Sunday 19 January 2020

Cabins in the Woods, Christmas Coins, Hearts Too

Our house yesterday-view from the feeders at 4 pm
I had lots of emails about the bunny photo I took through my bedroom window shown in last post.  These are cottontails and do not dig burrows but mostly make use of available spaces to huddle in and use as nurseries. We see them year round and the winter gives us more information about their numbers and where they are hanging out. We think they are also using the wood pile at the back door to hide in. Their tracks are unmistakable and we have many, many lines of tracks crossing the property. Perhaps they are healthy as a population, here anyway and pretty safe close to the house. They provide me with amusement when I generally catch sight of those puffy white tails bouncing along and away from me on one of our walks. Just on Thursday that happened twice.
Today's project getting my attention is the table runner I'd labelled Little Cabin in the Woods. I will begin the applique starting with the cabin and trees there around it. Hope to have it done by the weekend.
This is the week I also start sewing the Dresdens together!  Fingers crossed as I have a vision in my head of what they should look like. And also I want to finish up these Christmas Coins which I have begun.  So far I am pleased with how it looks.  Jelly rolls are so much easier than measuring and cutting long narrow pieces of fabric...with my crooked eye anyway.  No Kidding!!
What's percolating...something with hearts maybe after seeing some of your projects. I'm not a huge huge heart fan but I do like them.  So a smallish project for now.  And it will have to be scrappy.  I have an insane amount of red scraps...where the heck they came from I don't know.
I'll share a project made with hearts next time.  I've admired it for years.

I have this book below checked out from the library once again for probably the fourth time.  I asked the librarian if I could buy it as I'm the only one checking it out.  She said as long as it's being checked out it stays on the shelf.  I pointed out that I was the one doing the checking out but it didn't matter.
Bit of a catch 22. Oh well.
Loads of hearts in this book.  Cheri's facebook group is still going strong this many years after her sad passing. A huge file of free patterns now available there also SAL's, etc.  Quilts By Cheri~Friendship Group
Though primitive in style, I'm intrigued by how some folks can take such patterns and make them look completely modern by the fabrics chosen or a design tweak here and there.  Stitchers amaze me so much with their boundless creativity. That would be you I am talking about!
Hope your Sunday is going well...stay warm, dry, or cool depending on where you are, but all stay hydrated!
Happy to be linking with Kathy's Quilts, Home Sewn By Us, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Love Laugh Quilt and Our World Tuesday.



26 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how unique your cabin in the woods - did you make up the design or is it from the book? We have rabbits here too but see them more in the early spring when the little ones arrive. I have the bird feeder out and the birds are all over the place enjoying the seed on these cold days. I looked at our library a couple weeks ago at the quilt books and they didn't really have any I wanted and several on the shelf were ones I donated!

Raewyn said...

Your real life photo and your applique are both lovely picturesque scenes. I can imagine the trails left by the rabbits across the snow - sounds like definitely a good time to track their activities! Your coins are looking good with the jelly roll strips sewn in.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your Cabin in the Woods applique piece, Jocelyn! I know you'll enjoy working on it this week. The Christmas Coins are looking great - I like how you put two columns of coins together and then the jelly roll strip. Have a lovely Sunday!

Quilting Babcia said...

Christmas Coins - a perfect idea for maybe using up the gazillion Christmas fabric bits that just don't seem to know how to disappear! Thanks for the idea!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects. I love Cheri, and am on the Facebook group too!

Robin said...

Little cabin in the woods is wonderful. It will be a special memory when you are finished. I clicked on the link to Cheri's group (I'm already a member) and found a little SAL for January that I think I'm going to make. Cheri is sorely missed. Your coin quilt is very festive - I'm still in the Christmas mood.

MargaretP said...

Good luck with the Dresden, hope you enjoy the creative process of putting it all together and seeing a result that makes you happy. Don't forget how helpful photos are with this process....have fun !

Julierose said...

Love that cabin in the woods--so neat!! Are you needleturning or raw edging? Hugs, Julierose

Brian's Home Blog said...

