Friday 13 October 2023

Quilt Binding,Cross Stitch, Animals in the Garden

 I photographed this fellow from my usual lookout spot... the kitchen window. He was checking out the bird feeder area and on high alert all the while. He looked well fed and had a beautifully coloured coat that shone in the autumn sun.

I noticed all the little critters immediately disappeared. The only birds that hung around were the Blue Jays and they kept squawking at him. Then I saw this...a Chipmunk taking cover inside this fir bush. 

It was cute how he kept poking his head in and out (reminded me of that Whack a Mole game) checking if Mr. Fox was gone or not. He stayed safe!

I was complaining to my friend about not sleeping well and she asked if I was reading at night these days as that always made her sleepy. I confessed I've been using audiobooks recently. So I borrowed this ebook from the library, The Last Gentleman, by Walker Percy. It was a National Book Award finalist back in the sixties. I'm enjoying the writing very much and am reading a few "pages" each night before turning in.  I'm also back on the Chamomile tea for after supper sipping. I never tire of reading your suggestions for improving sleep so do keep them coming. 
It's the time of year when the 2023 Christmas Ornaments issue is published by the Just Cross Stitch folks. I have a couple older versions and I think the designs have gotten more elaborate and interesting over the years.
Here CZ does a flip through of the latest issue. Really beautiful designs being chosen these days.
Speaking of great designs, our good friend, Melisa at Pinker n Punkin Quilting & Stitching, has again generously offered a lovely free design to cross stitch- the Halloween one is part of her wonderful Mason Jar series. Halloween Mason Jar Freebie What amazing talent and generous spirit!

The Aqua table runner is getting it's binding chosen today. And my stitching just now is getting the binding sewn onto the Plus Quilt. Going well and I like this green polka dot fabric; I hadn't noticed just how many greens were in the flowery fabrics but there are a lot.  And the Sulky variegated green thread is matching it well. 

I mentioned tidying in the sewing room during which I seem to have misplaced my little autumn runner I'd started as a QAYG piece. It's around here somewhere. 

Just had a UPS fellow drop off our new pool tarp and knocked on the door to let me know a pick up truck had come down our long driveway and left just before him...it struck him as odd. That was nice of him, I thought. A few minutes later, he's back at the door to tell me there were a bunch of people looking for a lost dog out on our main road so that's probably why a strange truck was here. That was really nice of him. I did a run around of our trail but didn't see any dog. Do hope they have found it. Just hate lost pets. Update...the dog didn't get mentioned on the local neighbourhood Facebook page so I'm thinking it was found. 

Hope you are hanging onto all your things and especially your wits. :D

It's the I like party over at Not Afraid of Color. Also joining Kathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkQuilting Patchwork AppliqueSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.




24 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a great photo of the fox! I have only ever seen one here once years ago but Melanie sees them off and on at their place all the time.
One thing I have read about reading at night to help you sleep is to dim the light on the ereader/kindle as much as you can as the light can be distracting to your eyes I turn mine on a low setting at night and then up to a higher setting in the day if needed.

Jeanna said...

Your animal photos are stunning! That fox is gorgeous. I've attended a cross stitch retreat with CZook and she is amazing in person, just like on her flosstube.

Nancy J said...

Beautiful fox colours. Reading at night, as long as I can remember, I have always read when I go to bed, my light has finger touch settings, but I need the brightest now. Anything is worth a try for better sleep, maybe it is an age problem.Not that we don't get tired, maybe TOO tired.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful photo of the fox, Jocelyn! I do have to read every night before bed to get relaxed and sleepy. Like Karen in her comment above, if I'm reading on my e-reader, I turn the light way down low. Looks like some pretty ornament designs in those magazines! I love Melisa's little designs - they're the perfect size for me. I started the Halloween Mason jar a couple nights ago!

Jenn Jilks said...

Nope.I lost my wits! Yesterday I put the A/C on instead of the heat!

Jenny said...

Such a handsome looking fox. Funny how the chipmunk was peeping out of the tree, keeping an eye on Mr Fox. I sometimes feel I've list my wits, especially in car parks looking formylityle grey car, amongst a sea of other grey cars!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Gorgeous photo of the fox and sweet little chipmunk. I read a paper book every night before turning out the light and it's helps a lot.

