Wednesday 21 December 2022

Reflections, Project Progress, Gift Wrapping Video, Link to 2023 QAL's List


It's that time of year and I too have been reviewing 2022 and noting what worked well for me and what didn't. I'm pleased with my fitness efforts and my focus on upper body strength for my year 71 to 72 continues. There is much more I could be doing with this if I was really serious but I'm not. The overall basic goal is to remain upright, able to walk where ever I want unassisted and for as long as I want without being tired. And of course, to have the strength in arms, hands and fingers to continue stitching, etc. which goes without saying.

I would like to be reading more. It seems audio books have become my main literary venue and I know exactly why. I can stitch away while listening, two things at once which feeds my multitasking soul! Perhaps I will try to change that up in the new year and make an effort to return to visiting the bigger libraries rather than using online downloads. 

I've been doing more deep tidying up and want it done before Christmas Eve.  That is my deadline. I'm wondering for the umpteenth time, why can't I keep the sewing room tidier on a regular basis. It stays tidy for what seems mere minutes. Then it looks like a fabric factory exploded leaving tiny bits floating all over the floor. If only I were more productive, it might be worth the continual mess! Good thing I can close the door on it. Unlike back at the farm where this was my set up...the doorless dining room. How many of you have had dining room sewing centers?

Have you heard of The Red Dress Embroidery Project?  This beautiful dress has been traveling the world and to date over 400 embroiderers in 49 countries have added their stitches to it. Here is the link if you would like to read more about this remarkable project and to find out where the dress will be next. Red Dress Embroidery

I have Robbie's quilt finished. There was just enough of the very colourful fabric to eke out a binding to edge the whole quilt. I'm stitching a little message on it presently. I'll show you when it is done later this week.

And Snowman has his straw broom.
Again this year, Frederique at this post Quilting Patchwork  & Applique has collated all the upcoming BOM's, QAL's, SAL's etc. for 2023.  It is quite a varied list! Thanks Frederique!
And I want to share Karen's video showing how to use up the stash/scraps in a different way- for gift wrapping. She's so clear in her instructions and has excellent sound on her videos. 
There are blizzard warnings to the far south of us making their way north we are told and aiming straight at us for Christmas Day. Perhaps it will all fizzle out by then. Meanwhile we are enjoying our very white Christmas season. 
Oh and thank you for all the well wishes for Ned. He is healing well, missing his play mates, but getting extra walks around the back yard to help compensate. 
Hope you are enjoying this special season whether it is summer or winter where you are!


22 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

merry Christmas to you and your family - I hope the winter storm will not interrupt your Christmas Day - here the storm is scheduled to arrive Thursday with a blast of subarctic air of which we normally do not have - so much of the States will be getting this storm - the freezing cold temperatures will be for about two days and then back to warm up by the new year.
I had not seen that embroidery dress how pretty

Lorraine said...

I want to say that I love your header. And I've loved seeing your quilt project come along. Enjoy your white Christmas and stay warm.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I had not heard of the Red Dress project - that is fascinating! Wouldn't it be something to see that in person?! I, too, seem to be very good at making a mess in the sewing room, but not as good at cleaning it up. That's just not as much fun as the creating! Your stitching looks enjoyable - I love the red snowman, and also that you're stitching a note on Robbie's quilt. We're expecting below zero temps tomorrow - it will be a good day to stay in and sew! Merry Christmas, Jocelyn!

Susie H said...

Very good goals. I ought to join you for the upper body strength. I'm also a morning walker so feel good about that too. Let's get our sewing spaces cleaned up and finish some of those UFOs!

Libby in TN said...

Merry Christmas, Jocelyn! I, too, am working on back strength, hence my PT visits.

Jenny said...

The Red Dress was a mystery to me too, but what a great idea. Traveling the world for all those years but still a secret from so many. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see it in person. Of course you finished Robbie's quilt in time how could you not, and with days to spare too.

Jennifer said...

Marry (white) Christmas to you and your fmily, Jocelyn!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Everything sure is pretty and festive! Merry Christmas from all of us!!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

My sewing room looks like something exploded in it right now. Maybe I will have time for clean up after Christmas. I have most of my secret sewing done. Time to get back to my UFO’s, the red dress is beautiful. What an interesting project. Merry Christmas. Stay warm

Ondrea said...

