Tuesday 24 October 2023

Pattern Links, Autumn Table Mat, Pink Leaves

 I was aiming at the beautiful pinkish autumn leaves of this tree...the capture was unintended. Can you spy it? He was standing oh so still.

Taken on the wonderful Mississippi River Trail that runs through the entire town of neighbouring Carleton Place. I had only my phone with me which is a very inexpensive one that I use only for emergencies; it surprises me by being able to take photos. I guess they can all do that these days.

I've stitched another of Mom's Redwork blocks...This is Cabot Tower atop the National Historic site, Signal Hill, in St.John's. It is  a structure built in 1901 to commemorate how Marconi sent the first wireless transatlantic signal between North America and Europe. 
Sitting as it does strategically on land jutting into the eastern North Atlantic, the site was manned militarily during the Napoleonic Wars, the American Civil War and also by the Americans during World War II. Wikipedia can tell you more of the interesting history surrounding this hill which overlooks Newfoundland and Labrador's capital city, St. John's. This is Steve Wight's 44 second YouTube video showing where the tower sits.
With my second OMG almost finished, I played around with a little Autumn themed table mat this week.  Honestly, when I chose the background material, I thought it to be a deep brick red and when I took it out to the main area, the light revealed it to be a deep orange instead. The lighting in the sewing room is the worst! But I'm going to make a topper for a little antique  piece of furniture in the foyer.

I drew the simple leaf patterns and played with the arrangement. I'm going to use a simple blanket stitch to secure these, nothing fancy. 
It is orange, right?

Exploring these links that you might also enjoy...
 Susies-Scraps.Com  HERE A virtual treasure trove of scrappy quilts patterns, some antique inspired. Intrigued by the one called Sixteen Across, new to me, which creates a little magic with how the dark coloured blocks get arranged. 
1001 Patterns to crochet, knit and craft. Amazing bank of patterns including 36 Striped Blankets to Crochet.
 My next wool project will be knitting a blanket in a gradient colour scheme. I'm enjoying the searching for a pattern. I may be wanting something not possible though...easy enough to not have to keep counting stitches but interesting enough to keep me knitting. Any ideas?
I'm also exploring the Vintage Christmas Embroidery patterns at Martha's Q is for Quilter wonderful site.
A big thank you to those who commented and emailed me stories of palm readings and fortune telling. The accuracy of some details was so remarkable! It all does make you wonder sometimes. 

It's wonderful to stay engaged with hobbies and to have the internet at our fingertips keeping us all sharing and connected. Hope your week will be a good one!



22 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very pretty fall picture I don't see anything standing still though - you will need to point it out!

MissPat said...

I think it's a heron perhaps? Standing right under the tree in the narrowest opening in the water.
Pat

Brian's Home Blog said...

I could see the big bird there standing still. That's a beautiful photo. Happy stitching!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I can't find anything in the picture! You'll have to show me. Thank you for all the great links. What did we ever do without the internet?? Love your Cabot Tower.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful leaf color in your photo, Jocelyn! It is pretty amazing what phone cameras can do these days. So interesting to learn about Signal Hill and the tower there. It looks almost medieval. I would have called that fabric brick red, too, but I suppose that is a close relative of orange! It will be a pretty background with those leaves appliqued to it. Thanks for the link to Susie's Scraps - I like her block ideas!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a fabulous fall photo and it took me a minute but I saw the sweet bird. Your embroidery looks amazing; I just adore redwork. A leaf table quilt will look darling. Enjoy your week. Hugs.

Nancy said...

Beautiful leaves. When I clicked on the photo to enlarge it I saw the bird. (Of course he would be still in a photo. Haha.) Glad you were able to capture him. Your phone takes decent photos in a pinch. Mine, not so much.
Cabot Tower looks like a beautiful building. Isn't drone photography amazing?!
Your mat will be great for autumn.

Anonymous said...

Heron in the brook.

Linda said...

Gorgeous photo Jocelyn! Magazine-worthy. Is that a heron? Thanks for those wonderful links. I would love to do a quilt of the Sixteen Across block in Christmas colors. Hope you are enjoying your week!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The leaves are lovely. The background works, I see the heron. It took a bit of looking though. :)

Jackie said...

Gorgeous photos, and I think you meant the heron in the water. But of course I could be wrong.

God bless.

Angela said...

I would love to travel there someday!

Susie H said...

I had to click on the picture and then enlarge it so I could find the bird. Gorgeous! They move so gracefully too. Thanks for all three links at the end. I just spent nearly an hour running down those rabbit holes. So many interesting ideas!

Radka said...

I love the autumn colours!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great fall photo - I had to embiggen it so I could discover the well-hidden heron.
Thank you for the fun links - especially the wonderful vintage embroidery patterns. They brought back memories of my maternal grandmother who probably embroidered some of those designs back in the day.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Pretty fall picture! Fall is my favorite time of the year. Your table mat will be a great addition to your fall decor!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

The fall photo is soooo pretty! I'm really enjoying seeing the leaves starting to change here now. Probably a couple more weeks and they will begin to fall off the trees more. I love your redwork embroidery. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

K Reeves said...

Jocelyn, your eye for photos is just incredible! Wow! Your autumn leaves on orange will be lovely. Great prints and backgrounds.

CathieJ said...

That heron was well hidden. Pretty photo. Your redwork is very pretty. Those leaves will make a pretty piece.

Deb A said...

Beautiful photo! That is a great idea to change up the 16 patch quilt with the lights and darks. Enjoy your week.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a gorgeous fall photo - and a fun surprise in your photo!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful Fall photo, the scenery looks very peaceful. Great to capture the white bird ;) Yes, I finally saw it, I was first looking inside the tree ;D
Pretty embroidery!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!