Tuesday 17 October 2023

Crochet, QAL's, Wool Shopping, Billions

Autumn Marigolds with a little dew, very early morning. Flirting with frost warnings this week.

Through the camera lens, this one looked like it was made of porcelain. 
 Something I saw I wanted...with heating with wood during our winters, there are cold nooks and crannies about the house. I think I need one of these...I was given a short one last winter which I loved so a full length might be even better. I think I'm going to put it on my Christmas gift list for the girls too. Definitely not chic! At Amazon (not affiliated).
Speaking of cold and blankets, I picked up my crochet blanket project again. It got held up as I ran out of several of the colours and I didn't want to make it any scrappier than it already was. At that time too, the weather turned to spring and I lost that work with wool feeling. 

 I ordered four balls of wool, enough to finish, from the Wool Warehouse UK which offers excellent service and has the largest array of my favourite yarn, the Stylecraft Special DK. There is also a wide selection of fabrics, patterns, notions and haberdashery items to be found there.  (also not affiliated)

 I spent an enjoyable time last night crocheting while we watched this. Excellent characters/acting.
I'm going to check out the current QAL's that are on the go. Joining that Rainbow House QAL last spring did make me stay focused in the sewing room and on task, so perhaps joining another just now would be a good thing. I'll be checking out this list to see if anything jumps out at me ...
Thank you Frederique for this wonderful roundup of present QAL's ....Quilting Patchwork Applique 
Any tweaking your interest?
Of course, finishing the bindings on both the Aqua and the Plus quilt will be my focus this week. Almost there!

Before I leave you today, I would invite you to read THIS POST by Gay at Sentimental Stitches. I had no idea of her family's background and affiliation with quilting through many decades. SO much interesting information about this wonderful past time of ours and the amazing collection she has now inherited.

This week, even with a wet weather forecast,  I have to start clearing out the garden. I usually pull out the dead Hosta leaves and tidy up a bit around the beds. I like to leave some leafy debris for the critters and doing that has never affected the next spring's growth. There are two kinds of Hydrangea here, one is the kind that tolerates being cut back now. As well, I'll be spreading some of my composted soil which is working so well. Very happy with the composting.

 

15 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really liked the show Billions - my husband didn't so I watched it without him. Frost already and then I had to remind myself that is is mid October already. Love the crochet blanket. I have an old chenille type of bathrobe that I got years and years ago - really it must be 15-20 years old or more and I drag it out every fall/winter. I even place it over the foot of the bed by October and pull it up over my legs if they are cold before we have the heat coming on. Too bad it is white but it still looks pretty good I think :) And the best deal is I got it free - it was a Bath & Body deal where if you were purchasing so many products around Xmas one sale you got the robe for free - I have gotten so much use out of it, it is crazy. Now you would probably have to pay $100 for it

Jenny said...

That was such an interesting read from Gay about the family quiting business. To be in possession of all that quilting history and wondering how to deal with it, preserve it, and maybe share it it certainly a big task.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful photos of your marigolds, Jocelyn - I still have some blooming, too! I love the look of that cozy bathrobe. I could use something like that - will have to look at the Amazon link. Enjoy crocheting with that pretty yarn. It is that time of year again, isn't it?

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers are really beautiful!

Jackie said...

Such lovely colours in your crochet blanket. No frost here yet, but I know it is coming, and probably when we least expect it.

I am now going to have to watch that movie.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

We haven't had our first frost yet. I like shorter nightgowns. The long ones make me too hot! I didn't watch Billions. I've been watching documentaries on Netflix lately. Not sure why!

cityquilter grace said...

such pretty marigolds...i used to have some in my yard and they would be so colorful right up to frost...

Linda said...

Love your crocheted blanket. The crochet needle reminds me that a few years ago I gave myself the gift of those comfy needles. Then I lost them somewhere in my room and had to order a second set. Then I lost that one and found the old one. In the process, one of the needles is missing from the old set. Where do these things go? Your marigolds are my favorite kind. I just added that wonderful blanket hoodie to my Wishlist on Amazon - thanks for the tip!

Angela said...

Your flowers look stunning. That looks ever so cosy and warm. Who cares about stylish!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous flowers, love the colours. The dressing gown looks good and the crochet too. Put those too together and you'll be propper cosy this winter. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

Those marigolds look beautiful…almost artificial. I love the colours of your blanket…all my favourite colours.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

I love the African marigolds. They have so many colours in each flower, and my dad used to plany them between his rows of beans to attact the blackfly away from his veggies!
Beautiful colours in your blanket.When I livied in UK I always used StylecraftSDK, bought from wool warehouse, and I have had sent to me here until brexit. Now I get ridiculously high import duties on anything from UK so I have had to stop buying it. I can occasionally order from Germany but their postage charges are very high too, so now I tend to buy Scheepjes yarn from a Spanish supplier.
I had an 'oodie' from Amazon last Christmas and it is very warm and cosy to curl up in on a winter evening. And it does need to be long enough to tuck your toes up in too. I hope you get your's this Christmas. Kate x

Michelle said...

I have been doing much the same around the garden. Possibly having our first frost tonight, so growing season really is over. I need that fuzzy robe. My house is old and full of those cold spots, too. Thanks for linking up.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

The marigolds are gorgeous, Jocelyn. That lounger looks great too! I love warm things in winter, though ours aren't as harsh as yours...my old bones get cold! LOL Your crocheted afghan is going to be lovely - great colors! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings.

audrey said...

Thanks for the linkup to the post by Gay at Sentimental Stitches. I used to follow her years ago, but haven't now for a long time. So interesting to read her quilting story! And you are as busy as usual! Love how many interests you manage to hold on to and keep your life hopping along. It's such a refreshing change from some of the older ladies I know who don't seem to have hobbies these days other than worrying about the news and their general discontentment with their children and lives. I want to stay busy and happy for as many years as possible so that I can be an interesting person to visit with!:)