Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Summer Flowers, Autumn Stitching and New Start

I'm seeing signs that the autumn season is starting to take hold. The leaves are starting to turn and fall. It's been single digits overnight lately and staying cooler during the days. I like this time between the seasons and wish it would last longer here. 

 I transplanted two Japanese Anemone bushes to the right of the front path. This season they have really taken off. I didn't know they would spread like this! They have taken over the whole space but it is a plus that the bees love them.

Such a gorgeous little flower!

And here are two of my indoor plants that were outside since May.  My lovely Madagascar Jasmine  enjoyed the summer months on the front veranda. I've read it is also called Bride's Flower and I can see why. 
And my Coleus spent the summer on the back veranda as usual. It thrived as always and grew so tall. 
I'm reluctant to cut anything which can be a problem as most of the flower beds/areas need so much more trimming. I'm happy, though,with how much garden time I got in this summer in between the rain showers. And there is still time to do lots more. 
I'm also pleased with my summer stitching. I've finished a couple more houses for my autumn project
 and prepped the blocks for the appliqued maple leaves. I've finished a couple with my usual blanket stitch edging. Here is the first one. 
I've never had a specific plan about working on my cross stitch projects. I watch a number of flosstubers and several have a plan for when to work on what. One idea seemed to fit my way of doing things and that was to work on a designated project for a month. That way you can make seeable (is that a word?) progress. I'm going to give it a go. So I've put G.Legere away after spending August with him, or is it her. I've searched and can't find any information other than this is a reproduction of a French sampler. This is how much I've finished since last showing you...a bird, a tree, and a start on the house. I love working on this one very much and especially enjoyed stitching the scrolly alphabet. 
One of the things many cross stitchers do is make a new start for their birthday. So I thought I'd use that as my reason for starting Flora, a pattern from The Artsy Housewife I've had kitted for some time. 
It's time I stitched an owl and I love that decorative border. Gigi, the very arsty designer, is famous for her elaborate, beautiful borders. My fraternal grandmother's name was Flora; she was the wife of Ned who our Ned is named after. I always say if I get a cat, I will name her Flora. My grandmother never liked her name; she used to say it was a droll old name.
Here is my rather scant beginning on 32 count Belfast Dirty Linen.
Younger grandson, Robbie, has started Grade 8. Where oh where have those years gone????

It's blueberry picking time at home in Newfoundland. I really miss that. Growing up in Corner Brook, I could go to the woods behind our house and pick two cups of blueberries in a few minutes. That was just enough for Mom to make a cobbler kind of cake with the blueberries on the bottom of a square pan. The batter was more cake like than cobbler really and years later, she couldn't remember exactly how she made it. There was no recipe as such just what she had in her head. She remembered making a sweet sauce to pour over it which I didn't remember. She probably made that for Dad as he had a serious sweet tooth which I don't have and neither did she. Do you have a sweet tooth? 
On that happy note, I'll finish this post. My bank of free patterns has ballooned so I'll soon have to start sharing again. And I need to tell you about the marvelous books I've been reading too. So next time then. Take Care All!



17 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the fabric that you made your leaf from - a Wm. Morris print - I no longer have a big piece of it. Your flowers are all so lovely. Blueberries here are picked in early June! what a difference

Jenny said...

So nice to catch up with you again. My blog list has stopped updating, not just my problem as I presumed, but worldwide. So I have to click on each of my favourite blocks, which show as a week old, to see if a new one is there. Most frustrating as some write dayly, others every few days, and some only occassionly. I hope it gets fixed soon. Are you having problems like this as well?

Susie H said...

I am not, Jenny, but I would sure be frustrated with that situation too!

Susie H said...

Jocelyn, you always have such interesting posts. You are in the single digits and we are in the triple digits! Pshew! I hope you are making good progress on Flora. That is a beautiful pattern!! I can certainly see why you were so attracted to it. Between your grandmother's name and your love of barn owls, it was meant to be!

PaintedThread said...

Pretty plants. I like your maple leaf. Such pretty cross stitch on such fine fabric. Your grandson is a handsome kid! Blueberry cobbler sounds delicious. Enjoy the fall!

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

I love your plants, especially the Japanese anemone bush blooms. Robbie is so cute! Your appliqued leaf is beautiful. I would sacrifice so much to have a temperature below 99 right now - but not sure I could handle the winters up north!

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful hand work! I have a grandson who entered 8th grade this school year, also!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your plants are stunning! Wish you could send just a little bit of your green thumb to me because I seem to kill most of my plants in short order. Brought the lemon 'tree' inside this morning so I expect she will show her displeasure by dropping a ton of leaves.
That owl is adorable and the pretty border adds so much more to the overall design.
Our oldest grandson started gr. 7 which is going to be a real adjustment for him because he's been homeschooled ever since covid hit.
I don't have much of a sweet tooth and luckily neither does the RC. We have a little bit of dessert on the weekends but he always cuts the sugar content by at least half.

loulee said...

Lovely to see the goings on in the garden and your cross stitch. I pulled mine out yesterday too.

Pamela Dempsey said...

I hear you! I’m in Northeast Texas and the forecast keeps pushing the cooler weather farther out. Now maybe next weekend instead of Monday 😔. This summer has been more brutal than last year.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your plants and flowers are beautiful, Jocelyn - I especially love those anemones! Pretty projects you're working on, too. The houses and leaves are a fun combination! Blueberry cobbler sounds yummy - there is nothing better than fresh picked blueberries.

Jackie said...

One can really see fall arriving. It has been just above freezing here so I have put off picking all the tomatoes for a bit yet. Hopefully I don't or haven't waited too long. I love your stitching and the maple leaf is beautiful. The fabric you used is wonderful.

God bless.

Nancy J said...

your words are a real uplifter!!! ( That's a made up word maybe). Love your stitching, and memories of earlier days, I have had a lot lately, as so many friends or schoolmates have passed on. One this week, we were at primary school together and were always either first or second in each subject, taking turns maybe.His Dad was the Headmaster. Time moves on slowly when you are young, now the days fly by.Love to you both. ( wore my "beaver" scarf to the Dr today). He is upping my thyroid dosage and another blood test next week.

Anonymous said...

Our book club just finished reading The Day the World Came to Town, about 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland. The book praises the Newfies for their outgoing, generous spirits and their ability to rise to the occasion. I loved the story. Your garden is gorgeous! Your green thumb is in evidence in all the photos. My husband’s grandmother was accused of having a green thumb. She said she didn’t, she just puttered and tried things. Some worked and some didn’t. My puttering is not consistent! Hers was!!!!! We have not had a breath of fall here in central Texas. Predicted today is 100 degrees, again!!! We have had a very hot, dry summer. Some fall weather would be so welcome! Carol in Texas

grammajudyb said...

I have been absent from blog reading. I just seem overwhelmed lately. Hopefully I’ll overcome the ‘blahs’ soon. Your cross stitching is beautiful . I have that Edyta Sitar book also. I made the spool quilt. Pieced blocks and appliqués, my favorites

michael said...

Huge thanks to Email: support@boleynonline.com for their remarkable service! When I thought all hope was lost, they stepped in and recovered my 78000 USD and wallet. Their outstanding communication and professionalism throughout the process were truly impressive; I was able to recover all my money. Grateful

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such beautiful flowers!