Friday 7 June 2024

Quilting Projects, Garden and Thursday Chat

Everything is about the garden these days here in our tiny patch of the world. I tried to think of a word to describe ours and came up with lush. I was exclaiming how the heat has encouraged so much growth; the front area is full and almost overgrown looking so early in the season. Tony pointed out that I've been adding to it each summer for the eight years I've been here. Of course, everything has grown taller and wider over those years. At this point, I won't be adding any more plants/trees to the front and side gardens. My work here is done. But on second thought, maybe more flowering bushes in other parts of the property would be nice. 

Ned smelling the poppies while thinking get me out of this heat!
We topped 30C on Wednesday and Ned does poorly with the heat. We think his dark brown coat might have something to do with it. And just like last summer, his dermatitis has set in. We are spraying and shampooing each day to help control it for him. Poor Fellow If you know of a helpful product we could be using, please let me know.

Tiny 9 Patch EPP blocks in blues...still in their cardboards so a little bumpy...
I'm also still plugging away at my ongoing scrappy Confetti Blocks. I keep this batting covered piece of foam next to my sewing machine to sort the scraps for these blocks. The trick is to use lots of whites to perk up the colours, I've noted. These are leaders and enders, as some call it. 
I still have lots of Tilda fabric left over from my Plaid quilt finished HERE in 2022. A quilt I've always wanted to make is an Orange Peel one. I might give that a try on the weekend- I do have several orange peel templates. I'll have to look for any solids that might coordinate too as these are busy.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is if we can rest during free time or do we feel we have to keep moving, doing, etc. I was definitely taught to keep doing...the devil finds work for idle hands. Though I never heard that said in the home, we definitely learned that you must keep busy. I think these lessons get absorbed. Like never sleeping in or lying down during the day unless sick. I did hear keeping your hands busy is good for you-it takes your mind off things, etc. My parents led by example with this as I don't remember either of them ever sleeping in or taking naps, or taking time for themselves in any kind of way, etc. I can watch tv during the afternoon while stitching. Tony learned that this is somehow a bad thing, that there is something wasteful or lazy about it. Even now at almost 85, he cannot watch tv during the day, only at night.  5pm is the magic hour when it is "okay" to watch tv. Can you believe that?
I have to keep busy and my hand stitching certainly plays an important role in this. How about you? 

I find the first cup of coffee in the morning disappears quickly. Do you? One cup is my limit so I'll have a cup of decaf later on. This is my old Pioneer Woman mug from Walmart. Still love those flowers and the pretty shade of blue handle.  
I'm off to the library for a poke about and then to the grocery store. Almost always we bundle our chores off the property these days. Thank you for your kind comments on my last post...very appreciated! Hope you all are enjoying these early summer or early winter days depending on where you are on this amazing planet of ours. 

28 comments :

piecefulwendy said...

Our local greenhouse has all plants 50% off today, so I'm considering stopping by. Not that I need anything, you know, but just in case! Poor Neddy, I hope you find some relief for him. Our daughter's lab doesn't tolerate heat well either. I read your previous post - I hope you kept that pretty red blouse!

cityquilter grace said...

pretty tilda fabrics...at first i thought they were liberty fabrics...so delicate looking and summery

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such pretty poppies, Jocelyn! Poor Ned - I hope his summer isn't too uncomfortable. That Tilda fabric is so pretty - and I love the plaid quilt from a couple years ago. I've never owned or sewn any Tilda, but it's very tempting! That's such a pretty mug - sipping something out of a favorite mug is always such a pleasure!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This spring has been lovely so far, not much heat here though but I'm sure it's coming! your Tilda fabrics are beautiful, happy stitching!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love your mug and I have the plate that goes with that mug--would of liked the mug too--probably they are all gone by now--??
And I too am one to keep busy every minute--right up to bedtime (10:30pm)--I am doing something--evening while watching tv--it is hand work--embroidery or hand quilting and then finally knitting my baby sweaters for donations--I did take a 45 minute break yesterday late afternoon as I had sewed all day making 3 baby quilts--and I was exhausted--and in some pain by the time they were done--I was hoping to deliver them this morning--but that hasn't happened yet!! and like your husband--I won't turn the tv on til 4 pm for the most part--but some days it is a bit earlier!!! (used to be 7pm--!!!when I was younger!!!)
hugs, diane

Nancy J said...

Early winter here, and I never feel ashamed to watch TV during the day, or put my feet up or even have a snooze. Those poppy flowers are stunning.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I used to watch tv in the daytime but found I was extremely lazy doing that - I rarely turn the tv on before the evening news

Helen said...

I think we might have been raised in the same home! Your description could have been written by me. Busy hands are happy hands!

Jenny said...

Poor Ned, suffering in the heat. 30 degrees is rather hot, our Summer temps dont go that high, about 23-25 usually. At the moment, in early winter, we are about 15 degrees here lately, but still fine and sunny, although getting cooler. I think your pretty fabrics will look good as orange peel blocks.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

My parents always kept busy too. As my dad got older, it seemed strange that he would watch television so much. After a series of small strokes, it was all he could do. My mother still cleans the house but does rest in the afternoon. She's almost 85 so I think she needs it. I should rest more. I love your little 9-patches and your confetti blocks. Great use of scraps!

