Wednesday 28 December 2022

Blizzards, Christmas Time, Finishing Quilts

 Thank you all for the well wishes leading up to our storm that yes indeed, we did get. There was snow and blowing snow, then rain which was really weird, then back to a blizzard like I'd never seen here in Ontario. 

And it kept up for over three days! 

We were fortunate to not have a power outage though lots of folks did. We did have a little drama when our propane tank ran dry...a computer glitch about refills at the company office, and they sent a chap out here at 10:30 at night to fill our tank. Thankfully the major roads were mostly cleared by then. The fellow that came was so nice, even stayed with Tony to make sure our furnace was working well before he left. I am unsure what to do in situations like that- to tip or not I mean. It being Christmas, we did and I was happy- he seemed surprised but then very grateful. 

It was a lovely Christmas with my tiny family insisting of coming here for the Christmas Eve present exchange so we didn't have to brave the weather. They brought the drinks and food, nibbling things and hors-d'oeuvres.  

Then the bigger gathering including in laws at Daughter's for the feast was the next day. This year's meal included seafood-crab and scallops. All so delicious. I overate and I topped it off by having two pieces of cake...I figured what the heck, it's my 71st Christmas! Daughter had made a deep chocolate cake with a candy cane marshmallow frosting. The combination was irresistible to me. Robbie even said to me I knew you were going to like that Nana. :D

Another shake up in the sewing room accompanied by the sound of wind howling outside the window. Again with the never ending scrap sorting.  This latest sorting by colours. About half way through here. On the upside I came across lots of scraps for the Pyramids and also more large enough for the Trees project.

 7
A review of Panama Pyramids- yes I have enough to proceed with sewing it all together. There are now 120 blocks done, all with EPP; that's a lot of tiny hand stitches. Am I completely mad, LOL. Here are the last three batches I finished, on the wall to see what they look like together. BTW, the original plan was to match these blocks to the monthly RSC but that fell by the wayside. 
I've chosen a yellow to alternate triangles with these. Though there are a number of Panama Pyramid quilts around the web using that colour, I will have to try it out to see if it works for me. 
Then I'd love to have those triangles all cut and ready to sew by machine this week. 

Ned is now allowed walks on the lead which is good for me. It's not as much fun to walk alone I found out. 
Thank you for all the lovely Christmas messages! I am so thankful for this wonderful supportive blogging community of ours! And you all enjoy this time now till the next big day. 
Linking up with Texas Quilt Gal and I'd like to thank Linda for her wonderful hosting of the To Do party. And a big thank you also to Carol at Quilt Schmilt who is taking over. 

26 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so glad to hear that you got through the winter storm - so nice that the propane guy was able to make it to your house to fill the tank and to make sure that the furnace started afterwards. I am always confused on when to tip or not - I feel companies need to pay their employees a proper payment so tipping would not be necessary but we all know that is not always the case.
It must have been very hard to get the driveway clear of all the snow and glad you were still able to have a good Christmas with family

Julierose said...

Wow your pyramid project is just so beautiful--[I cannot allow myself to go down that rabbit hole hahah] I must must must concentrate on my small-med. ufo's and get them further along...
I got hung up on putting all my Christmas fabrics away this morning--something always prevents me somehow from dealing with finishing!!

That was some blizzard you folks had--so far no snow here--well, just a few paltry flakes here and there a week ago..So great that the propane guy made it through to you...our tanks are now filled and we are set with our new propane generator in place...take care hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

I am so thankful you are all safe, and the storm didn't have that huge disastrous impact it did elsewhere. But I'm sure what did come was quite bad enough. For me, I cannot imagine snow to the windowsills!!! Happy New Year to you both.XXX And when the power is out, hand sewing can be the answer.If you have lights!!!

loulee said...

That storm sounds awful. Glad that the propane company sent someone out, even at night to help you stay warm.
Love your pyramid progress. So many triangles.

Jenny said...

Oh, so much snow! We have been seeing stories on the TV about the terrible snow storm hitting such a large area. You Christmas gatherings sounded so nice, food and all! I havent had any Christmas Cake just yet. We have a small purchased one in the caravan that we havent yet cut into, in fact, I'm insisting we keep it in the fridge because the weather is so hot and sticky here, I'm worried about the icing melting or going "off".

Deb A said...

