Thursday 7 April 2022

Canadian Spring, A Gardener's Alphabet, Links, Free Patterns, Inspiring Quilts

Crabapple Hill Designs A Garden's Alphabet BOM, pink crayon tinted and embroidered. Blocks all done; assembly required. 😄

 I really don't mind winter; in fact there are many aspects of it that I love. But there is something magical about spring and the way the earth awakens as it were after a long sleep. And all the little creatures along with it. It's all happening right now outside my wooden house in the middle of our eleven acres. I'm taking the time to note it and be amazed at what a miracle a Canadian Spring truly is.

And I'm trying to feel these things below I wrote on this photo with thanks to so many of you who left me such encouraging words in the comments 0n my last post. Sometimes we think we are unique and alone with feeling a certain way which adds to the sadness. It helps to know others are feeling similarly so thank you for sharing your experience and also what helps you to feel better. It is hard to believe that even at my age, I'm still a work in progress. 
This pair is back; I think it might be the same two from years past.
Enough about that. On to other noteworthy things. This is interesting. I'm finally reading James' book and enjoying it very much. I'm finding out that I've been practising a lot of these things most of my life. I do wish I could have had this book when very young. There is a great lesson in it all.
I'm still loving the cross stitching of this piece, The Scarlett House, Floral Motif Sampler. I've made it across the top and down the side a little. It is almost 20 inches across and I'm nearing the half way mark. 

Talented and generous Sarah at A Little Happy Place offers a free pattern and tutorial for a very cute mini quilt for spring. Be sure to check out her bank of lovely patterns with tutorials that include applique and embroidery with the quilting. I especially love when designers do that!

I want to also share this post at Magpie's Mumblings. Mary Anne is stitching a quilt from a photo of an old barn. Her perfect rendering is quite remarkable!

Also Gladi at this post shared her photos of quilts at the New England Museum including several amazing quilts from Barb Vedder of the Fun With Barb blog. So much inspiration; I am in awe which goes without saying. 

Here is just one of Barb's amazing works. I love the idea of using motifs that are personally meaningful to create a quilt.

We finished the last season of Shameless and while some of the scenes are over the top and a bit much, let's just say, we enjoyed following this remarkably scrappy Chicago family and friends right to the end. 

Here is sweet Ned with a stick he very happily recovered from the bottom of the ice free pond. I had to sneak it from him because he could seriously stab someone with that and since I was the only one with him, I mean me. LOL

That's my little roundup for this Thursday. Check out Not Afraid of Color and the gang there who share thankful, likeable things too. Also sharing with Brian's Home BlogIt's A Small Town LifeAlycia QuiltsCreations Art WhateverKathy's QuiltsSo ScrappySmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Life in the Scrapatch

27 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes that stick does look dangerous! I haven't tried the show you mention - not sure why just haven't gotten to it. Your cross stitch is looking wonderful!

Jenny said...

Ned is such a handsome boy, you must love him to bits! I love your gorgeous floral sampler, it's coming along so well. As for TV, havent seen that programme here. But I'm enjoying watching The Great British Sewing Bee.

Sandee said...

Love the ducks. It's that time of year.

You're most talented.

I've not seen this show either. I'll have to check it out.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

grammajudyb said...

Beautiful sampler. I keep looking at cross stitch charts and then say to myself,"where would you put it?" And who is going to want it after I'm gone? So I don't purchase it.

I have a friend who did the Gardener's Alphabet also. It took her several years. I wonder if she ever completed it. I'll ask her when she returns home from Phoenix.

Ned sure does enjoy his walks, as do most dogs! We haven't seen Shameless. I'll have to look for it!

Brian's Home Blog said...

The cross stitch sure is pretty and so is that cute duck couple. You sure found a cool stick Ned! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You can tell that stick is very important to Ned - he worked so hard to get it! Love that Gardener's Alphabet - wow! It's very tempting. And your cross-stitch design is coming right along, too. I also love seeing the earth come back to life after winter - little tints of green are more apparent every day!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Your cross-stitch is just beautiful!!! It's fun to see all the birds migrating back here now, too.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love your beautiful cross-stitch!!! It's fun to see all the birds migrating back this year again!!!

PaintedThread said...

