Wednesday 3 November 2021

Yuletide Blanket, Courthouse Steps Hand Quilting, Beef Stew Plans

November feels a little like March as a month to me.  Here in Canada they're kind of marker months that just hold time between months with celebrations, etc.  Maybe I feel like that because in school we would have the fun of Halloween then time in between, November, before beginning the build up to the main event of Christmas. Celebrating these events with children during the school year is just the best feeling in the world and made the hard work of keeping up and matching the energy so worthwhile. 

 But for just now, next up on my agenda is the hand quilting on the Courthouse Steps begins. There's been some deliberation and research on my part about how to quilt it...that was interesting as I saw all kinds of quilting going on for Courthouse Steps. In the ditch, swirls throughout, full coverage straight lines and on and on. Basically, not a set pattern for this particular block as I thought there might be, instead just up to the quilter I guess. I was interested to find out if there was a vintage or traditional kind of way to quilt it but no luck.  Last night I laid down these lines on the scrappy strips while watching tv. using a variegated red, white and blue Sulky thread doubled. 

Sorry for the weird quality of this photo. The sun was shining brightly one minute, then gone completely the next.  Ahhh November sun I guess. 

 Sorting this will be a task for this week.

Update...several have mentioned the idea of laying one line down the middle of each strip and that way both the reds and the scrappy ones get some quilting. Think I'll proceed with that idea for the next set and see how it goes. Thoughts???

Yesterday I got this bundle below in the mail.  What a beautiful squishy bundle it is! Like fabric, wool just stirs me. I want to touch it and begin knitting or crocheting something right away. I always think that when I can no longer embroider or quilt, working with wool will still be there for me. 

 This wool bundle is special...it was curated by Lucy of Attic 24 to crochet the Yuletide Blanket she designed.

It came all the way from the Wool Warehouse in the UK and you can see their little note about not having their usual gorgeous reusable organza bag due to stocking issues. Stylecraft DK
  I've made note of the twelve colours and made a wee start. 
 The only new thing in this pattern is the Spike Stitch and I'm eager to see how that one goes.  Now if I can just make it past the first 4 rounds I will be fine.  I've crocheted lots of granny squares before but never a giant one for an afghan and this one is using a different counting and spacing. All good to keep the brain challenged a little. Wish me luck!

What we talked about this week

I loved your reactions to that sumptuous Rifle Co fabrics in the last post.  I agree with  Life on the Hill Libby it doesn't scream Holiday exactly which is a plus for quilters too.  Ok I gave in and ordered it. 😁

Someone mentioned going to the grocery store and buying a roast that cost so much money they must keep it now for a special occasion. In fact all groceries seem so much more expensive lately.  That is certainly true here in the Ottawa area. How is it in your area??

That reminded me that I have my own small roast in the freezer that I need to use.  This recipe in the recent Newfoundland Downhome magazine looks  as good a one as I would find on the net or in a cookbook so I'm going to try it this week. I guess it's time for those "stick to your ribs" kind of meals. What's cooking at your house?  You know I love to talk food.

I'm here beavering away this week at those two projects mentioned above.  Hopefully more progress to show soon. 

So happy to share this post with Texas Quilt GalLife in the ScrapatchQuilts Art WhateverQuilting Patchwork AppliqueSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsSum of Their Stories and The Inquiring Quilter.





26 comments :

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your courthouse steps quilt! That red just makes me happy, especially during the cold winter months. Prices of groceries here are super high. It's very difficult for the seniors and young families right now. Your wool is fabulous and can't wait to see your blanket! The colors are yummy! Have a wonderful day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I loved the peek at your quilting on Courthouse Steps! The variegated thread looks perfect for it. When you hand quilt, do you use a hoop, Jocelyn? I want to hand quilt my rainbow trip around the world quilt, but need a backing for it first. The next question always is, like you - what design should I use?! Seeing your progress on Courthouse Steps makes me want to get going on it.

Linda said...

Your stitching and the thread on courthouse steps - beautiful!
I love Lucy's projects and still have the yarn for Moorland Blanket that I haven't even started! I fell in love with her colors and still enjoy looking at those skeins together! I was very impressed with the prices and shipping from the UK Wool Warehouse.
We love roast beef but it was out of sight expensive at the grocery store. I saw a couple crockpot chicken recipes on Melva Loves Scraps blog that I want to try!
Thanks for linking to To Do Tuesday!

Denise :) said...

Your stitching is so pretty...I love hand quilting, especially in the winter months! Your yarns are so pretty, rich colors. Todd made a big batch of chili (which I consider a "stick to your ribs" meal) and I'm making a pot of stew this weekend! Our temps have dipped considerably, so I'm ready for warm foods! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

some groceries are going up in price here too but I must admit to not really paying close attention to grocery store prices - with just the two of us it isn't like I need a huge roast - when I buy a roast I tend to cut it in two or three pieces for the freezer and roast a portion in the crock pot that comes out 4-5 slices then there is enough for one meal. It isn't like we buy a lot of other stuff, groceries, stuff for outside, and quilting/computer stuff - we know our budget so I am not going to worry about how many more cents a canned item is - if I want it I get it - if I want a roast I buy it. We do not eat out real often or do a lot for entertainment.
For your quilting I used to do a lot of outline stitching like you are doing and then I started to do less like down the middle - either way will be nice

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

oh and glad your yarn arrived - good luck making the square - I just couldn't get it figured out right and kept messing it up so went for rows

Jenny said...

