Thursday 26 January 2023

Free Patterns, Renewed Interest in an Old Project

It's all about the weather again here in south eastern Ontario. Weather does not know borders, LOL. It's a good thing I love the snow, with the caveat that I don't have to drive in it. 

It started snowing yesterday mid day and is still snowing. Looking out my kitchen window this morning. Everything swaddled in a fresh blanket of white.
Ned and I ventured out for our early morning walk and didn't get too far. We wound up walking just the laneway and even then the going was tough.  I know it's hard for some to understand how invigorating walking in winter air is. But it always makes me feel great. Bundled up, it is not cold at all. The cool air clears my sinuses, my mind and science says it boosts my immune system too which I believe. It also makes me feel grateful I can walk like this and then have a warm house to return to.

We are finally watching this series, The Morning Show, and enjoying it very much. For some reason, I am always surprised by how well Jennifer Anniston can act.

Thank you for all the encouraging words about the recent quilting projects I've shared. Yes, the yellow is working out for the Panama Pyramids.  And I'm feeling a renewed interest in the Wheel Within a Wheel project. Have the sections all sorted again and will continue the hand stitching parts tonight. 

Our prompt this week from LeeAnna, Not Afraid of Color, is what is our favourite colour/colours. I like the idea of thinking about colours now with my outside world white, white, white. However, it is hard for me to pin down a colour I adore as such. Having a colourful flower garden and also flowering bushes has added so much enjoyment to my life in general. And now that I am white haired, I've been wearing brighter colours, red, for instance, which used to be my least favourite next to purple and orange. I used to wear camel and grey which totally wash me out out now. 
But in keeping with red, look at how joyous the Sumac become when the summer season starts drawing to a close. Who could not feel brighter in spirit when looking at this. 
What about you? Do you favour one colour over another? Have your colour choices in clothes changed like mine over the years?

I keep saying I want to make placemats. Perhaps with tea cups. I was totally smitten with Anna-Jantina and her beautiful cups. I love everything she sews and you will see why if you look her up. She is on Instagram and I had sincerely wished that she kept her blog going. 

Thursday's Three Free

So I'm looking at free patterns for cups and there are so many. Here is one from the kind folks at Bear Creek Quilting.
And another freebie from  the Quilting Daily site...I've downloaded this template.
Sewing cups/mugs would be fun. 
 From Moda Fabrics comes this unique design called "Latitude". I think batiks were use to make this one but the free pattern includes a colouring sheet to work out your own pretty palette.


For my slow stitching friends...do check out Mary Corbet's Needle n Thread site if you haven't already. I've been a fan ever since I got the internet years back. I've followed her stitching lessons, copied patterns and bought patterns and books through her site as well. Mary has a wonderful bank of free patterns and links to patterns for both embroidery and cross stitch. Besides loads of tutorials. 

I need to draw this post to a close. Thanks yet again for the lovely comments, emails, suggestions, etc. I read them all and take them to heart. They mean the world to me!

Love to share this post with the weekly linky parties at Alycia QuiltsKathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSo ScrappyQuilting Patchwork AppliqueSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Wendy's Quilts and More.




27 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I used to wear so much gray and after my hair went gray/white I realized I really had to change that or I looked - well totally Gray!
I like outside walks too in the winter air where as my husband doesn't want to leave the house. I went outside this morning to clear the porch off of snow and he finally came outside and cleaned off the car and a little around it - I'm off to the store!

MissPat said...

Carole at From my Carolina Home did a Tea Cups Quilt Along a few years ago and the posts are still on her blog. Looks like you got a lot more snow than we did.
Pat

Jenny said...

Snowed in again! I guess living in a snowy country you would always have great supplies in your pantry, cupboards and freezer. No popping down the road to pick up a loaf of bread in the midst of a winter storm.

Jackie said...

We got snow today, quite heavy at times almost a blizzard what with the wind blowing things around. It seems to have stopped for a bit, but will start up again very soon. Don't know if this storm will reach you to add to your accumulation.

I am glad you have picked up the Wheel Within a Wheel project once again.

God bless.

Susie H said...

I truly believe that my morning walks with Gracie -- no matter the weather -- hot, cold, rainy, windy -- keep me healthy. Keep walking, Jocelyn! And keep your hubby and Ned walking too! Ha!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's a ton of snow, WOW! It is pretty though, especially when you don't have to drive in it.

LA Paylor said...

we have lots of snow right now too. Ned! he's a big boy now. Once my lab jumped in pool when we were visiting my sister at Christmas! Jumped in cold water, she was a swimming fool! I wear different colors now too, and saw a video on lipstick colors for gray haired people... I think it depends on their skin tone though.
LeeAnna

PaintedThread said...