I found you! I have come to the conclusion that creative space can never remain tidy for very long. I have a big clean out each year but still manage to have stuff everywhere despite storing things in containers and taking stuff to the Op Shop. I hope the blizzard isn't too bad and that you keep safe. Your stitchery is rather cute and I am looking forward to seeing your message on the back of the quilt. Have a lovely safe Christmas with an abundance of love, joy and good health.

Deb A said...

I love having a space I can close the door on! My sewing room is never clean.... I have heard that is the sign of a creative person. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is important to have goals. We are proud of you!
I try to work out Monday - Friday. OF course, I still have wood to move.
I like your idea about cleaning by Christmas Eve. For me, though, it is my workbench. It is so dreary working in a dirty, cold garage, though!
Excellent needlework. I like the idea of listening and stitching. Good for you!

Linda said...

That red dress is gorgeous! Although I haven't shared my space with a dining room, I did share with the guest bedroom, so I had to keep it fairly neat. On the other hand, the bed came in handy for the kitties to sleep on. :D That Snowman is pretty, and Robbie's quilt peek looks so cute. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas with lots of goodies and warmth, and thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Laura said...

Wow! The red dress is fantastic! Thanks for sharing that!
Tidying up the sewing studio is my next goal...probably won't stay that way. :)
Merry Christmas!

Angela said...

Isn't that dress amazing! I don't know how you have found time to do some cleaning out!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I am looking forward to settling in with a bunch of books after Christmas. I really wish I could get onto audio books but I'm afraid I'm old school in that I seem to want a real honest-to-goodness book in my hands. I tried audio books when I was healing from the cataract surgery and was beyond annoyed with them. I'm a speed reader and audio books don't progress fast enough to suit me.
Merry Christmas to you and yours (and Ned, of course!). Be safe, be well - and stay warm!

LA Paylor said...

love the embroidery collaboration! I'll go check Fred's list of QAL's thanks, good boy Ned. We woke to 4" of snow, -11F and power out but it's back on now, yea! Hope it holds! Lovely stitching. If you kept the sewing room tidy it wouldn't be such a joy to see it cleaned up! lol
LeeAnna

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh yes, I had a dining room sewing area of sorts. I had to put up and take down a table every time I wanted to sew when I first started. I guess that kept me neat because it all had to be put away. That's a worthy goal - improving your upper body strength. I need to work on that as well. There are so many worthy things to focus on - we have to make individual choices on what to use our 24 hours a day. I think you do a fabulous job parsing out your 1440 minutes each day. Tiding up - I've been doing some of that, too!! Thanks for the link to the Red Dress Embroidery. WOW. Merry merry Christmas! Stay safe and warm. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

My last place had a dining room sewing area. :-) That red dress is crazy beautiful! What a festive binding. I like the fabric gift wrap. I was debating about doing that this year (Maybe after I finish the roll of paper I have). Stay safe if you're getting hit with that storm.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Merry Christmas dear Jocelyn! Yes I remember sewing in the dining room so well and what a pain it was as I haven't had an eat-in kitchen here or at my apartment. Always so much clean up before each meal. The embroidery is lovely and can't wait to see the finish on Robbie's quilt! You are so productive with your sewing and get so much done! Wishing you a wonderful and safe holiday! Hugs!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Well, I can say I've had many different rooms for my sewing space! In fact, my studio now is my former dining room. Sold the antiques (we never ate there!!) and brought in Ikea cabinets and made a studio! Now the Quilt Cave where I longarm is half of our main level garage we had turned into a bedroom for my mom before she passed. My hubby would argue our entire house is my sewing space and he's not far from wrong! LOL Your embroidered snowman is lovely. And that red embroidered dress is fantastic, is it not? That's a LOT of work!! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings. Stay safe and warm in the blizzard. It's frigid here in the south...only 19 today! BRRRR Merry Christmas!

Karrin Hurd said...

I have a perfectly good sewing room, but not for sewing, more for supply room? I sew on kitchen table, my cutting/ironing station are on my dining room table, but all has been put away for Christmas houses and company. Now that company has left am going to put away Christmas stuff today so I can get my sewing stuff back out. My husband used to say too, pretty much the whole house was my sewing space and he was right too