Thursday 10 November 2022

Three Free Patterns, Sewing Tiny Trees and Poppies, Recipes Too


Our laneway in view there and one of several mother trees on the property. To the right-the overgrown area was a rock garden originally. A few plants flower there from time to time and I would love to revive it.
I mentioned I tried growing herbs in a planter this summer. This is one of the culprits caught red handed or red pawed in this case. Look at him happily munching that plant. I recognize him as a "regular" because of the notch in his ear. 
Recently I made us one of those breakfast for supper meals. I used Turkey Bacon. We both like it but I can imagine some thinking if I'm going to have bacon, I'm going to have bacon and sometimes I feel like that too.  
LeeAnna, Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was do we like apple cider?  I didn't grow up with this and I still don't drink apple cider as such but I do keep a large container of apple cider vinegar on hand at all times. I believe it is good for you.  I shared Jenny of Elefantz's recipe for salad dressing before which also can be used in many recipes.
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)
I keep this in the fridge all the time because I eat spinach salads quite often. Btw, Jenny's link there will take you to her recipe page where she shares her delicious dishes, often simple but with a high yum factor, as she calls it. 
 So do you use apple cider?


We are watching the new (to us) seasons of an old favourite of ours...Endeavour.  Enjoying too Alan Cumming's cheeky introductions. Shaun Evans makes a perfect Morse I think. We are catching this on PBS.

                      

Since Tuesday, my stitching time was spent with the Tiny foundation pieced Trees.  On a whim, I got out my container and took stock. Like the Panama Pyramids, I want to end this project too by the new year and work with whatever I've got finished. I have 52 trees finished and another 50 in two stages of stitching. A hundred or so of these will be enough. I think. What a great way to use up scraps!


Thursday's Three Free

 When I shared a new favourite post in the side bar last time, I realized I'd forgotten about Bev's Flamingo Toes blog (reminders are good!) and her generous Free Pattern page. Lots of lovely goodies to see there. Like this one.

Since we have our Remembrance Day tomorrow, it's appropriate to share a Poppy Block like this one to be found HERE at Patchwork Square.

And from the wonderful Teresa Down Under comes this great YouTube video sharing how to very quickly stitch a 12 inch Poppy Block. 

Annie's Christmas Book is available for free with a $10 purchase from their site. Over 50 Christmas pretty patterns and detailed instructions for each.  
Annie's Catalog,  PDF's of the catalogs are on that site. 

And in keeping with the Christmas stitching, I'm sharing two SAL's from kind Melissa at Pinker n' Pumpkin who continues to share her talents with us. The first is cross stitching Christmas ornaments and is called  Barnyard Christmas. Christmas Cow wearing a wreath is so cute.

The second is embroidering snowmen going about their day to day happenings called Flurry and Flakes. Also very cute and a wonderful way to welcome Christmas and winter. 
Hope you have a great weekend. 
Also great to join so many linky parties where the inspiration abounds like here at So ScrappyQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Kathy's Quilts.



32 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think hot apple cider is one of those things you either like or you don't - I keep a box on hand of the simple kind that you just empty into hot water - not true apple cider in the least but now and then it is nice instead of coffee. I have not watched that show but have watched some like it. your autumn looks really colorful right now. I like a big breakfast now and then but I don't cook them often

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, I'm behind on your lovely posts, and I've missed them! Your trees are so pretty, and although that little fella helped himself to your herbs, he sure is cute! (I like your header photo with the squirrel, too!) You have some fun projects happening, and some fun Christmas ones coming up. That snowman is so cute!

Jeanna said...

We use apple cider vinegar in many things but I've never made a salad dressing with it. Sounds great, thanks for sharing the recipe. Those trees truly are a great stash-busting project. What do you plan to make with them?

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! That squirrel looks so guilty - caught literally red handed. We use turkey bacon, too. Sometimes though - turkey bacon is just not the same as bacon bacon. HAHA! Cute freebies that you've shared. I'm going to have to call you an enabler, too - giving us ideas for great drop-everything-and-make-it projects. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Jackie said...

I sometimes use apple cider as a hot drink when I have a bit of a cold.

Thanks for sharing all those free patterns. The poppy block looks very interesting and easy to accomplish.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - lots of good stuff. The leaves are pretty. That's a great photo of the squirrel. Breakfast for dinner looks delicious. Wow - look at all those scrappy trees!

Shelley said...

I LOVE Apple cider! Cold or hot, doesn't matter. We grew up on it and buy jugs of it this time of year and freeze it down.

Lin said...

Love the autumn picture and how great to have a regular squirrel you can recognise!
We live in cider country here in Somerset - I am curious as to why you call it apple cider because cider is only made from apples here? Anyway there are several shops around on cider farms and I always pick up a bottle of vinegar for salad dressings. I make mine with honey (maple syrup is expensive here) and wholegrain mustard.
Turkey bacon is a new one on me - maybe I should check my supermarket. xx

Linda said...

Your tiny trees are wonderful! Love the views you show from time to time of your property, so peaceful and inviting. Mom and Daddy used to eat turkey bacon in the 1970s - it was pretty good! Gosh that maple dressing sounds good. For some reason I've not made anything but buttermilk dressing - I need to branch out! Have a wonderful weekend Jocelyn. :)

Kathleen C said...

