Sunday 15 January 2023

New Year Stuff- Gifts, Projects, Calm Yourself Goal

I've been busy doing everything but blogging. Out attempting walks with the camera in spite of all kinds of weather, baking muffins, embroidering, reading, listening to podcasts while putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It has been a peaceful, satisfying and relaxing welcome to a new year. Along the way I found two garbage bags of "stuff" to give to the Value Village.  So a little cleanout felt good too.

I decided to cook a turkey last week just so we could have a turkey dinner here at the wooden house and enjoy lots of leftovers too. A turkey is like the food that keeps on giving.

After the main meal, then leftovers, we enjoyed hot turkey sandwiches with air fryer fries. Finally came the soup. I've made a resolve to use the Air Fryer more from now on as I see folks cooking just about anything in them. I came across this Taste of Home post... 88 Air Fryer Recipes You Need to Try and was really surprised at the array of foods that can be cooked in an air fryer. No need of a frying pan!

I was happy to capture a scarlet Cardinal using our new Red Cardinal Feeder, as it is called. It is the best feeder I've found. It was windy and swaying so not the best of photos. 

And I'm happy to see the female joining the male most days.

I'm reading one of my Christmas gifts, this book from my sister. Each bird matches the 12 Days of Christmas song. For instance, the woodpecker is the 12 Drummers Drumming. This is my second Stephen Moss book and I do enjoy his writing.
I ordered a new set of ice cleats for my boots- from Amazon. Just cheap ones which work fine as I'm not mountain climbing. Though I'm second guessing my choice lately. There has been massive melting and refreezing with overnight temperature drops.  On occasion I've had to cut our early morning walks short, just too icy underfoot. Ned very unhappy but I really can't risk it. I noticed the pine needles show the ice more than fir needles as seen in the photo above. 
I've put together a bunch more of the foundation pieced scrappy Tiny Trees. Fun machine stitching...words I don't often string together. Thought I'd done them all then found a cache of ten or more "tops" so had to complete those too. I haven't a clue what size this will finish at but my goal for this week is to have these all sewn together. 
I've chosen this pretty leafy looking Robin Pickins fabric for part of the borders. 
I finished the Redwork stitchery. Just Snowman's buttons to add.
I've been crocheting too so the stitching fingers have been busy. Besides shovelling snow which I've done often since I last talked to you!

Better late than never to speak of New Year's Resolutions- I do sort of set myself goals (other than the fitness ones) from time to time.  The main one this year is I'm going to strive for calm. There are always things to keep us awake at night; for me it is always worrying about family. I'm a solutions kind of thinker and want to help naturally especially when the downs of life occur to them. But sometimes situations are like this. Thank you Joanne (who has no blog) for sending this one to me. Good one, right?

Credited to Ivan Nuru
Calming that tiny thread of anxiety that runs through me when thinking about things has always been a challenge, in particular, a middle of the night challenge for me it seems. I'm exploring homeopathic solutions while open to suggestions. I always enjoy what you have to say.
Anyway, 2023 is off and, not only running, galloping. Enjoy the ride!
See you later this week with some great free patterns.

Sharing with Kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts, Songbird DesignsDays Filled With JoyQuilt Schmilt and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.





 


33 comments :

The Cozy Quilter said...

That looks like an interesting book. Love seeing the birds at the feeders this time of year. Cute snowman stitchery too. Calm could be the word for me too. Happy new year.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the ice is pretty through dangerous of course. I hope the cleats work out ok for your boots. We have had little winter weather so far I'm sure we will sooner or later - I am one that doesn't have an air fryer I hope yours works out well for you

Libby in TN said...

Happy New Year. Keep calm and party on! When you come up with the solution for night-time pondering. My ambition this year is to divest myself of at least one thing every day.

Jenny said...

Hi Jocelyn, so nice to catch up with you again. I cant imagine having to have ice cleats on boots just to walk outside in the winter! Goodness, that seems extreme winter weather to me. Shall I remind you that we are holidaying in lovely warm summer weather and our worries are sun screen and insect repellant?
Love your little trees. Have a great week.

Janice said...

Your week sounds very enjoyable. Such a contrast between your weather and ours. I love the little cardinals. Have fun with your FPP trees. They will become a very cheerful forest.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great to hear from you again. We haven't had freezing for a couple of weeks but lots and lots of rain, which we desperately need. Your snowman project is lovely! Happy stitching!

Susie H said...

Love your Red Cardinal Feeder. They do love their sunflowers seeds, don't they? Your Tree Quilt looks like a fun quilt and the snowman embroidery is sweet. Glad you took it easy on yourself when it came to the icy walk. Sorry, Ned, but this was definitely the right decision. Welcome back!

Jackie said...

Your tree quilt is growing by leaps and bounds.

Today was the first day I didn't take a walk with my cleats on. We had freezing rain at some point last night and everything is sheer ice. Staying inside was my best choice.

