Friday 30 December 2022

Free Patterns, After the Snowstorm, Here's to Better Everything

After the storm...

We are all dug out and have made several runs over the trails with the ski do so they are walkable again. Sun is shining and water dripping from the eaves. Yes it's warming up and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. Crazy weather.  When the storm was winding down,  I took this shot of Ned sitting on his favourite new snowbank...from this spot he can see round most of the back yard. 
I've been working on my photos, organizing them and deleting some too. It is very time consuming. I've also printed out several of the projects I'd downloaded and saved, freeing up more space on this laptop. That has also proven time consuming. 
I'm reading (as opposed to listening to) a book written by Margaret Verble -this one, Maud's Line, which was a true finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. I think I borrowed it years ago from the library.  
 I ordered my own copy from Amazon for $10. I'm quite taken with the writing and the story line is also, as they say, compelling. Maud is an excellent character. Amazing to think this was Margaret's first novel; Maud must have been in her head for a long time.

Thursday's Three Free

There is never a shortage of inspiration on the net thanks to all the designers generously sharing their talents with us.
Windham Fabrics has an astounding 45 pages of free quilt patterns. I got lost around page 12; there were so many I wanted to note. So beware when you visit! Here are just two of those that caught my eye. This one is called Good Morning Sunshine by Heidi Pridemore ...LINK

and how about this one called Terrace by Stacey Day ...LINK

From the Folks at APQS comes this post featuring their 10 Most Downloaded Quilt Patterns of 2022.  This one did not make that list but I like it. Free pattern Blocked In

 I couldn't resist sharing this project from Jenny of Elefantz, pattern  Found Here. I think I've shared this in the past.  When I read these words I think of all the women who are constantly doing the thousand little things that come with managing a home and family. Many of you are blogging and I get to read what you are doing to make life easier or better for those you love. I wonder was Mother Teresa thinking of women when she wrote this down.  Jennifer made it into a small cushion. 

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was what would we like to try, learn, do, visit, etc. in the New Year. 
And in line with that I'm going to take the time to review and possibly reset and renew some of my hobbies, especially with an eye to how I use my time. Time seems to flee from me sometimes with not much to show for it. I also feel like I've let things build up around me and I would like to be less cluttered physically and mentally too. Any resolutions in your mind?

To help with the reassessing and decluttering, I will be enjoying a short blogging break. Please do meet me back here early in the New Year. I am gathering still tons more stuff to share with you.

The Not So Innocents Abroad


Hope your New Year's celebration will be everything you want it to be.  Let's hope for better in 2023, better everything. 💓

22 comments :

Libby in TN said...

Enjoy your time off. Blessings for the New Year!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that block in a block quilt is really attractive! I have made several in that style but not that particular pattern. Your snow is so pretty and even with rain do you think it will melt it all? Sometimes I just can't look at all the free patterns there are just too many that distract me from projects already in the works.

Brian's Home Blog said...

The snow is pretty up there but I'm glad the storm has moved on out. Ned looks quite Royal on his snowbank Throne! Happy New Year from all of us!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the photo of Ned sitting on the snowbank, our dog loves rolling in the fresh snow and scooping it up in his mouth. I really need to make a priority of decluttering my computer especially of photos that don't make the cut to blog fame, lol. The Good Morning Sunshine pattern looks like fun, thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

MissPat said...

I think we've all been glad to see the end of the year for the last three years. May 2023 bring all of use better, happier days. Enjoy your time off. Happy New Year.
Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Neat quilt blocks. I love your bowl fillers in your header. Ned knows the best place.

Lin said...

Happy New Year Jocelyn. Enjoy your break and your planning. xx

PaintedThread said...

Digging through and organizing memories, whether physical or electronic, takes so much time! So many patterns! Happy New Year! Hoping for a better year for everyone, too.

Laura said...

Reassessing and decluttering...also two items that I want to do. Time is precious after all! Enjoy your break from blogging! Happy New Year! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I hope Ned is fully recuperate and back to exploring and protecting your property! It's beautiful with all the snow and Ned looks quite satisfied with the view there. I love that Good Morning Sunshine design, and also the Jenny stitchery. Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your photo organizing - that is a big job - and Happy New Year, Jocelyn!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy New Year Jocelyn! That photo of Ned is adorable! This weather is crazy here too. It was suggested that it could be as high as 60 F here this week. Thanks for the book suggestion, I'm going to see if my library has it. As always thanks for the free pattern suggestions! Wishing you the best and happiest new year! Hugs!

Yvonne said...

Looks like you had a lot of snow. It looks so pretty but it must be difficult too to get through.
Wish you a happy, healthy and creative 2023!

Carol in Texas said...

I love your snow pictures Jocelyn. You are one of my very favorite bloggers,no only for what you say and share, but also because we live in such different parts of the continent and I find your weather and landscape lovely and interesting. Take a good time off as you need, but I’ll be looking forward to your first entry in 2023. How quickly the years go now!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are thawing out and I am sure Ned is really happy about that! I need to work on pictures and documents and you are correct, it takes time to organize anything. Have a great week and thx for the links! That takes time too.

Jackie said...

Happy New Year. I am beginning to feel a bit more human and hopefully back to being busy working on projects.

Thanks for the link to the cute cross stitch pattern.

God bless.

LA Paylor said...

just do what seems fun to you, you're retired! Just because you can't commit to everything at once, you can have fun with one thing at a time then move to the next. Fun. The real goal is to experience and enjoy, right? I just love the pic of Ned thru the window. Now as far as all the free patterns, you've just sent me on a journey sister
LeeAnna

Janice said...

Wishing you a Happy New Year. For us in warmer climates, the snow is so very pretty, although I’m sure you are over it very quickly. All the best with your plans for 2023 and thanks for the online links you provide.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A very Happy New Year to you and yours Jocelyn! Thank you for sharing your life, projects and wonderful links throughout the year.

Linda said...

I like Ned's view. I'm thinking of buying that Maud book. My Mom's middle name was Maude, and she was born in 1912 and lived in Oklahoma from the early 1930s, so that book appeals to me! Enjoy your blogging break. :)

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so behind in reading posts, I'm just seeing this. Happy New Year to you. I always enjoy your posts, and have missed them! Enjoy your break, but come back soon!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Happy New Year to you, Jocelyn! I hope all is going well. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

K Reeves said...

Wishing you all the best in the New Year, Jocelyn! Enjoy your blogging break!