I follow your blog, along with others, in Old Reader so I don't miss any posts. For a long time I've wanted to say that I enjoy your posts very much, the links you share and the comments you make about various things--like watching Endeavor. That's a good reminder for me to catch up on the episodes I missed. I love the squirrel embroidery on the top of your blog and hope to do more embroidery in the future. Your trees remind me of today's post at annhoodhandmade.com, made in a different style; both styles are appealing.
Thank you for sharing so much with your readers.

JanineMarie said...

Such beautiful trees--and I like the fabric ones, too. I haven't had apple cider for a long time, but it is delicious with donuts. I do have apple cider vinegar that I use for some things, but I use balsamic vinegar in the salad recipe you shared. It's my favorite dressing during the winter in a salad with apples, dried cranberries and toasted pumpkin seeds.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your trees! That's a great scrap project. I've used turkey bacon before but I always going back to pork. I'm not a fan of apple cider. It always makes me feel sick. The doughnuts are fine though!

Nancy said...

It looks like you're making good progress on your trees, Jocelyn. I'm looking forward to seeing more of blocks as you progress. You call them tiny.... How little are they?
You have a beautiful view of your laneway.
My daughter makes a similar salad dressing but uses balsamic vinegar instead. I think it's very tasty.

Miaismine said...

What a lovely header photo! Beautiful stitching! Your laneway is so pretty! Look at those fall leaves! I guess your “regular” can only put up his hands and say, “Guilty as charged!” 😊
Your breakfast for supper looks delish! Yes, I agree, if I’m going to have bacon, I’m going to have bacon!
Thank you for sharing your salad dressing recipe!
Yes! I so agree with finishing some long term projects by the beginning of the year! Cute table runner pattern as well as the other free patterns you shared!
Take good care!





Michele McLaughlin said...

As always, thanks for the inspiration and patterns! I love Endeavour but our family's been addicted to Morse, Inspector Lewis, etc. I really love Detective Thursday on the Endeavour. Did you know that John Thaw's daughter is on Endeavour? John played Morse way back when. His daughter plays the reporter on the show. Anyway...I love the Christmas tree blocks and bookmarked a pattern to do a tree scrap quilt soon. Can't wait to see yours!
We use apple cider vinegar a lot. It was kind of a staple in Nana's kitchen. I like Malt vinegar on my fries or with fish and chips. Have a great day and thanks as always for the inspiration!!! Hugs!

Deb A said...

Em asked me to buy some apple cider and she made a pumpkin cider warm drink that was pretty yummy! I usually buy some this time of year for the kids but only have a token glass. Apple juice and cider made me gag as a kid for some reason but I do love whole apples! I always have apple cider vinegar in the pantry and it gets used a lot. I did not know there was another frosty sew along! I'll have to get out last years and get a start on them and add the new ones. Thanks. Enjoy your weekend!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Your trees look so pretty - love the Autum season with those leaf colors. You will have a multitude of Xmas Trees for a quilt! Thx for sharing the links. Hugs

Angie said...

Jocelyn - you have such a knack for finding adorable patterns - I think you have me stocked for the next couple of decades. I like hot apple cider in the winter, especially with a little brandy in it!

dq said...

Super cute snowman embroidery!
Your scrappy trees will make a great quilt!

Chantal said...

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful links. I got lost there for a moment or half an hour, lol. Good luck with the challenge of the little trees. Looking forward to seeing more of that one. Enjoy! ;^)
P.S. I never had apple cider. I don't like apple juice so I don't dare try the cider.

Angela said...

Those tree blocks are great. I can't imagine doing 100 of them. The snowman is absolutely adorable!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thanks as always for the free pattern links, I especially like the poppies. I've enjoyed Endeavor even more than the old Inspector Morse series. Looking forward to Magpie Murders tonight. Good luck with the 100 trees!

Linda said...

Thanks for the links to the free patterns, I was looking for some new ones to do, especially winter ones.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

We have a wonderful orchard just east of town that presses their own cider on site and it is AMAZING. Hot or cold, in donuts and quick breads YUMMMM. Yes, I'm a fan.

Thanks for the links and freebies

K Reeves said...

I love those tiny trees of yours! I need to get started on my own set of trees, using a whole bunch of strips gifted to me. The snowman block is so cute, I printed it off…I think it will make a cute pillow cover for the winter. If there’s more I think I will make a set for the living room sofa pillows! Your little thief looks quite pleased with himself!

Kim said...

How kind of you to grow herbs for that sweet little fellow. =) I must say your laneway is a picture; so, so lovely in autumnal colour. My husband and I love the Endeavour series. We are sad that it will be coming to an end after series nine. Goodness, all those little trees are fabulous. I cannot imagine all the stitching that has gone into these.

Sarah said...

Beautiful autumn colour. Shame about your herbs, but lovely to see a red squirrel!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the fun freebies, Jocelyn!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like the idea of hot apple cider and the smell of it and then I taste it and think how wrong I was. I don't know why I don't care for it. On the other hand, we often have apple cider vinegar mixed in with our cranberry juice for breakfast because it's suppose to be a weight loss aid.
Fun to see your links!

Quilter Kathy said...

I would love to make those snowmen embroideries from Melisa!
Enjoy your slow stitching and squirrel watching today!

CathieJ said...

That salad dressing recipe looks delicious. I love a sweet dressing. I will have to try it. I am looking forward to seeing all those trees. Enjoy your stitching. Thanks for the freebie links.

jude's page said...

Love your scrappy tree blocks, so cute, and I do read Jenny's blog too. I also use apple cider vinegar with lemon juice and other powders every morning.