Thursday 8 December 2022

Free Patterns, Friendship Stars Flimsie, Broken Glass Squares, Autumn Quakers

Both daughters and their partners went to New York City recently. They had a wonderful time. We got happily sidetracked from our usual routine while having  Robbie with the dogs, Abbey and Petey, here for five days. Robbie has a busy schedule counting all the hockey practices and games. And school of course, Grade 4 this year. Ned was completely in his glee to the point the first night he panted so much I was afraid he would have a heart attack! There was lots of ball playing to keep them busy. Petey, the most athletic of the three, does not have to work as hard to keep up. 
Yes, still no snow! Our kind Autumn has turned into a kind Winter-so far.
Robbie helped me decorate and this year we decided to put the Santas and Angels together on one big table for the first time ever. 
He saw his quilt blocks on the wall and liked them. One more row to sew on.
We decided together to make a border of the remaining bright fabric with black from a jelly roll I have. The black matches the small stars in the background material too which are hard to see in the photos. This hopefully will be ready for quilting this weekend.
Here is where my Autumn Quakers piece is now. See that circle on the right that I've stopped stitching. I've made a mistake there which isn't so bad but even with a ton of recounting, I can't find it. Grrr I just may have to take the whole motif out. SIGH

I have my tiny tree plugged into the computer again this year. It still works! Small things, Folks!
 LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was our favourite Christmas cookie.  I don't have a favourite as such but I will share one that always appeared at my Christmases while growing up. Mom always did a lot of baking for Christmas and one of the favourites was the pan of Broken Glass Squares she always made. These were jello based and she would use red and green jellos with a dream whip topping. I don't think there was any baking of a bottom involved in hers.To a kid, with the glowing red and green, they seemed like the perfect Christmas treat.  Now would a square count the same as a cookie?

 I couldn't find a recipe just like what Mom made though there are many variations of Cut Glass squares on the web. Leigh making her Grandma's Broken Glass dessert here has my mouth watering while watching it so I thought I'd share this instead of a recipe.  Do you have a cookie you just have to make each year?

Free Patterns, Links and Tutorials

Nancy at Liberty Primitives and Needlework gave us this free cross stitch pattern that can be found on her Dec. 1, 2014 post. 

Amy Smart, the lady behind Diary of a Quilter collated more than 30 of her favourite Christmas Quilts, with links to patterns for all in that post. 
Here is the link to the tutorial for this one called Patchwork Plaid Christmas.
She also has the tutorial for these very cute Flying Geese Mini Tree Ornaments found Here.

Sherri at A Quilting Life offers 11 Favorite Christmas Quilts to Make and Love, also with links to patterns and tutorials. This one, Takes the Cake, caught my eye because it looks like it could be made with EPP. 
Ingrid at her blog, Joe June and Mae  has a post called Best Quilted Christmas Stockings with a free stocking template and tutorial to make a hexie stocking.
So pretty!

I'm noticing more of the teal/aqua greens and pinks in Christmas sewing in recent years. It is a fresh looking combination. 
I hope you are all enjoying your stitching, Christmas planning and anything else that strikes your fancy this week and have something fun to look forward to on the weekend! 
Happily linking with Confessions of a Fabric AddictBrian's Home BlogAlycia QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkKathy's Quilts, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and Wendy's Quilts and More.

25 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always love looking at the variety of Christmas quilts that are showing online this time of year! Your mom's dessert sounds yummy, too. Glad you had some time with Robbie and the grand-dogs. The display of Santas and angels is lots of fun!

Annelein said...

Thanks for sharing all the freebies. They are so cute.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow you have a house full of dogs! The needlework reminds me of a piece my daughter did. Love the Xmas decorations in your house :)

loulee said...

It's looking a lot like Christmas at your place. Your quilt top is coming along very well.

grammajudyb said...

Oh! I enjoyed your post today! My mom had a broken glass dessert in her Christmas repertoire also! I’m going to try to find her recipe! Thanks for the memory.
And the links to the quilty goodness. I love the plaid one from Amy Smart! Her designs are so fun!
I had to smile watching the video you shared, I could listen to her talk all day long! Dixie Crystals is an unfamiliar brand to me, but powdered sugar, confectioners sugar, whatever brand shouldn’t matter.

Jenny said...

What a fun time your two must have enjoyed, with grandson and three dogs to keep you busy and entertained. No wonder Ned was in his element.
And wonderful too ghst your two daughters took a trip to New York, how far away is that from where you live? We had a week in New York some years ago, such an amazing vibrant city. It certainly is "the city which never sleeps". We were staying in hotel close by Times Square, busy, busy, busy!