Quilting Babcia said...

You certainly have a knack for capturing some great wildlife photos! I like reading in the evening along with doing my handquilting, though sometimes that doesn't make me sleepy. I've gone back to taking a melatonin tablet at night and that often helps as long as there aren't too many issues cluttering my brain. Then nothing much helps and it always seems to happen when we need to rise early the next morning.

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Beautiful fox photo.

I use audible books to lull me to sleep...I set the timer for 15 or 30 minutes and generally fall asleep before the Kindle turns off. It works especially well when it's a book I've listened to/read before. It also helps me get back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a great picture of the fox! He looks quite healthy. I bought that same Christmas Ornament magazine. Such great patterns! I also bought an older version online. They surely come in handy!!

PaintedThread said...

What a great photo of the fox! And the chipmunk. I like your mug.

Laura said...

I always enjoy reading your posts!
Love the fox photo! We have fox here, but they are so elusive!:)

Susie H said...

We used to have foxes running periodically through our backyard. The new neighbor had a couple of loose dogs so haven't seen the foxes in years. I also read on my eReader at night for pleasure and relaxation. It's a great way to end the day!

Kim said...

What a gorgeous fox! I'm glad, however, that the chipmunk did not become dinner. :)
Something that has helped conquer my insomnia lately is an herbal blend from Solaray called Sleep Blend SP-17 that was recommended at my local health food store.

Jackie said...

As so many have already said, a wonderful photo of the fox. I like the little chipmunk poking his head in and out as well.

God bless.

Linda said...

That's a frameworthy photo of Mr Fox. Your Plus quilt - almost finished then? I have trouble sleeping too, I might try the reading bit. I am the same about lost animals. Almost every day someone in our community Facebook page has a lost cat or dog, and honestly I worry about them as much as the owners! That was a very nice UPS man. Many years ago when Mom lived with us in Oklahoma City, my husband and I both worked, so she was alone much of the day. One day she went out for a walk and inadvertently locked the front door, so she was stuck outside with no way of letting us know. Fortunately a kind UPS man went by the house and noticed her "looking lost" as he put it. Somehow he was able to call me at the local church where I worked (thank God she remembered that!) and I was able to whiz home. That's above and beyond, and I wrote a letter to the company and actually got a lovely letter in return.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thank you for such a nice post! The animal photos are amazing, you are such a good photographer. Beautiful thread for your binding, the quilt will be lovely.

Deb A said...

I did a double take on the plus backing fabric. I have over a yard of that and the same in a blue that I have had for well over 20 years (or more!). Wonderful photo of the fox and chipmunk. Very nice of the driver to let you know of the truck, then to come back and let you know the reason for it. No help on the sleep, I tend to fall asleep listening to the tv, then wake up and go to bed! Have a wonderful week.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a beautiful fox, and cute chipmunk, both photos are amazing! Lovely variegated thread for the Plus quilt.
I hope that reading will help you fall asleep.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, that fox is a gorgeous looking critter and such a terrific photo. I hope all is okay up your way. It's been pretty bad down this way.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Gorgous photos! Can't wait to see the aqua table runner completed and the plus quilt looks fantastic! Hoping the pup was found! What a nice UPS man! My only way to fall asleep today is by watching HGTV and for some reason, that always knocks me out...maybe because I'm not interested in house hunting :D
Best wishes and hugs!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Talk about being the right place at the right time to get such a stunning photo of the fox! He looks well-fed and so handsome.
Thank you for the link to the X-stitch magazine. Doubt any copies are available here but I'm going to have a look to see.
You have a UPS driver that's one in a million (we have one too). Considering their drivers are on a time-constrait it's amazing that he came back to give you an update. He's definitely a keeper!

Marsha Cooper said...

Tonight's Life Lesson at the church was how to take great photos. I learned some good things....that I hope work.
Looks like you have it down!

CathieJ said...

I am reading your blog at 5 am after not being able to fall asleep at all last night. I even picked up a book to read. This seems to happen at least once a week for me. I hope the chamomile and the reading do the trick for you. I have a few of those Ornament issues also. I have to get around to making some of them. I love your wildlife photos.