Saturday 6 November 2021

Family and Movie Times Again and Yuletide Blanket

This post was meant to be my Thankful Thursday one but life got in the way as we often note in Blogland. 

We are catching up on some appointments and outings that were postponed because of the pandemic so have been busy with outings just about every day.  

Littler grandson turned 8 and all the family got together for the first time in several years.

Our gift to him was drum lessons at the local School of Rock. He had his first lesson and enjoyed it. 

Being able to go to a movie with older grandson again is wonderful! Dune, wow, and what a movie it was! The musical score and special effects were amazing.

Also wonderful was getting this parcel that made a very long journey around the world from blogging friend, Jean at All Points of the Compass. Just spying New Zealand on the big fluffy parcel was a thrill.

 She so generously stitched an array of cozy hand warmers, scarves and neck warmers and included enough for the family too. Jean and I have been friends since I started Canadian Needle Nana and we have emailed back and forth throughout the years sharing hellos and words of encouragement when needed.  Funnily the package arrived just as our temperatures dropped below zero during the day. 

Oh and she included some cuts of batiks...one featuring these birds that I will keep and treasure. 

I'm sorting out the Yuletide Blanket pattern. Here's where I am now. But I'm questioning my tension and thinking I will start over again with a slightly smaller crochet hook. I hate these "technical" decisions and losing the time I waste on them. 

However I am loving the colours and do find them Christmasy. 

I got to hold this teeny tiny nest in the palm of my hand and wonder as always about the fragility yet strength of birds. Found yesterday at the base of that very large tree. 

I have older grandson on his way to help us move and stack more firewood around the house so a very busy Saturday for us.  He is also bringing their new very tiny little dog which will be interesting for Ned.  More about that later!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. 

Happy to link with Kathy's Quilts Love Laugh Quilt  and My Sunday Snapshot.








28 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your yuletide is looking so good - mine kept being more of a circle than a square which is why I decided to go row by row instead. We need to go see a movie!! thanks for mentioning that I need to check and see what is playing.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - some good stuff. Dune sounds like a great movie. Yay for seeing it. Pretty, pretty batik!

Emille (Jesh) said...

Am partial to batik -beautiful, and can't wait for your finished blanket! Emille (former: Jesh from All Seasons)

Deneka said...

I too are doing the Lucy yuletide blanket.. I am on my 4th start and I think i am good to go now. I had to go two sizes smaller for the hook and learned to watch how many stitches to a side. I am now on the claret round. I love the colors I am a long time follower of your blog. live in Wisconsin petty much same temperature zone.

Nancy J said...

I am so happy the parcel arrived safely, on the Track and Trace with NZ post it was taking a LONG time to cross the ocean, then was at Vancouver Sorting Centre for days, and was still in " Airline Transit" when it arrived in your mailbox. I have another friend who I have promised a parcel to, her project has the fabric, and the pattern, and probably wont get finished for a while yet. Meeting up with family is extra special these days, even down here in NZ, we haven't seen our daughters for some months, and with doubtful levels of travel restrictions hovering, not sure when we will. Enjoy the warm goodies, I was SO happy to sew and post them.XX

Brian's Home Blog said...

Happy Birthday to the future rocker! Dune? Is that the old Dune movie now in IMax? Your Yuletide Blanket is sure going to be pretty.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Family time is always so precious and special.

piecefulwendy said...

The photo of your grandson is so cool - it looks like a painting! I got a little teary-eyed over your NZ package and the story of your friendship. How wonderful that you two have been friends for so many years! You went to Dune with your grandson, too! That sounds like a fu outing. Hope Ned enjoyed the new little friend!

Jackie said...

Squishy parcels are the best.

God bless.

Karen said...

I'm seeing granny squares everywhere now. I might think about starting one with the remnants of my Christmas knitting yarn. Five of my seven grands live half a days drive but I haven't seen them in four years.

Linda said...

Oh a movie looks fun! You look pretty in front of that marquee. Love seeing your Granny squares and those colors are pretty. What a gorgeous batik bird fabric! I'm interested to hear how Ned did with the tiny dog. ;)

Jenn Jilks said...

Our kids saw Dune last month!
Isn't Jean wonderful?!! I love her so much.
It's great getting back to things, isn't it?!

Denise :) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Dune! I've been debating on whether I wanted to see it or not. It's been a long time coming! Happy birthday to your grandson! What a great gift! What a sweet nest! :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I remember reading the Dune book (I think there was more than one but it was a long time ago!). Not sure that I'm quite brave enough to risk a movie theatre quite yet though.
Such a lovely parcel of love from your friend in NZ - that bird fabric is gorgeous.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It sounds wonderful to have family gatherings again, enjoying birthday celebrations, and going to the movies, too! Our youngest son really liked Dune, too - I hope to see it. What a fun package from your New Zealand friend as well. Your Yuletide blanket looks great to me!

Deb A said...

Family birthday get togethers are the best! We did a family meal out for mine this week =). The blanket colors are very pretty. Enjoy your Sunday.

Karrin Hurd said...

My granddaughter just turned 8 too! How lovely you got to attend Dune with your grandson! Great package from Jean! Hope you have a great week!

Kim Carberry said...

What lovely photos. Happy birthday to your grandson. The drum lessons sound like a lot of fun. x

Lydia C. Lee said...

Isn't that nest just perfect? And nature at it's finest. #MySundaySnapshot

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet grandson. Oh my, such a gorgeous photo you captured of him. It reminds me of a 'Pears' painting from years ago. Your excursion to the movies sounds wonderful. How lovely to receive a thick package from your friend in New Zealand filled with pretties. LOVE that exquisite bird fabric. Love those sweet little kiwi birds. Enjoy your Yuletide crocheting....such pretty colours.

Shelley said...

Yes, I definitely agree that you need to move down at least one hook size smaller for the Christmas blanket. The colors are gorgeous aren't they. I am working on other stuff right now but plan to do this one after the new year for next Christmas. Shelley in lovely fall in New Brunswick

thisiswhereitisat said...

Aww happy birthday to your grandson :) #mysundaysnapshot

Jenny said...

How wonderful to receive a squishy parcel from Jean here in New Zealand. She is a lovely person and we often have chats too. The blue batik she sent you features NZ native birds and I have the same design in dark forest green.
Great that you could catch up on some family time, such a lovely photo with the birthday cake.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It's wonderful to see everyone starting to go out again. What a great gifts from your New Zealand friend. Love that bird fabric!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a fun parcel to receive from the other side of the world! The crochet blanket colours are pretty…I have had technical issues with some knitting projects recently and ended up ripping two entire projects out and starting again. Worked out much better the second time around in both cases

Bonnie said...

How fun to receive quilty stuff in the mail. I'm looking forward to pics and stories about the two dogs. And, whatever you are working on now.

SarahMummy said...

What a lovely parcel to receive! How lovely to spend quality time with your two grandsons too.
Popping over from #mysundaysnapshot

RachelSwirl said...

Such lovely photos and happy belated birthday to your Grandson. Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.