondly, what fun to have your squirrel photo being used in a piece of art. And, good find at the thriftie! I think (but don't quote me!) that you can easily take it apart to change out the fabric part for something that suits your decor. I had one a long time ago and used it a lot. Didn't have room to move it here.

Nancy said...

Nature's autumn palette is my favorite, though it hasn't been quite as bright here as some years. But still beautiful.
I think your clam shells look great. Did you mark them before layering the quilt, after, or stitch free-hand? They look very uniform.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy post and love your red squirrel and the work that Gwyned did! Love those little table runners, so adorable! So many wonderful projects and I love the oak leaf piece--cool fabric! Have a wonderful day!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I remember those red squirrel photos! What an honor to be asked to share them. That squirrel looks so lifelike in thread! WOW! I too have been making chicken soup. . .it is the season for soup. Chicken is a favorite here. Your finishes are terrific. I like that clam shell quilting. It looks terrific paired with the hexagons.

Bonnie said...

A great post to make us think of our 6 things to like. It must feel awesome to have an artist want to make your red squirrel. He's coming along pretty well and looks like the photo. And kudos for finishing some hand quilting project(s).

Karrin Hurd said...

Great finishes! Love her stitching of the squirrel, it is exquisite! You always take beautiful pictures of the wildlife, I am surprised you are not asked for permission more often. Have a great week!

grammajudyb said...

I am so impressed that you finished 2 OMG projects . It’s taking me 2 months to finish one! And yours were hand pieced and quilted. The plus quilt is adorable. I love the idea of homemade chicken soup! DH doesn’t care for it , so I don’t bother. But I do make a sort of homemade vegetable soup, though I use purchased broth. I’m a fan of cabbage in soup too! Your thrift store find is adorable! A perfect place for your next knitting project.

Anne-Marie said...

Nice work. And those red leaves are stunning. Thanks for linking up.