Tuesday 12 July 2022

Basket Case Embroidery, Panama Pyramids in Pinks, Garden Blooms, The Chucklings- Episode 2

A bouquet from the farm garden

 Summer is moving right along. I've gotten a good swim in most days so far and it is doing my body good. A lot of the achiness has left me and I'm sleeping better at night. I think that being in the water is therapeutic in many ways.  I swim with more energy when I listen to music. Since I don't have a fancy phone, I have my music downloaded on a device called a Synyn MP3 player that I wear attached to a small floppy hat. I got all the music I needed on YouTube.

 I discovered this during that process. That after about 2005, I know very little of the musicians and groups or the popular songs. Most are unrecognizable to me. I do know some of the biggies like Adele and Ed Sheeran but, by and large, not many more. So my music is quite dated like myself. :D  Here is Perfect,  the song of Ed's that I listen to.

I've continued with some EPP stitching several nights this week.  Have this many more of the Panama Pyramids made - this time in pinks. Such relaxing hand work. Stitching enough of these for a quilt is on my for now Forever To Do List. Luckily I love the whole process which I'm getting to move along a little faster. 
I've also finished the blanket stitch embroidery around all the flowers in the Basket Case hanging
and made a little sandwich of it ready for quilting. I used my kitchen island to do that. To do this weekend -get a start on that hand quilting. It will be simple just around the baskets and blocks I think.
This straw chair was one we found at a thrift store and quite cheap as it is in so so condition. I bought it because I thought it would look nice by our front door during the summer. The little bird house is a model of the home Hubby lived in during his teen years when they emigrated to Ottawa from England. 

        

Our veranda needs repainting. So many things need attention and our summer To Do list is lengthy. Sigh

The Spirea bushes are in bloom. There are many of these bushes around the property, all pinks. The bees like them.

Thank you for the warnings about groundhogs! So far they've not chewed any of the planted things like the flowers or hostas. They seem to prefer the wild stuff. I've found two holes, one under the pool house and another in a window well at the back of the house. I now picture a sophisticated underground tunnel system under the back garden.  We do have a humane trap that just might need to be used to move one or two. 

Meanwhile, there is lots of space for them to spread out...our 11 acres back on 20 untamed ones behind us and 8 to the left.  And the folks on the other side have very deep overgrown back yards, for the most part so thick we can't see their houses except for a glimpse of one in the winter when the leaves are down. 

Ned was despondent for a day when Petey went back home. Dogs really do have feelings. Luckily for him, Daughter brings Abbey and Petey over late afternoon just about every day for a ball play on the side lawn. Now Ned is back to his old self and enjoying a daily episode of the The Chucklings.

There is entertainment value in them at least.  He silently watches till he tires and sinks to the floor. :D
Stay safe and enjoy all the sweet little things you can jam into your day.

21 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I guess all these summer jobs that seem to need doing are part of the joys of home ownership. And speaking of homes, I love the little version on your porch.
Watching baby 'chucks' is fun but I think it would be wise to rehome them when they get old enough to do a lot of damage.

Juliana said...

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love vase of flowers. I don't know what has been digging holes in my yard - I hadn't seen this type before this year - I know it isn't moles as there are no tunnels I'm thinking it might be gopher's they keep digging in one particular area of the yard that is quite dry - I might need to see about putting out a trap of some sort if I can figure out what it is. I love listening to music but I rarely pay attention to the names of the people singing and tend to listen to older stuff as well.

Brian's Home Blog said...

We don't know any of the tunes from today and that is just fine, I'll stick to the good tunes. The Pink Panama Pyramids are sure pretty. Ned, sorry you are missing your play pal.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I love your Basket Quilt. I'm working on one now, it's pink and I wasn't sure
what to do with them...Your center basket fits perfectly...I'll have find one I
like to center my baskets. Your Triangle trees is looking good. Love all those
pretty colors. And your straw chair looks right at home on your porch. I love
your pretty flowers. Have a great day!

Jenny said...

I'm admiring your tablecloth with the sunflower fabrics, and I'm sure I had several of those fabrics years ago, wonder where they went? Poor Neddy, missing his friend.

PaintedThread said...

Chucks are cute, but I've been happy my local ones have stayed away from my gardens for the most part. Music - I'm with you. Most of the more recent stuff I know has all been from classes at the Y (and I haven't been to one of them in over 3 years!). Love your triangles and your fussy flowers.

Nancy said...

Basket Case looks wonderful. The straw chair looks so inviting. How wonderful your husband has a miniature version of his childhood home. I love it!

audrey said...

Oh I do love how your pyramid blocks are shaping up! The colors are so very sweet.:)

Jackie said...

Both your quilts are coming along very nicely. Such neat sewing.

Our list of outdoor jobs seem to get longer by the day and with the heat almost impossible to do fulling during the day. We get done what we can early in the morning or after supper.

God bless.

Linda said...

I love your sunflower tablecloth. Your porch looks so inviting. I can't wait for our puppy to sit silently then sink to the floor. He has way too much energy for us.
Thank you for joining us at To Do Tuesday!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your flower bouquet is beautiful, and so are the spirea blooms! Those Panama Pyramids make a neat design, and I love seeing your basket quilt, too. There are so many different ways to make basket blocks! I agree, the summer to-do list is long. We have several more items on ours - including painting the porch!

Sandee said...

Love your flowers. So beautiful.

You're ever so talented too.

Aw on the pups. They love to watch the critters.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday and rest of the week. ♥

Grams Jean said...

Love the little bird house replicating the one from his youth. A treasure. Yes, home ownership does get expensive and tiresome. We have a chore of weeding to do after our very wet spring but now it is so hot out!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your flowers are so pretty and great progress on all yourprojects!

Nann said...

I really like the basket case in progress! We have pink (Japanese) spirea, too. The bees like it. Good to hear that the swimming is both therapeutic and enjoyable.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Poor Ned! He is having withdrawal from his friends! My favorite project you are working is the Basket Quilt. Your did some beautiful Broidery Purse! Glad the swimming is making you feel better. We are really in the hot summer - 116 the other day. May not be that hot today, but next week it will be in the 110+ temps.

So outside walking is out!!!! Indoor bike! Cabin Fever tends to be around here!

We love County and Western music, and I love the classical. The C&W has changed so much we do not call it that anymore. I have no idea who the singers are now so don't feel alone.

Hugs

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

love the idea of a forever to do list!!! And those Panama Pyramids are beautiful!!!
I am with you - every time I look around outside I see another thing to do.... At least we won't get bored right?

grammajudyb said...

Enjoyed your post a lot ! I did not know Spirea came in pink! I think only white one grow in my area. I’m going to have to do some research! Good you are getting some swim time. All movement is good! I like to quote? “A body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest”!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Oh Ned. . .so sorry you are missing your play buddy! It is good to read that you will have other play dates though! I too love those Pink Pyramids. Wow! such a lot of work; but, I too understand why you like making them as I have a paper piecing project that I'm enjoying too!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn I love your stitch projects! Glad you are enjoying your swimming. If the ground squirrels settle in you can’t get rid of them! They have 3 litters in a year so multiply quickly. If you plant a few castor bean plants they will migrate to another spot further away though. 😉