The snow is pretty! Good luck with your wheels! That teacup is cute.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's interesting that a low in Texas would affect your weather so much farther north! I, too, like to walk in the winter - as long as the walks are cleared. I can't convince Mike to come along lately, though. Fun to look through your Three Free, as always. A quilt full of rea cups would be a fun project!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, every time I read one of your blogs, I am taken to a site or a book or a show or a project I’ve never seen. THis time I was directed to the magic of Anna Jantina’s work……what gorgeous quilts! I do like blogs so much better than Instagram, but if that is the only place to see her work, I will go there! Such inspiration. She reminds me of Supergoof and Helen Phillips……both show such beautiful hand quilted and pieced quilts. I’ve now subscribed to Mary Corbet’s site. And I love your snow photos. Here in Texas we rarely get snow, and that’s okay by me. But I love seeing photos of places that do!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Your Sumac is beautiful, Jocelyn.....definitely autumn colours for me; we don't have as much fall colour here as you do, which is why I loved our October/November visits to Ontario and B.C.

Shelley said...

Sumac Red ❤ Red has always been my favourite color!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn you have much more snow than I do here in my spot in BC. What a winter wonderland you have. I think we are going back in to the deep freeze again so I’m not sure how much walking I’ll be doing with the ice under a resh slim layer of snow. 😉 Carol

Yvonne said...

I like many different colors but many times I choose blue or green somehow.
The snow looks amazing, I hope to spend some time in Norhtern America one day in winter and enjoy many inches of snow around me. Love it!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My favourite colour is blue, followed by purple and cool reds. I had my colours 'done' years ago and discovered that I looked best in jewel tones so I pretty much stick to those. Can't wear white any longer though - makes me look too washed out with my grey hair...and I know I look dreadful in any shade of brown.
Fun links - thank you! And Mary Corbet is a regular read for me.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your wheel within a wheel, inspiring!

Linda said...

I feel the same the cold - I love cold air because it feels so good in my throat when I breathe, and I feel invigorated by it. And yes, if you are properly clothed, you aren't cold! My husband hates the cold but refuses to dress properly for it, hence he freezes and complains (eye roll). ;) Sometimes I am sad about folks who use Instagram more than their blog - I miss reading their blogs. I am going to have a haircut and consultation on Monday with my stylist about "gray blending". I usually have my hair highlighted blonde, but the upkeep on this is getting too expensive!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your snow is so pretty! I am with you - I love a good trip outdoors and then coming in to warm up!!! You have some pretty ideas there!!!

Karrin Hurd said...

A lot of snow, I don't envy you. We don't get snow here, but further up the hill they do. With my bad knee it would probably freeze up in your weather. We have had some freezing at night though. My favorite colors are blue and turquoise. Thanks for the great links!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Mary Corbet is so talented and shares so much! My favorite color is red. . .it worked with my dark brown hair and now works with my white hair. . .I don't wear white much because. . .well, you guessed it. . .too much white!!!

Kim said...

Invigorated by the cold air?? Not I. I need the hot summer sun to invigorate my old bones. =) But, then I suppose if I grew up in a freezing, artic-like environment, then I would dance in the snow. I must say, though, your wintry landscape view from your window is gorgeous. I feel as you do re being able to wear different colours as we age. As for my favourite colour; blue it is. Your Wheel in a Wheel quilt is looking lovely. Such lovely fabrics spinning around.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I come alive in cooler weather. My senses, my imagination, and my motivation wake up. I sometimes wonder if it’s because I was born in late Fall.

Astrid said...

Snow IS pretty, but I can't say I miss it! The Wheel in the Wheel looks amazing, glad you're working on it again. Autumn is my favorite season, but we don't have autumn colors on the trees here, except for a few during the cold season. I love the autumn colors, but my favorite color is blue. Tea themed placemats sounds great, cute patterns.

CathieJ said...

I love winter walks on a snowy day. We haven't had any snow here in my part of New York. I like that wheel within a wheel block. I too would be hard pressed to state a favorite color. I usually say purple or blue, but I truly like to use all colors. I like the idea of using some of those teacup motifs to make placemats.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wheel Within a Wheel project is looking good! I love colors, not just one, but all of them! My dressing room is quite colorful ;)
Thank you for sharing all these colors, and linking up!

piecefulwendy said...

It has certainly been a year for snow for some of us, but there is something so beautiful about pristine, new fallen snow. I'm sure just that short walk with Neddy was refreshing. I don't go out walking in the winter like I used to; I should try it again. Driving in winter weather, on the other hand, is not enjoyable in the least.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I share your joy of walking/being outside in winter. I was downhill skiing with a friend today, and it was glorious with six inches of fresh, fluffy powder. When we would pause for a rest, the world was resting quietly under the blanket of white. It doesn't get much better than that!