God bless.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the quilt under the photo of the 12 birds of Christmas book. Your hand quilting is so straight and even, beautiful stitching. Is the quilt an older project? I don't recall seeing it before.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Leftover turkey is great on sandwiches and we often have a turkey pot pie too, yum. The tiny trees are terrific!

PaintedThread said...

Cardinals are so pretty! I like your choice for border fabric. Striving for calm is a good thing! Happy new year.

Shelley said...

Missed you Jocelyn! Glad to see you back and chipper as ever. I had worried you might of been ill. I think the female cardinal is much more beautiful and she doesn't get enough credit. It's a lovely photo you have captured of her ❤ I,too, am the middle of the night worrier/find a solution person and lose many hours of sleep to it. No solution that I have found🙄

Jennifer said...

Oh my....that looks cold! We are having a run of days with temps in the mid 30s C, I will be glad when it cools down. Love that pretty green border fabric, it will compliment your trees beautifully.

Lin said...

Turkey soup - yum! Love those birds, so colourful. What do you feed them on - I can just see that they are black seeds of some sort. xx

Jocelyn said...

Thanks so much for the Taste of Home link. I was gifted with an Air Fryer for Christmas and wasn't very sure about recipes. The link is great!

gladiquilts said...

Nice to read your post while I sip on my coffee this morning! Your Tiny Trees are looking great - I love them! I’m facing a challenging situation in my extended family and your quote from Joanne was absolutely perfect for me so thank you so much for including it. For me, stitching, walking in nature, playing music, reading, and socializing with friends, along with acceptance of my inability to change the situation, are enough to calm the anxiety and stress.

Michele McLaughlin said...

It's nice to see you back Jocelyn! I love the header on your blog! That sounds like some challenging weather there. Glad you are staying safe! I love that calm is your goal for the new year. Wishing you a year of peace and contentment! Hugs!

Linda said...

Your start to the new year sounds marvelous. I love the tiny trees AND that sweet piece in your header - is that embroidery? You've got me thinking about a turkey now . . .

MissPat said...

I hope your little blog break was restorative. I managed to get out to walk 4 days last week, then it turned too cold for me. Hopefully I can get out again this week. Thanks for the link for the air fryer recipes. I bought a toaster oven, air fryer combo this fall and so far have only toasted bagels with it.
Pat

Lorraine said...

Cardinals are so beautiful but especially so in the winter I think. Great pictures of them. I will be adding that book to my wish list. Happy New Year.

Deb said...

Your tree quilt is looking great. The Birds book looks interesting and how lucky to have caught a photo of the cardinal, I have the hardest time catching them at the feeder.

Ivani said...

Hi Jocelyn, Love your cardinal photos. That book sounds to be very interesting. You made a forest of acrappy tiny trees, looking forward to seeing all those rows stitched together. Your redwork embroidery is so cute.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

hope your break renewed your spirit! love your forest trees and cardinals!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely, busy time you've had.
I love the cardinals!

Kyle said...

Lovely to get caught up on what you've been up to. Winter time activities are ones that can bring a sense of calm. As long as you're not having to travel too far with the ice and snow.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I enjoy looking at winter photos so much.. especially while we are sweltering here Down Under!! That looks like a really interesting book... good job on your tidying and donating... and I just adore your redwork! Hope you're having a lovely week and thank you for joining in on Monday This and That! xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful birds and love the book. Always love a meal that gives you left overs. Sounds like you have made the most of your relaxation. I understand the esrly morning restless mind xx

Carol Andrews said...

Hi Jocelynand Happy New Year. It sounds as if your weather is as crazy weird as ours here in BC! It’s so icy I dare not let DH out and I’m extra careful when I need to go out. I love your little tress and so enjoy your bird photos. That book looks like a good one. The meme your friend sent is one I need to frame. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. Hope your week has been going well! 🤗Carol

Kris said...

Seeing your tree quilt reminded me I started something like that a few, okay many years ago in fpp and I never finished more than a few trees. I love how yours is so cheery!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great cardinal photos! They're around here because I can hear them but we rarely see them.
Your Tiny Trees are turning out great - looking forward to seeing the finished project (no pressure though!).
I know what you mean about mid night worrying - it's what I do too. Haven't found an antidote though.

Judy Hansen said...

Jocelyn,
Great blog post! I am going to roast a turkey this week, as you said - it’s the meal that keeps on giving, Yum! Love all your pictures. Thanks for joining Desgn Wall Mondays, you are appreciated. Stay warm! Hugs, Judy

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Jocelyn, turkey is definitely the food that keeps on giving!! I'm thinking turkey and dumplings! YUM!! Those cardinals are beautiful. I love seeing the female cardinals, but mostly see the males. It's a real treat when I see a female! Your foundation pieced trees are really cute! The redwork stitchery is very pretty too! I hope you had a good week! My website is having difficulties, but hopefully my Monday Musings post will be up later today or tomorrow! Thanks for linking up last week!

Susan said...

I DO like that meme! The snow people are lovely, and I must go back and find that pattern. I also like that green fabric. I have a small trees quilt that has been half quilted for several years, and I want to finish it soon. Seeing yours encourages me!