Deb A said...

I went back and read quite a few posts. I do remember my Mom making jello with a can of fruit cocktail in it, although I preferred just the diced peaches. That was an afternoon snack after school. I love your thrift tops - the red will be lovely on you and I love the Northern Reflections one. I miss that store - they had wonderful t-shirts. All your projects are beautiful, especially the Bramble. Enjoy your weekend.

Jackie said...

I managed to get out to do a bit of weeding today, sort of catch up on those things I have been putting off in order to do something a bi more interesting.

I have a bit more catching up to do tomorrow and then all should be good.

Rain and cool today, so hopefully tomorrow will be much warmer.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

I love those poppies. The little nine patches are cute. And a very pretty mug. I'm with you with the difficulties of being idle and taking naps. Rob is the opposite and is always trying to get me to slow down.

Anne Kirby said...

Poor Ned, I hope he is drinking a lot. I just got a Pioneer Woman mug, it is 17 Oz and I love it!! And yes, I go from busy to busy all day long.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I’m always tweaking my garden…moving plants around, filling in a bare spot … part of the fun of being a gardener. Love your scrappy improv quilt. The white helps to show off all the colourful fabrics. Fun to see Ned each week on your blog. He’s a great companion.

Linda said...

The photos of your landscape/gardens always looks so pretty, even in winter. Lush is a good word for them. I long for lush! Everything bakes in the summer here, I guess we need more trees. Your tiny blues are so pretty! Oh that Tilda fabric, I'd just pet it.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your Confetti Block looks like a fun project, love these scraps together! Tilda fabrics are beautiful, I love the purple shades, they will be gorgeous into Orange peel blocks. Sorry for Ned, I hope the temperatures will cool a bit.

Rose said...

I can't tell how tiny your 9-patches are but aren't they fun to make. I wish I could bring myself to make crumb blocks. I have LOTS of crumbs. My husband waits until 7:00 am to turn the TV on. LOL

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such possibilities are in process and you've just the right materials for those possibilities! The leftover Tilda prints would look great paired with solids for orange peel blocks! Poor Ned! I don't have any suggestions and hope some reading your post will have an idea.

LA Paylor said...

I totally loved your explanation of keeping busy... yep, the ingrained messages may no longer fit us but there they are, hidden but directing our movements!
LOVE your cup. I know about the coffee thing, I want two but try to only have one except on vacations! so funny! On vacations we might pass a coffee shop and have an afternoon cup, with a sweet.
Your quilting is so pretty, like a fabric garden of colors
LeeAnna

Barwitzki said...

Oh yes, the morning coffee is a must and preferably one a little later - and a nice coffee cup is a must. I also buy decaffeinated coffee every now and then and drink it when I think I've already had enough caffeine.
Your quilts are very beautiful. I hope you have fun sewing.
I quilted a pillow with Tilda fabric... it turned out beautifully... and now I also have Tilda fabric leftovers.
A cheerful greeting comes to you from Viola

Karrin Hurd said...

I don't usually watch TV until after 5 either or when I am eating dinner. This week it has been in the 100's and hard to work outside but I did get a 6 foot section of garden dug up of irises, naked lady bulbs and pineapple lily bulbs. Over about 12 years they have totally multiplied and was a mess. I am going to plant them in other sections and give part of them away. I didn't realize it was so overgrown! I have been resting recently because of the problem I have had with plantar fasciitis and needing to rest my back for awhile. This is not something I usually do though.

Kim said...

Oh, I have no problem with slowing down, sitting and just being, with nothing in my hands. =) Your Tilda prints are lovely. A few solids added to the mix will look fabulous. Love that pretty teacup of yours. Wish it was hot, hot, hot here.

Jayne Honnold said...

Random thoughts:

I love your term 'lush' - it aptly describes our garden here in central Ohio rather well, too.

I too leave the TV off all day, as I can't possibly think about giving it any more than evenings of my time. I love to multi-task when possible; this has made audio books my new favorite thing because I can sew and read at the same time!

I love your collection of Tilda scraps. What gorgeous thing will you make???

Finally, my mug gets refilled all morning; then I stop. :)

Have a great week!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

So many lovely projects in the works. The Tilda fabrics would looks so lovely in an Orange Peel quilt. I printed off a template the other day . Have a great week.

dq said...

Your fabric choice for Orange Peel - gorgeous! Are they Tilda fabrics or a variety of print?

The flowers by the dog are so pretty. I just love the warmth and growth of summer!

Marsha Cooper said...

I do not know how to have idle hands.....relaxing time would be sitting, not on my phone or the computer and reading or stitching instead.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Poor Ned. I wish I had some suggestions for what you could do for him.
I very rarely sit and do nothing because I get bored really quickly. I always have so many projects or good books to read and there's never enough hours in the day.