Food prices are sneaking up higher everywhere it seems. But we have go be sensible and make sure we still eat properly. Often a roast is quite good value as you can get several meals and a lunch from them. I love a good hearty stew and cook mine in the crockpot, never tried a recipe with a jar of pickled onions though.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

ooooh - squishy goodness in the mail, how exciting!
The beef stew recipe looks good. Tonight we had Maple BBQ Baked beans done in the slower cooker, so good and comfort food for a cool fall day.
Grocery prices are on the rise here too. Hate to think what they'll be mid-winter.

loulee said...

Your Court house steps will be lovely with a little straight line quilting.
I'll look forward to seeing your Yuletide blanket growing, I do love Lucy's patterns.

Nancy J said...

With the Covid raging, prices for everything are more expensive, not the same food or grocery specials, fabric neither, and a roast, last week Hugh did a lamb one on the barbeque, and is doing another tonight . It will be hot tonight, another cold slices with gravy, then minced, and maybe Shepherd's Pie. The bone and scraps go to a friend's dog, nothing is wasted.The price is about $16 to $20 per kg, and a $28 NZ dollar price will do us for at least 3 meals. Save for best, ?? at my age, it is the best time right now!!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your quilts are always beautiful we admire your talent. That stew sounds yummy!

piecefulwendy said...

Like Diann, I'm curious whether you are using a hoop. I need to try some hand quilting again, so I'll ponder whether I have a UFO I could use. You've reminded me that I should pull out a roast and put it in my crockpot one of these days!

Jackie said...

I can hardly wait to see how you quilt the courthouse steps.

Meat prices are crazy here as well. Heck it seems like every time I enter the store prices on everything have gone up once again.

God bless.

Libby in TN said...

Now you have to come up with a project for that not-so-holiday fabric! I hope you have better luck with the afghan than Karen did.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love your projects!

LA Paylor said...

yes groceries are not only very expensive, but hard to get often here in Denver area. We order from amazon/whole foods delivery and often as not they are "out" of what we order. Never in my long life has this been an issue. the wool is sumptuous and yes on that kind of quilting. That's what my granny did and her quilts lasted and looked better with each wash

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Love your Courthouse Steps quilt...so colorful...and the quilting is awesome. Your Squishy bundle of yarn is awesome...I've never crocheted with wool before...I'll have to get some and try it out. Your Roast recipe sounds really yummy. Have a great day!

Susie H said...

Love your courthouse quilt. I guess any quilting looks good on it since there's no set quilting pattern to find. The design & colors speak for themselves! Have a great week!

grammajudyb said...

Love seeing your hand quilting on Courthouse steps. Do you use a hoop when you quilt? Today, Friday, I am trying a brisket in the crockpot! I’ve never done a brisket before. But we bought a half a beef a while ago, and two were included! Fingers crossed!

grammajudyb said...

Love seeing your hand quilting on Courthouse steps. I’m curious too. Do you use a hoop when you quilt? Today, Friday, I am trying a brisket in the crockpot! I’ve never done a brisket before. But we bought a half a beef a while ago, and two were included! Fingers crossed!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I can see how November can feel that way, with Thanksgiving taking place in October. Food prices do seem to be going up, or things are just missing from the shelves! We have been visiting my in-laws, and my mother-in-law has been cooking up roast beef, wonderful vegetables fresh from the garden, with popovers (Yorkshire puddings) and gravy. So delicious!

Kathy S. said...

Love the hand stitching on the quilt. Yes, November makes it challenging to photo quilts, but I know it's beautiful. Yum on the beef stew. My husband and I were talking about beef stew last week. It's that time of year!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your Courthouse Steps and the hand quilting lines are just perfect. This is what I love with quilting, same pattern but different fabrics and quilting, and the quilt is unique. Pretty new yarn, it's going to be a bright and cheerful project!
Thank you for sharing with Patchwork & Quilts link party today :)

Robin said...

The log cabin quilt is lovely. I like the idea of overall quilting by running a row of stitches down each strip. The beef stew recipe was interesting. I've never had a parsnip. And, also the use of pickled onions was unusual for me. Did it turn out well? The bag of yarn has so much potential - have fun.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

No matter what you decide, I'm loving your hand quilting! Perfect touch for your Courthouse Steps. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Sum of their Stories said...

Thank you for sharing with us at Handmade Monday. As I'm in the UK myself I'm very familiar with Stylecraft yarn, it's one of my go tos. I made a crochet granny square jumper from it last year and it's holding up brilliantly.
I love your quilting, the mix of colours and prints is so joyful.