Thursday 16 January 2020

No Bake Refrigerator Peach Cake, Three Beauty Products

I must admit I am worried about how much of our planet is being incinerated right now as I write these words. With a preschool understanding of world politics, I can only wish for any changes necessary be made and that help continues to pour into these areas.  And that the people who need to take on the mantle of environmental stewardship, do so in a meaningful way.  Hope!
                                  Image result for bible quotes about hope
This reminded me of another small cross stitch project I finished...I can't remember when exactly.  I think at the old farm when I was seeing cardinals for the first time and was amazed by their colours.
They stand out so much around here amongst our brownish/greyish coloured songbirds. Now that I have unearthed this, I will figure out how to use it somehow.  A little too big for an ornament, though but would work well for another small project finish.
I promised to show you my online shopping from Green Fairy Quilts.  I've had my eye on the Minick and Simpson Northport fabric and when it came on sale I decided to splurge. What I was actually shopping for was the Kona jelly roll in white...it is more of a light cream which I think will suit the project in mind better.  So now I have no excuse not to get these brilliant Christmas Coins strips sewn together.
 This was my first fabric purchase in a long time so it was exciting and it will be my very first time using a jelly roll!  Wish me luck!
A long time ago, I promised to show you three beauty products I've been using and liking. I never wore any makeup for decades of my life so this whole beauty product thing has been a later in life adventure for me.
First up is the L'Oreal Age Perfect Rosy Tone Cream.  I talked about this last year and I am now on my third jar.  My skin is dry so this somewhat thicker face cream works well for me and I do think it brightens me somehow.
                              Image result for helen mirren loreal
The middle item is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer.  I have ghostly pale skin and anything tinted is usually too dark...even once when I had a facial, the lady did not have a cream light enough for me. This one is ON1 Petal which is the lightest.  I use it sparingly and for special times and it is light and blends well...another problem I have with tinted creams.

I also have dark shadows under my eyes and I am always looking for undereye creams that would help with that issue.  This one, the Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector, light to medium, works well for me. I use a tiny bit of this in the corners and it gives a little reflecting sheen depending on how you move.  I guess reflecting light is a good thing.
Pretty basic stuff.  (And just for the record, I absolutely do not have any affiliation with any of these make up folks in case you are wondering).

I love the idea of a no bake cake recipe.  We still have Christmas chocolate floating around...But when I read this remarkably simple and delicious sounding No Bake Refrigerator Peach Cake I had to bookmark it.
So on this delicious note, my post today is done.  Oh, just one more photo.  Bunnies are once again hiding close to the house, especially under the rock landscaping in the back yard. Another favourite spot is under the bedroom window area where there is warmer air from the furnace pipe doohickey and the air conditioning unit provides some shelter. They are all cottontails.
A little comfort and shelter during the snowfalls.
Happy to link with Not Afraid of ColorNeedle and Thread NetworkSugarlane Designs,  My Quilt InfatuationViewing Nature With EileenClever Chameleon and It's a Small Town Life.

33 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always nice to try beauty products to see if they work - I have tried many in hopes of fading age spots and have had no luck - they do not seem to work for me. I haven't seen the L'Oreal tinted cream. Love the cardinal cross stitch and your fabric!

loulee said...

Your coin quilt will be lovely with a cream sash.
Have fun with your new fabrics and thanks for sharing the recipe, I used to make that one as a child.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your Cardinal cross stitch is beautiful. I tend to waste many products after finding out they have scent I am allergic too. Your fabric is lovely and the cake looks yummy. Cute bunny. Wishing you a happy day!

NADINE said...

A lovely and inspiring post, Jocelyn, THANK YOU ! :)

I love your fabrics. I felt my fingers itching, which is a good sign, as I'm in a real quilting slump right now…
The cake looks yummy :)
I've been using that wonderful Age Perfect Loreal cream daily, and I'm VERY happy with it, wouldn't want being without it. Definitely Worth it !

xoxo
Nadine

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your beautiful cardinal stitchery, Jocelyn! We have continue to have hope in these frustrating times. I think using the jelly roll strips in between your coin strips is the perfect idea, because they are already cut for you. I really struggle with cutting long thin strips of fabric and keeping them straight and consistent. That January cake looks yummy!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, I have great concerns about our dear Earth. Hope is definitely needed along with common sense and a dedication for that stewardship. Your stitched cardinal is lovely. The standout here as well amongst the drab gray. I haven't seen my pair outside my office window lately, but I surely hope they return in the Spring. I loved hearing their song to each other throughout the day. That bunny was certainly keeping an eye on you while you snapped his photo! Thanks for the product update, and the link for the delicious cake. I want to give a small warning about jelly rolls. Check the width - you expect them to be 2.5" but they may not be. It may measure from the edge of the pinked sides or the valley or both. If you're aware before you start sewing, you'll sew consistently the same way and you'll have no issues! It's particularly an issue when mixing different jelly roll strips together from different lines/manufactures. ~smile~ Roseanne

Tanya Breese said...

The cake looks delicious! I have been wanting to pick up a cross stitch to start!

Out To Pasture said...

Yes, our species is terribly hard on our dear planet. Hope --- and positive government action by all nations is the ticket. That cake looks delicious! I havn't seen a cotton tail yet this winter. I miss them.

Michelle said...

Our planet needs some loving care, right now. Many people need to realize this. The cake looks delicious!!! Thanks for linking up today.

Denise :) said...

