Thursday 6 January 2022

Wordle, Gail's Jewel Box, Wooliest Pin Cushion, New CAL, A Show to Watch

 I have a bunch of stuff to share in this post.  

Have you heard of Wordle?  My sister alerted me to this new word game that folks have gone wild for. One puzzle is released each day and I won't talk about the details here; if interested you can read them yourself. The creator does not want to make money off it so it isn't an app. I think. Doesn't take long to do; I like it. If you try it, let us know what you think.

One puzzle a day found here at Power Language UK

Talented Gail, the Cozy Quilter, shared her Jewel Box quilt with me in an email. And gave me permission to share it with you. Isn't this a beauty! In the blues...there's something about blues together that I love. Thanks, Gail!

Another Christmas gift all the way from Bonavista, Newfoundland, the area where my Dad was born and raised.  This one, a very special pin cushion made from  wool of the sheep in the area. 
That grandmother always spun her own wool and knit many, many sweaters, mittens and socks. The cardigans, mittens and socks were always a part of the Christmas box from them along with new pyjamas each year.  And I have a strong memory of the very heavy bulky hand knit sweaters my grandfather wore under his oilskins fishing. 

My Yuletide Blanket didn't get finished for the Yuletide but pert near. I'm on #64 of the 78 rounds and where I could do three or four rounds an evening not that long ago, now I can just do one.  It is keeping my legs warm as I crochet. 
Lucy At Attic 24 is just releasing her newest CAL, the Harbour Blanket.
  These are the colours and I'm intrigued by the pattern (which is free and there is no sign up necessary) she's using in this one to create little waves. The wool bundle is available at Wool Warehouse.
I did get this table runner finished, the one using Kathy Schmitz's Snowmen embroidery patterns. But I have to work at getting a photo that shows true colours. Slate blues are a challenge. And clearly I need to learn how to depict true colours in my images in general, especially during winter months. I think this center block is a Turkey Track pattern. 

We watched this series, Irvine West's Crime on Britbox and enjoyed it. So often the detectives have emotional turmoil themselves, poor home lives, etc...it's almost a cliche. Well this fellow was so distraught throughout...the character was  in relentless anguish it seemed. I felt sorry for the actor who had to play the role. When casting, the first question they must have asked was Can you cry?
I told you how the cardinals come to the feeders at dusk. I took this photo of the female one evening. I do hope the sunflower seeds are providing them a little nourishment to make it through our cold nights. 
Those nights have suddenly become much colder averaging -20C, but it is January in Canada just outside the second coldest capital city in the world. So Bundle Up time!

25 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your yuletide blanket is coming along so nicely - I have barely touched mine in recent weeks while working on my binding stitch. I hadn't seen her new pattern. I have not heard of Wordle. My sister and I used to play word with friends all the time and then it suddenly quit working on my devices without knowing a reason why I have not been able to fix it even deleting and reinstalling.
Happy New Year.

Nancy J said...

The pin cushion, what a delight to have that, I have memories of my Gran knitting socks, my singlets when I was small, and a little bag on a crochet cord with a camphor block in, I had it round my neck to keep away any cold .Wordle, I could become addicted, 6 tries and I only managed to get 2 letters right!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I liked the Wordle game, and got today's word after going through all the tries! I wonder if you can sign up for an email notice when each day's word is available. Gail's Jewel Box quilt is beautiful in the blues and different lights! I love your Yuletide Blanket. So nice to have a project that will keep you warm as you add rounds to it!

cityquilter grace said...

yes blue and white is always stunning....nice newsy post, love your afghan...thanks for stopping by my blog, always appreciate visitors!

Jenny said...

Lovely post Jocelyn. Your crochet blanket is coming along well, and the new pattern you want to make is so pretty. I can't crochet but enjoy doing a little knitting, usually in the evenings or on long car journeys. Cardinals are such pretty birds, with that splash of gorgeous red in the winter. Is it just the males who are this colour?

Jenn Jilks said...

It's been brutally cold from time-to-time. I'm not sure the critters like it much. It warms, and they think spring is coming!

I hear you about the cop show. I want a good plot and mystery, not grief and emotional backstories.

Your needle work is beautiful. I so admire it. Happy New Year!

Jackie said...

That blanket looks similar to a knitted pattern I have used. It is sometimes called Old Shale and other times Feather and Fan. It looks slightly different as it is crochet and not knit. Love the colours in it.

Really cold here in Southeast Saskatchewan. I woke up this morning to -33C with windchills making it feel -47C. I so wanted to stay tucked up nice and cozy, but had to go to my mammogram appointment. I was very happy to get back home.

