With continuing overnight frost warnings, I decided to move the outdoor potted plants back inside. I repotted a couple and added the usual natural supplements-ground egg shells and coffee grounds, while doing so. I've spent a lot of time in the garden this summer pulling weeds, etc. every day. I say to myself just fifteen minutes but I usually wind up spending much more time as there is always something that needs trimming, cutting, etc. The Gorilla cart continues to be very useful for my garden work and for taking the garbage out the laneway so is pressed into service all year round.
Glanced out the sewing room window one day and saw these two romping about, using the side lawn as their personal playground. They were having so much fun together- a sight I've never seen before. They looked small so must be litter mates to be so friendly. They looked very healthy which is good.
All the autumn wild flowers are in bloom and banks of the various Asters surround the pond. This year I identified four different ones.
I couldn't resist trying a bouquet of the brighter New England version for indoors. Sadly they don't last nearly long enough.

My stitching fingers have also been busy. I've embroidered a little more on my Puffins. Very enjoyable stitching.
Beth decided she would order the hooked rug kit from Hook Line Tinker and try her hand at hooking a little Puffin rug. Here is her progress. Both my grandmothers and my mother hooked rugs. I latch hooked a couple of rugs when I was in my late teens and another for the in laws when I was in my thirties. I loved the Mary Maxim magazine and still do all these years later. This surprise autumn project is moving along; the one on the cover of Edyta's book here...
Choosing the fabrics for the leaves has been fun and now getting them all embroidered with a simple blanket stitch is very soothing work. I've made more of them than originally intended so this project may change from houses with leaves to leaves with houses.
Yes, I ran out of fabric for one of these, ugh! So close! I realized afterwards I should have sacrificed the stem, not the leaf tip.
Remember Flora, my cross stitching project for September? 
Here is my progress. I'm loving stitching that border! I'm leaving the star of the piece till last.
I haven't been sharing my reading which is averaging an e book or audio book a week. I really enjoyed this one recommended by a friend, A Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, by Melissa Bank. Hunting and fishing in this case refers to finding, holding and enjoying -or not- relationships with men. It is an older book and I can't believe I'd never heard of it. Very clever!
I'm presently listening to the audio version of Margaret Atwood's book,
Book of Lives, and enjoying it. Margaret still has so many clever things to say.
Have you ever done this? Went to search for something, forgot what you are searching for but kept on searching thinking you would recognize what you wanted when you saw it. I did that the other day and sure enough, it worked!
Someone here is very anxious I get off the computer and get outside.
So I will since I'm so urgently needed! I do hope you are feeling well and have lots in your life to keep you occupied and happy. Busy is good!
2 comments :
Your asters are so pretty, and the views of your fall are much envied. Those foxes are adorable. I bet I've mentioned before the lady who used to frequent the church office where I worked. She was prim and proper but had a wicked sense of humor. She latch-hooked beautifully and declared herself a "hooker" when asked. The Flora border is exquisite. Love the leaves on the Edyta project.
Look at those foxes - great photo, Jocelyn! I love those leaves you're appliqueing, too. I've never read Margaret Atwood, but it always sounds like her books would be ones I would like. Sweet Ned - I bet you can't resist him!
Post a Comment