Thursday 18 November 2021

Yuletide Blanket, Creative Plans, Boys In Trees, Neddy Antics

I really liked the contrast in the two colours above...the somewhat strange shade of yellow leaf that just happened to be sitting atop the vivid green mossy stump. 

Creative Plans.  While 2021 was my year of fitness, I'm hoping 2022 will have a more creative focus. I have loads of ideas including, of course, my stitching and photography. I've also been reading about creativity including how creative minds work, in hopes of getting some tips, LOL. Of course, there is a lot on the internet, but it's also great to be back inside libraries once again. That is a big plus for me as I do find them inspiring and missed those outings very much during the pandemic. 

This is a piece by Devon artist, Vickie Lindo, that I really like. The combination of words and applique are interesting. I tried to track her down to give you a link but sadly, could not find one. If you know of a link, please let me know as artist's work should always be fully acknowledged.


I came across Vickie's work through Rachel Taylor who published an artist's review of her HERE. I've been reading Rachel's blog for a long time now; recently it got a remake and is much more jazzed up. 

Here is something from her page I downloaded- 21 Days of Creative Magic List. On the PDF copy it has the spaces to write in your own thoughts and I will tuck it into my new planner (when I get it).

 I'm listening to this audio book, one I know some of you in the Thursday Likes group has already read. Subject matter that is tough but the book is very well written and the audio version is well read. 
Grandson Robbie was here helping me pick up sticks for my fires. He also took a break to climb some trees, such a typical 8 year old boy thing to do. First I had to laugh and then I had to say ok that's high enough!
Neddy, who is what can only be described as joyful to be around Robbie, tried his darndest to join in...
I really like that I was able to start again and work out the tension for the Yuletide Blanket. I had to go down a size in crochet hook as a reader suggested (thank you!) and when I checked, I had it exactly at Lucy's for a tension checkpoint. That red is called Lipstick and it is very Christmasy. 
Neddy thought he would try his paw at crocheting. Not very successfully, I'm afraid.  This is the colour Tomato which is a reddish burnt orange.    Stylecraft DK yarns at Lovecrafts if you want to check out the line.
Meanwhile, inside the wooden house I am practicing great restraint. How so? you say. I'm working on my two main quilting projects and want them to a certain point before starting anything new and there are soooo many projects tempting me. You all know that feeling! 
Linking with these wonderful parties...Not Afraid of ColorMy Corner of the World and Brian's Home Blog.



23 comments :

Bernie Kringel said...

The Tatooist book is excellent. Of course it is a very dark read but still a great book.
I looked up the quote on the art quilt you shared and it originates with Kahlil Gibran. What a lovely sentiment and such a pretty stitchery.
Have a great day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I raised 4 sons and it was quite a challenge! They loved to climb...and a couple of them still do! The tomato color sure is pretty. It's a good time of year for these projects...keeps you warm. Hugs!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love seeing kids play in trees - until they really do get real high - then the nervous tension plays in while you talk the kid unto getting lower and safer.
Love how your blanket is turning out! my tension probably isn't right - I just rarely check it but I'm not going to worry about it and will just keep going - I hope I have enough yarn and I know I have some of these colors left over from other projects and will get more if needed. You have the square really figured out well - I just couldn't get mine to turn out square

grammajudyb said...

Wonderful post today Jocelyn! The leaf I the stump is splendid! Boys climbing trees! A wondrous thing, but we grandmas get cautious! Such a great photo of him all in blue against the winter trees! Thanks for sharing all your lovely photos’

Nancy J said...

To finish a project before starting a new one, that wouldn't be the way I have ever done anything. And now with interruptions from life in general, too many are waiting. Your crochet block is so lovely with those colours. And somewhere I did read, a very long time ago, having a choice is what makes us the way we are.Stitcheries, crochet, sewing and quilting, not to mention the outdoor chores, I hope you are safe and well up North, as here the positive Covid cases are spreading way too close for me to feel comfortable, 40 minutes drive? I can give that town a miss for some time.The virus seems to take over the news, our lives, and the way we can welcome anyone into our homes, without asking too many questions.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That blanket is going to be so pretty. Oh Neddy, you are sure having fun out there with your pal. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Libby in TN said...

Lots of goodness in today's post! Glad you worked out the issues with the blanket; it's going to be so pretty.

Jenny said...

Poor Neddy, he tried so hard with the crotchet but it just didn't work out for him!
What a great photo of your grandson up that tree, I'd be worried too as the branch he is on doesn't seem very strong.

Sandee said...

You are so talented. Love the little one in the tree. I so remember doing just that when I was a kid.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

abelian said...

Vickie Lindo seems to be currently posting on Facebook and Twitter, about her ceramics. Your link to Rachel Taylor's Prompt List is not a web link. (It starts with "file://", which points to your copy on your computer. Dot

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

How sweet to get help picking up sticks. The boys go around about once a week and pick up the downed sticks so they can have a bonfire and roast marshmallows, sometimes they cook over the fire. Neddy likes having a youngster around, Bobbin does too. Love the colors in your crochet. I have new projects I want to start too. But I am determined to stick with what I am currently working on until I finish. Sigh. Always great likes.

Jackie said...

That book is on my to read list. I hope to be reading it in the new year.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I try to finish projects before I start new ones. It doesn't always work but it makes me nervous to have too much going on at once. Your grandson looks like he's having a fun time in that tree! I love your crocheted piece. Such great colors! I read that book too. It's hard to read but worth it!

Snickelfritz said...

Neddy and Robbie are both so cute. How wonderful to have them both around. I, too, plan to be more creative in 2022 and part of that creating is finishing about ten quilts I have pieced and I plan to give them all away next Christmas. Those two leaf colors? I think they would be wonderful colors in a quilt.

PaintedThread said...

Quite the photo of Neddy - look at those teeth! Sometimes it's so hard to finish stuff before starting new things. I am sooo far behind on projects right now!

piecefulwendy said...

The colors of your yarn are so pretty, and how fun to have your grandson visit. I'll bet Neddy enjoyed that, too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Yuletide blanket beginnings, Jocelyn! Lovely colors. And Neddy and your grandson playing together is pure joy! I also read that book and thought it was a good story. We can learn so much from historical fiction.

audrey said...

Thanks for the link to Vicky Lindo work. Wish she was around online somewhere, her stuff is incredible! Your yarn is looking very comfy in those colors. I always think wistfully that I should learn, but really, I'm up to my eyeballs in quilt projects. Where could I ever find time for another hobby! lol

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Little boys, dogs and trees - a perfect combination!
And I know what you mean about want to get to a certain point before you start another project. Right now I should be working on the landscape I started awhile ago and had to set aside for Christmas things but this morning our daughter-in-love asked if Grandma could maybe make some Asian-themed felt food for our grandies to play with. I had SO much fun a couple of years ago making regular fake food so I already know this is going to be a blast. I wanted to jump right in and start but I am holding myself back so I can finish a few other things first.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Kathy S. said...

LOVE the color of the green, mossy stump!

loulee said...

Hubby and I watched a movie about the tattooist. Such an amazing story. It is good that we remember those times, I fear though the past is slipping away and the same mistakes will be made again.
Your crochet is looking lovely. I do hope you get the tomato yarn untangled.

QuiltGranma said...

I loved climbing one of our evergreen trees, especially when wearing green clothing... I was hiding up there. Of course my parents worried, so Mother had Daddy trim off the lower branches so I could not get up in it till I grew some more.