What a lovely post, filled with fun things! I love your cardinal stitchery -- the red birds are my favorites! They make my heart smile. Your bunny is very cubby and cute. Our bunnies are making appearances right now, too! It's so funny; we go through spurts when we see them all the time and then we'll go weeks where we don't see them at all. I know there's a very good reason for this, I just don't have it all worked out! Your cake looks quite yummy and now I'm drooling a little! Enjoy your frosty weather! :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I tried a Berts Bees tinted moisturizer but it was awful consistency and dark (chose the lightest one). My daughter swears by it and her skin looks lovely. So, I need to try your suggestions. Thanks. That bunny is adorable. That cake looks so inviting. I’ve never heard of January cake before.

Brian's Home Blog said...

We sure need to take care of this planet, it is home. Love the Hope with the cardinal and that sweet bunny too. Our Dad thinks that cake looks mighty yum!

PaintedThread said...

Bunny! What a cutie! I like your cardinal, too. Good luck with the jelly rolls. And that cake looks tasty.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I must try to remember those face products and perhaps give them a try for myself.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love that you shared the make up that you use. I'm always interested in new products that people I know actually use and like! Everything is so expensive just to try. Love the quilt fabric and of course the cute bunny! Hugs!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your facial products sound nice. I have an olive complexion. The bunny is too cute. We have one running around which is huge, and has really long ears. LOL Your fabric is gorgeous. Oh I love the red Christmas Toile I saw on your post the other day.

piecefulwendy said...

How about a cute little bowl filler made from that pretty cardinal piece? You have so many good things in your post. That little bunny is so cute, and that coin quilt will be a cheerful item over the holidays!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thank you for your hopes and prayers.....they are appreciated very much. I do love that sweet cross stitch. Lovely new year purchases....enjoy!
How nice the bunny has found a warm spot xx

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the bunny! Your needlework is wonderful.
I use that same cream. It's so dry here in winter. I had to stop using any make-up, though. My glasses hide my eyes. I love a bit of eye liner and mascara. My cataracts are too itchy and irritated.

Linda said...

Northport fabrics are so pretty! Enjoy playing with your new fabric.
I'm always happy to see little creatures finding a warm spot in winter. Those bunnies are precious. Our bunnies here are little and brown and usually looking for fresh lettuce in my garden - lol! I don't mind them eating it though.

LA Paylor said...

for some reason the bunny picture just made me cry. The quiet safety, the same desire you and I have for protection of the earth and safety to live. Thank you for the cream reviews. I use and like daily face spf cream from Loreal so maybe I should try the tinted. I feel very dried out here in the winds of CO.

MissPat said...

Some very nice likes this week. I love the little cardinal piece and yes, you should put it to use. I'm going to look for your moisturizer recommendation as my skin gets very dry during the winter. I'm not a lover of jelly rolls and no longer buy them. I've not had great luck with them as they aren't always cut straight and I dislike the pinking on the edges. And while I think bunnies are really cute, they do a lot of damage in my gardens (along with the deer) so I'd rather see photos of them and not the actual animal. Boy, this has been a rather negative comment, sorry. The cake does look good, though. I'll try to be more chipper next time.
Pat

Pat

Kaisievic said...

Love the cute bunny and so enjoyed reading your post. The Cardinal stitched piece is gorgeous - maybe a small cushion?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love your wee cardinal - such a pretty design. I've often looked at jelly rolls and pondered buying one but then remind myself that I don't DO sane quilts so what on earth would I use it for. They ARE pretty though! I was interested to read about your beauty items - all I use is Marcelle night & day cream and eyebrow pencil. After a couple of bouts with eczema on my face I have to be really careful what I use.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jocelyn, stopping back to say thank you for linking up your cute bunny. I do not see them often in the winter months. I pray for our earth, something needs to be done. Have a happy day and weekend. I always appreciate your visits and comments.

Jennie in GA said...

My gdaughter will be an environmentalist, so maybe there is a trend towards that. Like you, I only know enough to help a little, and to hope. Love that sweet cardinal xstitch. Why don’t you make it a hanging small and display it on a cabinet knob?

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I think we all need to keep up hope for our planet and our future. I love your cardinal! So pretty! I like the fabric you bought too! Your Christmas Coins will turn out so nicely! I like the products you use for your face. I switch around every so often. I'm always looks for something better! Cake looks yummy too!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I keep checking to see how Newfoundland is doing as well. The whole world seems a mess and it is frustrating that the politicians in the majority here are obtuse about it. Love the name January cake :) It sounds like a Chunky candy bar we can sometimes get here (it's not that common anymore). It's a thick square of chocolate with raisins in nuts in it. Have you heard of it? I love your Hope needlework and your new fabrics!!! I think you should make the needlework into a nice wall hanging. It's too pretty to sit on as a pillow!!! Have a wonderful week Jocelyn! Hugs!

R's Rue said...

❤️

Debbie said...

ooooh that cake looks and sounds amazing. i too have chocolate floating around, dreams of cookies and candy never made!!

hope is beautiful!!

i think i have given up on my face...so many age spots how will i ever rid myself of all of them?!

Sum of their Stories said...

I hope you tried my January cake! My husband was working away for a few weeks so I'm afraid my middle son and I (who were the only ones at home at the time) ate the lot in our house! It did take us a few days if that makes it ANY better.
I know what you mean about the state of the world right now. It feels so hard to make any difference as individuals. I do think if we all make as good a choices as we can and each make small changes we will help things. What is a big thing if not lots of small things?
Your stitching is just beautiful :-)

Cristina said...

Maybe I have a thing for cardinals since I've stitched them twice this winter... they are so damn cute, aren't them? Your chocolate cake looks really yummy. I always feel so excited and frightened with a jelly roll under the rotary cutter... anyway, I am sure whatever you make with it will be amazing.

Cake Flix said...

Very Helpful information for the general public, If you're interested an online cake decorating tutorials then visit us:
Cake decorating
Chocolate Waterfall Cake Course Online
Steampunk Robot Cake Course Online
Online Cake Decorating Pro Courses