Winter ended before I got enough snow for my taste, but I am so ready for spring! I liked all your links to those quilts. Good stuff! We watched a bit of the British version of Shameless. Ned looks quite ferocious with that stick! LOL

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Yeah I can relate to the sticks. I have to constantly watch Bobbin because she likes to break them apart. Love your cross stitch. Oh the Easter piece is so cute. Were you tempted to drop everything and make it? So you made the Crab Apple Hill piece? Can't wait to see it. I have not been brave enough to tackle the shading, and embroidery, but I do have a piece prepped. LOL

Linda said...

I didn't realize you lived on 11 acres! So you can take walks without having to leave your property. Is most of it wooded?
That photo of Neddy is precious. I'm looking forward to when our Boomer puppy is his size and a bit calmer than he is now. He loves to grab bark mulch and munch on it, then upchuck it later, so what fun it is to watch his every move outside!

MissPat said...

Two of my quilty friends have finished that Crabapple Hill Alphabet quilt and it is gorgeous. Enjoy those fleeting signs of spring. I think it is the best time of year and yet we often get so busy we don't savor every moment.
Pat

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great photo of the mallards. I haven't noticed any here yet...at least not in the river, but there have been some doing a fly past.
Your sampler is growing fast, although maybe not fast enough to suit you. I would like working on something like that because there's not much time to get bored with one motif before moving onto a fresh one.
AND....thank you for the link and your kind words!

Scrapatches said...

The Crabapple Hill Garden Alphabet Sampler is lovely! As is the cross stitch sampler. Your work is always so inspiring. I love your photos. We have been having a dry spring locally and our recent rains are welcome. Your mallard photo is gorgeous. It looks so woodsy. I hope to take a walk through the woods somewhere soon and look for vernal ponds, one of my favorite spring habitats.
Thank you for sharing and brightening my day ... :) Pat

piecefulwendy said...

Such a pretty ducks gracing your pond. You shared so many nice things in this post. I've heard of that book, but not read it, so I'll have to take a closer look. Neddy is a handsome fellow.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The duck picture is beautiful. Love your cross stitch! Looks like Ned made a fun discovery! I like Spring when we actually have one. Most of the time we zoom right into Summer!

Jackie said...

You live in such a lovely area. Yes that stick does look dangerous. Don't like the pointed end at all.

Your cross stitch is coming along nicely.

God bless.

PWhite said...

I’m currently working on the Crabapple Hill Alphabet too! I’ll be following along as you put your’s together!

Maggie said...

Spring is definitely here, the bulbs are popping up and I can not wait to see what is flowering where. All the bulbs got dug up and mixed into a surprise mystery to be revealed… I love the process of prepping the Crabapplehill blocks, then when it comes to the stitch part, I slow down and take forever to do them, have no idea why. The winter blues leave when the days get longer and we get more sunshine. All your projects looks amazing and going for walks in nature are so relaxing, even our cat is having cabin fever. Animals need outdoors just as much as we do, they are great companions for going on adventures.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love counted crossstitch but have not got one in the works right now. Yours is so pretty! Ned looks like a good companion…the stick does look dangerous though!
I love watching the changes each day as spring emerges. Happy stitching!

Deb said...

The Gardener's Alphabet piece is lovely I have debated for a few years if I wanted to d this and yours has convinced me. The floral sampler is stunning. and Ned and his stick are so sweet.

Karrin Hurd said...

That stick does look dangerous. Thanks for the links to the quilt museum and the lovely picture of the ducks. Your cross stitch is lovely. Thanks for another delightful visit! Hope you have a great week!

CathieJ said...

I love your floral sampler. The colors are magnificent. Too bad Ned found such a dangerous looking stick. Enjoy your week!

Kim said...

I wish I could sleep all through winter and magically awaken in spring. =) Your A Garden's Alphabet BOM is going to be the most gorgeous quilt! Love all those spring-like happy colours. It sings Spring to me. Your embroidery on the floral sampler is exquisite. As for Ned and his love of sticks...goodness that one does look lethal.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Thanks for sharing all those links...I'll be checking them out. Haven't read your book, so I guess I'll head over to Amazon to check it out. I love your Flora Motif Sampler.....so pretty. Our dog, Bob, does the same thing...picks a stick that is way to big to throw. Have an awesome day!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ned is VERY proud ;-)
Your cross stitch in beautiful!!

Michelle said...

Lots of sticks here too, with my Golden Retriever. This morning he had a live mouse in his mouth. Love the cross stitch work. Thanks for linking up.