Thursday 30 January 2020

Winter Survival Stuff Here at the Wooden House

Lately our footsteps from all the days before are visible like small ruts in the snow. Melting and freezing enshrined them, then more snow has softened their look.  We pass the pond every day and I always think of the turtles and frogs marooned in their mud heaven far beneath the frozen snow covered surface. Most likely the same turtles I held in my hands last summer.

Keeping warm is important to me. I suffer from cold toes and fingers...the first parts to feel frozen, sometimes even when I am not particularly cold if you know what I mean, so I am a bit fussy about what covers them.  All my life when shaking hands, I'm the one who has to say sorry cold hands but you know cold hands, warm heart.  So when you say to me stay warm, believe me, I am.

So I naturally think of this when winter starts.  If there is an investment in my wardrobe, it is in the warming things.  Cozy sweaters, turtlenecks, down vests, anything fleecy, my bed socks.

Younger daughter and I both took advantage of the Boxing Day online sale to order this Columbia down filled coat and I'm enjoying it. The link is here if you're in need of a long down coat.



                              

Lined leggings- what an invention for us northern folks! This article in Good Housekeeping rated the 8 Best Fleece Lined Leggings. I have a pair from Under Armour that have actual fleece on the inside and they are the best for our outdoor walks.

I survive the winter by encouraging my plants to survive. ☺
When I think of an indoor garden, I think of a house I used to pass in one of the towns I've lived; it had a large porch on the front with a row of windows. Geraniums and ivies climbed to completely cover the window space and there were always flowers showing here and there.
  My claim to indoor gardening is a bit sketchy but I continually love to give it a go. I have ten or so plants most of which sat in the outdoor pots during past summers. With no sun facing windows, I feel like I'm just keeping them alive- barely, in these winter months. It's wonderful when we do see the sun so I move those that enjoy it to the patio door area to soak up a few rays.
Geraniums never let me down even to sending out the odd bloom mid winter.
I guess hobbies also include watching and recording all the critters around me which continues in winter....including this black squirrel below hanging off the bird feeder and can't miss really because look at that tail. How in the world did it get that distinctive missing fur ring?  He is a little aggressive with the smaller squirrels; did the tail suffer damage in a skirmish with something more aggressive than him. It reminds me of an old fashioned bottle brush my mother used to keep handy under the sink.
Other Hobbies too because creativity is good for mental health and staying busy is good for the mind and body especially when freezing rain is keeping us inside. We have had more of that these last two winters.
The Stitching of course -this week I've been working on this...
Getting the last of the Dresdens stitched into manageable panels.

And the first sandwiched ....the backing I've picked is this pretty blue with polka dots which are something I love. Pleased to have this project to this point.
But don't have quite enough of the blue so maybe I'll use a panel of this white with grey polka dotted fabric that I've had out of the bin for months to remind myself I have it.
                    
And hand stitching blanket stitch around the appliques for the Little Cabin in the Woods.

Which leads me to the last of the survival stuff for this post which is great TV viewing while stitching which makes my winter nights fly by.
Lately we've enjoyed this one...Vera, played by the wonderful Brenda Blethyn, is back with another season.  I love how she runs her hands through her hair and dresses seemingly willy nilly.  But make no mistake, her clothes are high quality...I've spotted several Liberty blouses and her shirt dresses are beautiful. Brenda says Vera has the clothes but doesn't know how to put them together exactly.
   Actress Brenda Blethyn during filming of Vera on South Terrace in Wallsend, North Tyneside
She's most famous for her hat and coat which are Barbour...and cost a pretty penny.

When teaching, I used to find January a long month but this one, the first of 2020, seems to have flown by. Surviving quite well in that case, I guess.  Hope you are too!
Linking this post with Not Afraid of ColorAlyciaquiltsFrom Bolt to Beauty , It's a Small Town Life, Floral PassionsFloral Friday Fotos, In the Jesh Studio, Confessions of a Fabric AddictViewing Nature With EileenQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and Elm Street Quilts.
.
.



30 comments :

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good Morning, Jocelyn! Wonderful likes to share this week. That squirrel! I do wonder about his tail as well, and how he is able to hang there and eat! That geranium sending out a nice little bloom - that is very cool and oh so welcome. We have had clouds all month - two days they say we've had sunshine. That is a LOT of gray. I can understand why people get SAD. I do notice the days are getting longer and hopefully February will offer more sunshine. ~smile~ Roseanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

We've had a winter chill here, below freezing, but nothing like you have. Keep plenty warm!

loulee said...

While you freeze, we are heating up! Sewing indoors with the air conditioning on is the way to go in NZ at the moment.

Jenny said...

Lots of lovely projects to keep you happily occupied indoors. We love watching Vera too.

Shannon said...

That squirrel is hilarious! It looks like the cartoon version of a squirrel with his tail in a light socket. The tail ring is so very bizarre! And lovely to keep your plants alive inside in the winter! I have lots of indoor plants that stay in all year round, and then my house gets even more full when I have to bring in the ones that live outside in the spring and summer!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

do you use the leggings by themselves or under loose pants? If I wear leggings in the winter my legs get cold but I do not have any fleece lined. That squirrel- what can I say :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I like your keeping warm comments. Lately I am cold all the time. I wear a long sleeve shirt, and a sweat shirt and heavy socks. That squirrel's tail! Oh my. Your plants are lovely, and your dresdens are coming along. Great likes as per the usual.

