Tuesday 10 October 2023

Canadian Thanksgiving Food, Easy Hexagon Table Runner

Welcome to another post where I share more of the tiny bits that make up my days.

 I was delighted to capture these two juvenile robins taking a bath...perhaps their very  first, in our little pond. First week in October


It was our Canadian Thanksgiving on October 9 and we had the family here for the large meal. All my pots got used at some point in the process. I cooked a turkey, of course, and made mashed potatoes, oven baked sweet potato slices. buttered cabbage, mashed turnip with a little butter and brown sugar, and carrots. Standard Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner fare.
That's a lot of cabbage but it was a good one. And the all important gravy, made the way Mom made hers, was good too.
 I also baked dropped biscuits with cheddar cheese, parsley and chives. They were good but I had omitted any sugar which I think they could have benefitted from. Hopefully, a fact I'll keep in mind next time I make them. The last of them...
Serious Eats has a recipe for Quick and Easy Drop Biscuits similar to the very old recipe I used. 

It was a fun time with some well needed laughs. Ever since I can remember, after a big meal with company, I  enjoy doing the cleanup by myself. I put on music or these days, an audiobook, take my time and get everything in the kitchen cleaned and back to normal. 

On the stitching front...

I am being so good...despite badly wanting to stitch other things, I am beavering away at quilting my Aqua hexagon table runner. Choosing a clam template was easy but then what colour of thread? I auditioned a few and chose the turquoise colour in the end. I figured why not. The piece is already flamboyantly turquoise, teal and aqua. When will I get to use such a bright colour again...not with what I've lined up for autumn stitching, that's for sure.

Gathered has the free clamshell template for a cute project called Panda Pop that I downloaded and am using.

Several of you have asked about the kind of stitch I use for EPP. I enjoy Ladder Stitch, sometimes called Blind Stitch, which, if done correctly, won't show on either side of the material. I try to keep my stitches small and as I've mentioned, I have to take care with my tension as I have a tendency to keep it too tight. Here is a brief video demonstrating how this stitch works. This stitch works especially well for EPP pieces that have material wrapped around templates.
 Below is a close up of my quilting stitches. The challenge with this is to keep those stitches the same size and the same space apart. Here one side is larger than the other. Sigh
I found this pretty fabric below for the backing. It was left over from a pair of pillow cases I took apart about 13 years ago to use in just such as this. I had to sew a white strip onto it to make it fit but it is quite a good quality fabric. 
I've sat around long enough writing this and need to get more fresh air. Drizzling a little but I'm going for a little jog. This week I'm  hoping to visit a farmer's market and a thrift store. Hopefully more about that later.  

I'm so thankful for you who read my blog. And the comments and emails are icing on the cake!!

Linking up with The Inquiring QuilterMy Quilt InfatuationCreations, Quilts, ArtAlycia QuiltsWendy's Quilts and More and Songbird Designs.

20 comments :

Nancy J said...

The Robins and their bath, the first one, after he splashed, almost a look of surprise on his little face? What a treat to see this. Lovely thread for your stitching, my hand stitching is like my writing, not so good at all now, I tend to type anything, and the machine does all those stitches for me.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What fun to catch those robins playing in the water, Jocelyn! I love it when they come to our bird bath, too. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds yummy - all the favorite holiday foods. I think your quilting looks lovely on the hexie runner. Keeping the stitches even is always the challenge, isn't it?!

Juliana said...

I loved the little video of the robins! You were so lucky to catch them having their bath. It really did look like the second robin imitated the first robin and was surprised by the wonder of it all! Good for you sticking to your table runner before you work on something else. It's very pretty.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving - do you do pumpkin pie as well like we do? We also have cranberrys I like the jelly cranberry - some like the whole

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

do you do pumpkin pie too? Happy Thanksgiving

Jenny said...

Those pretty little Robin's were certainly having fun. And thanks for the video shoinghow to do ladder stitch. My goodness, your special dinner looked so nice and tasty, I'm sure you and the family all had z wo derful time together.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your Thanksgiving feast looks delicious! So fun to see the robins having a bath! I do remember trying to keep my stitches even when hand quilting. It's not easy!! I guess it's reason I machine quilt!

Brian's Home Blog said...

The food sure looks delicious and your talent is always amazing. I did want to let you know that our kitty Brian died so I'm taking a few days off.

PaintedThread said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck with the quilting. One of these days I may need to try hand quilting a quilt.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Great to see your family all together and such good eats! Loved the video and am absolutely smitten with your aqua quilt! Have a great week!

Deb A said...

What a feast you had! Those birds look like they are having fun with their bath. Your stitches look beautiful to me! They will hold it together, which is the important part. Love the color you selected for quilting. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week.

time4stitchn said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I love how the weather is warmer and the harvest is in progress while you, Canadians have your Thanksgiving. Love the robins. We have a birdbath in our backyard and in the spring will have a robin hog the water for his own pleasure. Enjoy the pretty hand stitching.

Angela said...

That is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

Linda said...

So interesting to read about your Thanksgiving dinner, it looks delicious. I like to clean up myself too, but no one will let me, even when I talk mean. ;) What was dessert? Always the most important thing to me, besides the bread - haha! That turquoise thread looks perfect!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a fine spread!
You stitches look amazing to me. Mine are quite irregular.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

How fun to watch the birds, Jocelyn! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving - your food looks fantastic! Very similar to what we have when the kids happen to be home for Thanksgiving. If not, they get all their faves at Christmas! Have fun working on your hexagon table runner. Love the aqua colors! Thanks for joining us at Monday Musings.

grammajudyb said...

We have a birdbath outside our bedroom window and regularly wake up to splashy noisy birds. So fun! I missed your Tuesday post on Tuesday night, it's been a busy week. Both Mr Busy and I are doctoring! Looks like your Thanksgiving was a good day. I like your quilting stitches in the lovely color and thanks to for the link to the video!.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

There is nothing like an audiobook to make mundane and/or repetitive tasks fly by. Sounds like you had a fabulous Thanksgiving and have transitioned easily back to handwork.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Good for you for keeping on track with the hexies!! Thats hard sometimes
your meal looks amazing - wow - I bet you all were just stuffed!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Loved the robins having such a joyful time having a bath. Hope they head south soon though before their bath water is frozen.
Lovely feast for Thanksgiving. Funny how big meals like that manage to dirty pretty much every pot in the house.
As for quilting stitches and being uneven - my 'take' on that is seeing uneven stitches means it was hand quilted with love.