Thursday 7 July 2022

Three Free Patterns, Hand Embroidery, Summer Baskets, Poppy Love, Great Banana Muffins

The Icelandic Poppies were in bloom. They bring very striking colour to the garden but my little complaint is they do not stay long. This particular orange is so glowing, you can't see details on the petals. If there is such a thing as electric colour this would be it.

The centers are equally wonderful. I have a small bank of reds too but they are not as interesting as these.

I bought a huge bag of bananas for $1 at Walmart  There were nineteen bananas and I ate most of them. But I also made a batch of banana muffins using up 6 of the smaller ones that were very ripe. 
                                    
I added walnuts, a little ground flaxseed, a few raisins and a little coconut to mine. Turned out really good. Recipe is here at Sally's Baking Addiction which never lets me down. Oh yes, I added a few pieces of dark chocolate to Hubby's as he loves that stuff.  Can you spot the really happy muffin?

My very old Summer Baskets is up on the wall in the back corridor. I haven't had it up for a couple of years and all the basket talk reminded me about it.  My inspiration at the time was from Podunk Pretties, a site I can no longer find. If you know of it, please let me know. I had corresponded with the writer of that blog at the time and she had also kindly commented on my hanging. 

The last several nights, I've enjoyed some hand stitching around all the fussy cut flowers on my Basket Case. Using a simple blanket stitch. These won't blow away, I can tell you. So fun to see these fabrics up close. Reminds me of seeing the poppy up close. 

Thursday's Three Free

 I have Carolyn of Quarter-Inch Capers to thank for this free pattern idea. Pot Holders and Oven Mitts.  Very cute featuring Down on the Farm fabric. 

From the Robert Kaufman site...Almost 2000 free patterns in the the Free Pattern section the last time I checked. Whew!

Like baskets and tulips, I have a thing for butterflies. When I saw this design, I knew I would chase it down to find the source. That took a few clicks but worth it to find the free pattern and templates tucked away on the web. McCall's Beautiful Vintage Butterfly Quilt  1936- I like the idea that this would have been something my grandmothers would have come across too in a newspaper or magazine. What a lovely summertime project!                               
I stitched this little fellow a few years ago. 
He was part of a free (at the time) monthly SAL called Joyful World offered by the very generous Maja, the talented lady behind The Snowflower Diaries.
She is reoffering the below pattern from 2013 for this very sweet design, Truly, Madly, Deeply . It's free at that link. 

Scroll through her posts to find other free minis to download. All so cute. Thank you Maja!
And thank you to you too, readers and blogging community, for the inspiration, the kind words that keep me buoyed up, and the sharing we get to do through comments and emails.

25 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have not made muffins in a while I need to think about that. good deal on those bananas. I love the poppies but have not had luck trying to grow different varieties here

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love poppies too and yes, they just don't last long enough. I love your basket quilt, so lovely! I just tried my link to Podunk Pretties and a notice popped up that you need to be invited to read her blog. I have no idea how to get invited. I always enjoyed her posts. Happy stitching!

Nancy J said...

Jocelyn, I buy very soft bananas when they are on a reduced price, and make banana loaves. I bake them in tinfoil lined pans, then when cool, slice and replace in the pan with baking paper and freeze. If I'm not ready to bake, take the banana skin off and squash into a plastic bag and freeze for later, when I thaw them, drain off the liquid first .Love the muffin idea. And so good to have another quilt on the wall, quite summery with those fabrics.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've forgotten how interesting the centers of poppies are! Your banana muffin recipe sounds delicious, Jocelyn - I'll have to save that recipe and try it. Such a pretty basket quilt, too. It's always fun to look at the free patterns you find - thanks for sharing them!

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, those Poppies sure are pretty. I'll bet the banana muffins were good, I could probably eat a half dozen, yum!

PaintedThread said...

Poppies! I planted some but they never sprouted. Yours are lovely. Banana and chocolate go great together! Love the fussy-cut flowers.

piecefulwendy said...