Arish said...

Cuántas cosas maravillosas nos muestras. BESICOS.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm not so much a cookie baker at Christmas as a yeast bread baker. Today I made cinnamon rolls and yeast raised streusel coffeecake. The grandsons especially loved their afternoon school snack today. I have plenty of cinnamon rolls in the freezer now. Closer to Christmas I'll bake cranberry babka which we'll have with our Christmas breakfast meal. There are several other breads I want to bake too, the grandsons are always glad to be taste testers. Happy stitching!

Jackie said...

Robbie and you did an awesome job with the Santa's and the angels. I really like the way they are displayed on the table.

God bless.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with Robbie and the pups. I can just imagine how thrilled Ned was, too! Thanks for the links to the free patterns. I just love the Patchwork Plaid Christmas Quilt. It's nice that it uses 5" squares. That's an easy size to collect extras of that size. Have a great weekend! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Susie H said...

Once again thank you for all the links to freebies. So much fun to fill up our days this time of year. Sounds like everyone had a fun time while the young set enjoyed NYC. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

audrey said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all! So refreshing to have a change in routine once in awhile.:) Love the hexy stocking. It looks like an easy way to dip into that sort of project!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I bet the dogs loved being together! So many freebies! Thanks! I've never heard of those Broken Glass Squares. So festive! We might get snow Sunday night into Monday morning. Not much of a storm but the first snow is always fun! (Especially since I don't have to drive in it anymore!)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like your display of Santas and angels, just makes me smile and feel Christmasy. Thanks for that. Cheers!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Before I forget, I love your blog header photo! What fun to have Robbie for a visit before Christmas and in time to decorate the house! The Santas and Angles look great together! Love the happy dog photo too! The stars are nice, is Robbie going to get that? It's adorable! I never heard of the recipe but it's intriguing--and so pretty! As always, thanks for the free patterns. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

Linda said...

How fun to have the sweet doggies together and to have Robbie! The Santas and Angels look so happy together. Glad Robbie likes his quilt so far.
I had to zoom in on your motif before I could see anything. Maybe there are some extra stitches on the two right points of the star? Plus at the very top of the circle, on the second row left side there is only one space while there are two spaces on the others. Not sure if I am seeing it that well though. Anyway the whole thing looks so beautiful, I'd not notice. :D

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I feel your big SIGH on ripping to the cross stitch section!!!! UGH. Your Lab picture is so cute. Labs are the best breed ever to enjoy and have fun with. You star quilt is coming along. And those links that you provided for all the Christmas goodies to make are great! Have a great week-end. Hugs

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I remember my mother making something she called broken glass but I don't have a clue how she made it. As I recall it was different colours of jello cut into small squares and then all mixed together with something that might have been whipped cream (perhaps also 'thickened' with some more jello.
Loved seeing those three happy faces and also your Santa/angel collection.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh those dogs!! seems like everyone had a great time at your house!!!!
The Star quilt is going to be lovely!!!

piecefulwendy said...

You have a lab of every color in that photo, I think! I'll bet they had so much fun playing together - it's a great way to wear them out, right? Your Christmas decorating looks good, and I like the quilt blocks on the wall too! I made the mistake of picking up some magazines that have oodles of new (to me) Christmas cookies, so I might have to try one, unless a nap calls - haha!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have an amazing collection of Santas and angels, Joceyln. I bet they are a joy to bring out each year. I did not know you could plug a wee tree into the computer. How cute!! Thank you so much for the freebies. I see lots of inspiration and projects that I do need to check out. Have a great week.

Cloudia said...

I love the dogs and everything that you've shown us. Wishing you a delightful holiday season!

CathieJ said...

Your header photo made me smile. So many cheerful items. Robbie's quilt is looking great. I love Autumn Quaker. This seems to be stitching up quickly. Thanks for all the Christmas project links. I prefer the traditional pine green and red/maroon colors.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Jocelyn, dieser Kreuzstich ist so wunderschön und die Herbstfarben machen Lust sofort damit anzufangen. Da hast du mich sehr inspiriert. Linda hatte einen guten Tip. Ich denke die oberste Reihe des Rings ist ein Kreuz zu weit nach links gerutscht. Auch die angefangenen unteren beiden Zacken des Sterns gehen vom 3. goldenen Kreuz ab, während die übrigen Zacken vom 4.goldenen Kreuz abgehen. Luise

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for such a festive post, Jocelyn! It's good to see that you seem to be enjoying the holiday season. Looking forward to seeing that bright friendship star quilt completed.