God bless.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Thanks so much for sharing Wordle with us. How fun! I will try to remember to give this a try each day. I'm hooked on 7 Little Words that you shared last year (or maybe even longer ago than that). Oh!! That sheep pin cushion is just adorable. What a fun gift. For your photo of your pretty slate blue table runner, try putting something solid white on the edge of the piece. I used a pair of socks, just on a portion of the border. That seems to make the camera focus on getting the white correct and the other colors come into focus, too. It's worked for me. Again, your cardinal picture just captures my heart. That little seed hanging out of her mouth is just sweet. Bundle up is right! It is definitely January. Happy Thursday! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

QuiltGranma said...

Darling pincushion! Covet!

Brian's Home Blog said...

You always have so many pretty things. That pin cushion sure is adorable. That word game sure doesn't look easy, I'll have to go back and look at it again!

PaintedThread said...

I just found out about Wordle and have been trying it out. Not bad! I love that sheep pin cushion! Adorable. Pretty cardinal. Stay warm!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love how your Yuletide blanket is coming along! Wondering if the same look could be achieved using quilting fabric in the old Housetops pattern. Definitely something that would be fun to attempt using Christmas fabrics. We've been sad to note that our winter cardinal families have not shown up at any of the feeders, last year we had at least five pair that hung around until early summer. We miss them!

Out To Pasture said...

Your Yuletide blanket is both lovely and warm looking. Well done! Thanks for that tip on Wordle. Just tried it and love it! Also play 7 Little Words each morning, thanks to that tip from you as well. Couldn't settle into Brit Box's 'Crime' because of the emotional main character. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Yvonne said...

Beautiful crochet, pincushions and quiltblocks. It looks like there is never a dull moment and you keep yourself busy. Watching a good detective is something we love to do too, perfect on a cold winter night.

Miriam said...

I had never heard of Wordle but had to give it a go. I guessed the word on the third try!! Beginner’s luck, but I think I am hooked now.
I love the blue and white Jewel Box quilt. I made one in multicoloured jewel tones but the softness of this one is wonderful.
You make me want to get out my yarn and crochet hooks too!

Anonymous said...

Your little sheep pin cushion is so cute! Love it!!
I just took a look at Wordle…. I tried the one for today, and I am hooked, for sure! It took a few minutes for it all to sink into my brain, but I solved it in four tries…and this will become a daily challenge for me! Thanks so much for sharing.
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love that sheep pin cushion and your crochet blanket looks great! Love the Kathy Schmitz project! Think I have that pattern, SOMEWHERE! Hugs

piecefulwendy said...

I'm starting to see Wordle popping up all over, but I haven't tried it yet. That Harbor pattern is pretty! For the photo, also try putting it by a window with natural light (NW direction if you have one), and take it in the morning when the light is brighter. Anyway, your tablerunner is pretty with those happy little snowmen! Have you watched The Detectorists? We thoroughly enjoyed it for all its quirkiness.

Robin said...

Your Yuletide blanket is wonderful. I enjoyed the memories of your grandmother's gifts. My grandmother lived in California and we always got a box of wrapped gifts to put under the tree. She gave me my Terri Lee doll one year. Do you remember that doll from the 50's? The little sheep pin cushion is adorable. My mother is the one that knitted sweaters. The were heavy and warm. I still have two of them

Linda said...

Thank you for the Wordle link - I've not heard of it and immediately played it! I really like your crochet blanket. Lucy has some nice CALs. I still have a bundle of yarn purchased from Wool Warehouse back in 2016! I had intended to make a crochet blanket and somehow never can seem to get going on at night while watching TV - and that would be the perfect time to do it! We tend to watch a lot of British detective shows and really like them.
Stay warm Jocelyn!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A ton of hours have gone into that blanket - good for you! Love the Harbour Blanket pattern - it looks so pretty and a little different pattern too.
(btw - if I disappear for awhile, don't be concerned - my computer is coughing and I suspect it might be considering dying altogether)

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for sharing Wordle. I don't think I can take it any colder than it gets here in KY. Lately we have had a single digit F morning. Today was 19F. You look like you'll be very warm with the blanket

Scrapatches said...

I am loving the yarn and colors! Thanks for the link. I have recently discovered Wordle from a friend on FB and am now two for two and looking forward to tomorrow's game. Thank you so much for linking up and your kind words on my blog ... :) Pat

Kate said...

You've gotten off to a good start in 2022. Love that pin cushion, it's so cute! Happy stitching this week.

dq said...

I don't know where to begin. The boat on the afghan makes the photo so cute!!! Creative!

The Snowman Embroidery is so cute and quaint!!

I think it sweet of you to share stories about the grandma who spun her own wool and the grandpa's clothing.