This is Gladioli by the artist, Adrian Paul Allison. Here is the link to Adrian's Wikipedia page.
Gladioli are the flower of August, my birth month. It blooms large and showy and in many colours. As much as I wish it were my favourite flower, it is not. In fact, if I lined up all flowers it would probably land near the end of the pack. It's a little too over the top for my liking. While I admire showy, it's not me. I prefer the wild flowers, the tiny, the ones that bloom against all odds in challenging weather and places. Blue Flag comes to mind as a perfect example. It blooms atop grassy Newfoundland cliffs where the stiff breezes off the North Atlantic can almost knock you over on a windy day. It blooms bright and beautiful in spite of the conditions with not a helping hand from anyone. The version I planted here is more of an Iris, tall and slender, compared to the stocky Blue Flag at home. But I do love it too.
I enjoyed my birthday very much. I'm 75 now and, though that's just a number, it does sound like a daunting figure to me. Am I now supposed to feel old but I absolutely do not. I'm very lucky so far with being able to move my body without aches or pains the same as I have done all my life. Tony will tell you it is because I work at it. Which I do but I'm thankful to be able to do that too and still have the will to keep it up.But getting back to the birthday. I had a weekend away at a beautiful hotel in a neighbouring town, Perth. Here is a view of our hotel from the park it is beside.
Here is a photo of our room snacks.
While together, I made a start on an embroidery kit Beth gave me last year. Puffins are Newfoundland's provincial bird.
The dogs gave me such a greeting when I got back I had to brace myself or they would have knocked me down.
Back home and with my sewing, I've pulled out this appliqued hanging to layer up and quilt which I have officially begun. This is Kim Mclean's floral design and you can see her beautiful work and designs at that link.
And on that colourful note, I'll end this post. I have lots more to share with you, so till next time then.






20 comments :
Happy belated birthday to you. I'm right there with you. I'm 73, and I keep thinking that I must sew faster and sleep less. I don't feel that old, and like you, I'm thankful that we can get out and go and enjoy.
Oh! I love the puffins.
August is a great birthday month! ;-)
Love the puffin embroidery. What a spread of snacks!!
Happy belated birthday! The puffin embroidery is a fun project. Sounds like a lovely time away. Gail at the cozy quilter.
What a fun birthday trip! That photo looks idyllic, so glad you enjoyed it. Happy birthday - you are 3 years younger than I am, so you are still a baby. :D
A belated happy birthday! I 'm just a little bit behind you. The applique project is so colorful and cheerful!
Happy birth day wishes (albeit a tad belated now). Sounds like you had the absolute perfect birthday celebration. I've been through Perth a few times and didn't realize they have a hotel.
Happy 75th, Jocelyn--you are still a "babe in the woods"--at 83 I am the "oldie" here, hahaha!! [we say we are not getting old, we are advancing!!)))) ]. Sounds like a lovely birthday you had. Love the little Ouffin embroidery--do you use 6-stranded floss? i have such trouble keeping it from tangling, and getting all messed up!! I have been switching to Perle cotton #8, but I miss that nice floss sheen...
Hugs, Julierose
I will be 74 this month - I'm right behind you! Happy Birthday
A belated Happy Birthday to you. What a nice gift of a weekend away that included a fabric store visit. At 78, I'm more aware of my age as I don't have the energy, strength, or agility I had in my younger days and find there's more things I can't do anymore. But I will ask for help when needed and I'm healthy and mobile, so I'll settle for that.
Pat
How wonderful to have a special birthday trip away at a lovely hotel, I presume you went with your daughter? I'm sure Tony was just as pleased to see you on your return as much as the dogs were.
You were in Perth! Happy birthday. We live just down the road. I wish I'd known.
11 years to catch up to me. Happy Birthday, what a great way to celebrate, and enjoy. A trip away, greetings galore when you returned, the words from "Pippa Passes" come to mind, Robert Browning to you,
" The year's at the spring,
The day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hillside's dew pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven-
All's right with the world"
If only the last line was true everywhere, but in each of our own worlds, we make it happen each day.
Much love dear friend.XXX
Happy Birthday! And what a lovely way to spend it. The puffin design is brilliant. We have puffins here in UK but only in certain places so I have never seen one - but would love to as they are so quirky. And I do love the name of their little ones, pufflings! xx
best belated wishes! i too am an august baby and i do love the glads...they are so strong, make a real color statement i think...i am 77 now and i don't feel it either, just my knees, but we are blessed for every day to enjoy our hobbies....love the applique
Happy Birthday, Jocelyn! That looks a lovely trip. I love your puffin embroidery -so handy to get it in a kit. Enjoy your stitching!
Happy Birthday to you ! Glad you have been having a nice break away . Oh that Puffin embroidery kit is gorgeous . I have only ever seen Puffins in the far north of England, at Lindisfarne . They look so cheeky ! We don't have them where we are as far down to the South West as you can go . It's the Choughs that everyone wants to see here . Oh I laughed to think of your dogs over-joyed to have you home ! lol ! love Debbie 💐x
Just starting to catch up with everyone today. Love the wall hanging, and the puffin cross stich/embroidery is going to be just perfect.
God bless.
Huge thanks to Email: support@boleynonline.com for their remarkable service! When I thought all hope was lost, they stepped in and recovered my 78000 USD and wallet. Their outstanding communication and professionalism throughout the process were truly impressive; I was able to recover all my money. Grateful
Happy Birthday a bit belated! You are just a month older than I am! 75 and still alive!
Post a Comment