That table runner sure is pretty! Oh that snow, if we ever had that much snow everything would be closed...forever!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your home looks all cozy, nestled in among the trees. I love the little Cottontail rabbits and enjoy them on the yard. SO cute.

Lynn said...

Your cabin looks lovely, as do your coins. I'm also working on hearts, (though also not a huge fan). I'm making a library bag for a 4 year old niece - hope it works out.

Kim said...

Oh my, your little home nestled in the gorgeous wintry landscape is sublime. Your heart project sounds fun. Loving those sweet fabric trees and cabin. It oozes heart warming whimsy.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Can't wait to see your cabin in the woods and dresdens! Those coins are enchanting, such pretty festive colors! We had a bunny last winter and this winter who is apparently living in our backyard. Last year He/she lived under the hydrangea bush. Many times Scout doesn't realize the bunny is in the yard which I prefer! Have a great day!

Linda said...

Oh how I love that Christmas coin quilt. I agree with you about the ease of using jelly rolls, yet for some odd reason I tend to hoard and not use them. ThriftBooks has that book for $4.69, and you get free shipping if you buy $10 worth of books, or you can pay .99 per book for shipping. I've bought from them since 2016 and the books are always top quality. Here's the link if you're interested: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/301-country-christmas-quilt-blocks_mary-jo-hiney_cheri-saffiote/289371/#isbn=0806982756&idiq=3917300

Jennie in GA said...

We have the cottontails here in GA. They are in our garden feasting more than we’d like at times. We just have to remember to plant for them and us...lol. Love your projects. I enjoy stitching Christmas projects year round.

Denise :) said...

I love, love the little forest around the cabin! The book of Christmas blocks looks amazing! :)

Debbie said...

the book looks wonderful!! i am not a reader but i love books like that!! i quilted, many years ago when my boys were little, i enjoyed it. yours are beautiful...i thought jelly rolls were something you ate??

we have cottontail bunnies, many families under our deck!!!

Stewart M said...

If you have snow like that envy year, I can see why you make quilts!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne (where we dont get snow!)

Kathryn T said...

Oh what a gorgeous picture of your house in the snow. It looks to me, sitting here in the summer and no snow ever winters just amazing. I love looking through quilting books and choosing possible ideas from it. Kathryn Quilts

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, that table runner is a beauty. I am a huge lover of all things houses and have been meaning to make my own something - runner, quilt. I just haven't done so yet. I can't wait to see how this all comes together - it will look great appliquéd. Your Christmas Coins make me smile - there are loads of pretty fabrics in use there. That book does look intriguing. I assume it is out-of-print. It's a catch-22 for sure - you can't buy it because it's an active book, but if you don't check it out it will become inactive and someone else could potentially buy it at a sale. You could take pictures of your favorite pages and store them on your phone. I am certain that Cheri would be delighted to have inspired you so much! Thanks for linking up. I am looking forward to your heart project next week. ~smile~ Roseanne

Jenny said...

Oh, look at all that snow! Something we dont have where I live. It's meant to be summer here, but the wind is rather chilly today.
I do love your Christmas Coins, such a great idea to use up all those small bits and bobs.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - how nice to see a picture of your house - now I can picture you there, stitching away on another one of your amazing projects. I laughed at the story of the librarian - sometimes administrator types just get in their own way, don't they?

betty-NZ said...

How awesome to have such cute entertainment with the bunnies! We have English hares that aren't terribly cute :) I do admire those who make quilts--they have such talent and incredible patience, too.

Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

Robin said...

I looked on Amazon and they have used 301 Country Christmas Blocks book from numerous sellers ranging from $2.80 to $23.00. I ordered one of the hardback ones.
Also, my comments no longer come to my email so I'll answer your last comment here. From my post - Definitely a Squirrel
You said; "I adore this quilt, Robin. I also love your Cheddarback blocks. Beautiful fabric choices."
Thanks so much for the kind words. It always encourages me to hear someone else's opinion.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I agree that little bunnies are great entertainment, unless they're chomping down on your garden. Your house looks so cozy nestled in with the trees around.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful the winter landscape with you, do you even come out of your house with so much snow and cold! Great, so pretty your quilt!!!
Greetings Elke