Your poppies look like Kaffe fabric! So pretty! Your basket quilt is lovely, too! That muffin on the bottom right has a little smiley face! Haha!

gladiquilts said...

Poppies, baskets, muffins, and butterflies - thank you for this post to start my day!🙂

Jenn Jilks said...

Your needle work is amazing!
Our eavestrough dudes murdered my poppies. Oh well. They'll come back next year, and we won't have rain damage.
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, I remember Podunk Pretties. I typed it into Safari and found an Etsy shop, an Instagram mention, a Facebook mention and a mention on Pinterest. I went to the Blogspot and it was by invitation only. I think many bloggers get tired of blog world and go to Instagram as a faster and easier place to put their work. I love blogs and still read so many of them. Sometimes, ones you love just disappear without explanation. One I really miss is Aunt Polly’s Porch. She was a retired teacher and blogged about once a month and what she made and photos of her home were wonderful. Then she vanished.

I’ll try the banana muffins. I like them just past green, so it is hard to keep them for eating long. I follow Sally’s blog too. Your poppies are beautiful. I so admire what you can grow in your cooler zone. We’re in the 100s every day and plants are stressed and tired! It’s a Texas summer!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt!!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful flowers. I remember the basket quilt on the wall. I have a book that had similar baskets - if I run across it I will let you know. Hugs another great post!

Jackie said...

I saw those banana's in my Walmart and silly me did not pick them up. I could have frozen them and used them later on.... I will remember to do so next time.

Love the free patterns and have bookmarked them. Thank you for sharing.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as usual.

Linda said...

Your poppies are gorgeous. I've had no luck growing them, but I remember as a child in northern Oklahoma living next to a woman who grew them. My friends and I used to wait until the blooms dried and had little pods with black seeds in them and used them as "pepper shakers" for our mud pies - lol! Sometimes the lady would come out of her house and chase us away. We thought she was a cranky old woman, but now I feel badly about it! Those muffins look delish.

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn your poppies are gorgeous this year. They were always one of my favourites to plant. After reading your post I need to go bake some muffins since yours sounded so tempting. Beautiful stitcheries and quilty goodness as usual. Thank you for sharing.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely poppies. I love your basket quilt, it is gorgeous! Thanks so much for the links. I remember reading Podunk Pretties a long time ago.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such pretty buttonhole stitching on your fabric flowers! And I adore that little fox and crow stitchery! I'm going to pop over to the designers site - thanks for sharing the link.

Kim said...

The basket quilt displayed on your wall is just lovely. You must smile every time you walk past it. LOVE the flowers you are slowly blanket stitching around. Such a joyous basket of flowers. This is going to be such a beautiful quilt. Cute little fox, too.

Angie in SoCal said...

Such gorgeous poppies! Love that they have blue and purple pollen. Is that muffin on the right your smiley one. Looks like it to me. Podunk Pretties is now private. I don't have her email to ask if I can join. Those are so cute baskets.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a delightful post and so much eye candy. Love your basket quilt and thank you for sharing where to find the free patterns. Your Snowflower Diaries monthly is looking fabulous.

cspoonquilt said...

The color is truly amazing in those poppies I would describe them as 'electric' but 'glowing' works too! Your Basket quilt is very sweet, it's nice to change things up! And the Butterflies look like a wonderful Summer project!! take care, cw

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and I’m so glad I did! I’ve tried to find the pattern for your summer baskets quilt, but no luck so far. Love it! And the photos of the poppies are glorious❣️

Pat Jacobs said...

Love your summer baskets quilt. I’ve looked online, but no luck yet. I’ve just discovered your blog and so glad I did. Those poppies are jaw dropping 🤗❣️

Rose said...

I don't know what happened to Podunk Pretties....she had been putting out some youtube videos, and suddenly, they just all disappeared. I next went to her blog, and like the reader above said, can no longer access it.

I am enjoying looking through your blog again...I am not sure when or if I will be blogging again.