Lynn said...

A lovely post to read, talking about keeping warm. I'm in western Australia where temps are very opposite at present. Love your wildlife shots and good work with the Dresden. Thanks for your blog.

PaintedThread said...

Oh, we love Vera. Been very happy watching the latest season. I'm eyeballing a pair of flannel-lined jeans to keep me warm during walks. I like your little Dresdens!

Karen said...

I bought some fleece lined leggings at a little shop called Cozies in our local mall. Since I had knee replacement I find my leg gets cold easily. I knit bigger things in winter. The February I had my knee done was particularly cold so I made an Afghan while smuggled up to the wood stove.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like a great coat, Jocelyn! You must have a great spot in your house for the plants if your geranium wants to bloom right now! I had to laugh at that squirrel - we have that happen at our house all the time and are always chasing them off. He definitely does have an interesting tail. I always enjoy seeing the progress you're making on your stitching projects. We'll have to try watching Vera - we love all those British detectives!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, you scored some good deals on the coat and leggings - both brands are good ones. I have a Columbia raincoat that I've had for maybe 15 years, and I'm just now starting the hunt for a new one. Under Armour is good too. That squirrel and his tail - at least you can tell him/her from the others. Name him Ringo :-) I'm watching Vera right now too and I'm enjoying it. I want her hat. I love how she just kinda throws herself together and off she goes. Your dresdens are looking lovely!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I have a long coat like than and I love it! It surely comes in handy when the temps drop. I'm not very good with plants in the summer, never mind the winter! Your plants look nice! That squirrel looks like it's have a feast out there! I've never heard of Vera bu it sounds interesting!!

Out To Pasture said...

Big Vera fan here as well! Two mysteries about the squirrel -- what happened it's tail and how did it manage to climb that skinny pole?

Linda said...

Loved your post. Leggings are what I wear all winter with long sweaters and boots, but I never realized there were fleece-lined ones! I love the denim ones on Good Housekeeping's list. I love geraniums and would love to have them in a window but never can keep them alive. Your Dresdens are so pretty! OK I have to say it - "stay warm"! :)

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love reading how you cope with winter! I can't abide cold legs and wear silks all winter long (even in the house). The Dresden looks fab and I love your new phot header! The cabin in the woods is a really cheerful piece too! Love the colors! We love Vera too! We are all intrigued by the mystery of the squirrel's tale!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Except lined leggings? Cool (pun intended). I have one sun facing window in the living room but only a small space for plants. I wish I had more! OMG- that squirrel is serious. I love how you are able to get those shots.

Jenn Jilks said...

We've been buying the Vera series. We like it.
Good to keep warm. Better to enjoy the indoor activites and plants! BBbbrrrrr

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thanks for the link to the fleece lined leggings - I have fleece lined hiking pants and I love them. Your dresden quilt is just beautiful!! The background makes those fans stand out!

Michelle said...

Not familiar with the Vera series, but I will be looking that up. Too warm here in KY. We can't seem to get a bit of snow, sadly. Stay warm and thanks for linking up!

Patty said...

Nice progress! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Winter, to me, is definitely something to be survived. I'm cold from the first of October until the end of May and think hibernation would be a wonderful thing. I picked up a down coat similar to yours and thought it would be toasty warm - mine, not so much. Course the coat could be warm and it's just me! Love your squirrel with the odd-looking tail!

riitta k said...

Lovely thoughts! Winter needs some surviving efforts indeed, even if we have an exceptionally warm winter so far. I surviv through reading :)

LA Paylor said...

sometimes it's enough to survive and keep going. The dresdens are just my cup o tea. We read that wearing socks to bed help you sleep so we do that. I love a down coat. I've been living in my fleece cuddle dud leggings and long sweater tunics.

Jennie in GA said...

Interesting tail job on Mr. Squirrel. Definitely has me wondering! Congrats on moving forward on the dresdens. Sounds like you have a plan to stay warm....I have yet to pull out a winter coat down here in GA.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I am glad to know that I am not the only to wear socks to bed! But fleece-lined leggings are news to me - I will have to check that out. My neighbor has a pink geranium, and it is a delight to see it blooming throughout the winter. Thanks for the tip about Vera - my husband and I love the show but we were unaware there is a new season. She reminds me so much of Columbo.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I have a coat similar, the leggings sound great. I should look for a pair. My eyes seem to be affected from the cold wind, not sure what to do about my protecting my eyes. My hubby has the green thumb in the family. You are making nice progress with the quilt. I love the Vera series in the books by Ann Cleeves. I am not sure if I get the show on my cable account. The squirrels are a pain taking over the feeders, the birds stay away. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week! PS, I appreciate your visit and comment.

Clare M said...

Really enjoyed visiting your blog. Especially as we are sweltering under 35 C degree days here in New Zealand. Such opposites. Love your work.

Sharon Wayne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.