So glad to hear you weathered the storm. Wow - running out of propane, how nice of him to come out and fill and make sure you had heat before he headed home. I would have tipped him as well. Sounds like a very yummy Christmas eve and Christmas and go you, for enjoying that second piece of cake! That pyramid - you did EPP? I am trying to come up with an ongoing daily project for 2023.... and I have been eyeing your pyramid. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2023 with lots of dog walks!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a mess it is out there!
We still haven't done Christmas. Too many are ill.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That does look like a lot of snow, Jocelyn! So glad the family was able to get there for Christmas Eve, and the propane guy, too. Scrap sorting is definitely a never-ending job - good for you for tackling it! And I love your Panana Pyramids blocks, too - so many. They're going to make a beautiful quilt!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That was quite the storm and I'm glad y'all are okay up there.

PaintedThread said...

Goodness, you got quite the storm! How nice your electricity stayed on! Your Christmas goodies all sounds delicious.

Nancy said...

Your snowy forest looks so beautiful. Do you cross-country ski? It almost looks like you have a path there. So glad you were safe during the storm and especially no power outage, and that you were able to get someone out to fix the propane refilled quickly.
I did not realize your pyramids were hand-pieced. What a labor of love! They look so fun. I almost see snowflakes....
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Lin said...

I love your pyramids! Glad you came through the storm unscathed - and what great service to come out at that time of night. xx

Nana said...

I would have given him a tio myself... probably kind of bigger one.

Nana

CathieJ said...

It sounds like you had wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas day celebrations despite the blizzard and the propane problem. Your pyramid quilt is looking great. Enjoy your walks with Ned. Have a Happy New Year.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, how nice that gentleman would come out and refill your propane tank at 10:30 at night. I definitely would have tipped him and hugged him to boot. HAHA Your daughter has a real talent for baking and flavor combinations. The holiday meals sound delicious. My goodness - I think 120 blocks of Pyramids is plenty! It is oh so beautiful! Yay for Neddy being able to join you on walks. Walking alone is definitely no fun. Not when you can have a beautiful lab at your side . . . or ahead. Happy New Year to you! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Angela said...

Great that you were able to have some family time! The roads were closed on Christmas Eve so one of my sons was not able to come.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I was wondering you fared through the blizzard. Thank goodness you didn't lose power and that the propane could be filled so soon! The Panama Pyramids look awesome! How big will that quilt be? You have so much patience to do these kinds of projects! Wishing you a safe and happy New Year! Hugs!

MissPat said...

Would you believe that even though we are about 60 miles east of Buffalo, we had less than an inch of snow? We did have the frigid temps and high winds, but fortunately didn't lose power. My daughter and I postponed our Christmas Eve get together as I didn't want her out on the roads in the dark and with a forecast of snow (which didn't amount to much). We celebrated yesterday instead. Your daughter's cake sounds scrumptious. I would have had 2 pieces, too.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

So glad you “weathered” the storm! I love the snow photos, if there wasn’t ice and dangerous temperatures along with them! Glad you have your walk buddy back and there was a quick solution to your propane issue! It must be so awesome to have a fabulous daughter who bakes! Happy New Year to you both!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - we rely on our propane supplier to keep track of deliveries and usage, so I hope that "glitch" never happens to us .. glad you were able to get it sorted out quickly! Your food photos are mouthwatering, but you had me truly salivating with the description of the chocolate cake with peppermint ... Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Gosh that's a lot of snow - I was kind of amazed to read about the blizzard and you haven't seen one like it in Ontario! It's good that Ned can walk on leash again. How sweet of your family came for Christmas Eve. That is my favorite night of the whole year. I'm proud you ate two pieces of that delicious sounding cake! :D Your pyramids are so, so pretty and so tempting. It just makes such a neat pattern. Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am so glad that you all are fine after the storm. How kind that the company sent over someone to fill the tank and he stayed to make sure all was well. Your Pyramids quilt is looking fabulous. Have a Happy New Year, Jocelyn.

Jennifer said...

Oh my....that's a lot of snow. I've been reading about the storms in your part of the world, it sounds quite bad. Your 'party' looks good! Best wishes for a wonderful New Year.

Susie H said...

Three days is a long time to be cooped up watching snow fall but it sure is pretty! What a sweet guy to fill the propane at that awful hour and then stay on to make sure all was good. Love, love, love the Panama Pyramids. You pick some of the most beautiful projects to work on. Good luck with getting the scraps under control! Haha!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The snow certainly wreaked havoc with a lot of Christmas plans, including ours.
So glad you were able to get a propane fill up considering the season AND the weather.
And your pyramid quilt is looking wonderul. Can't imagine all that hand piecing though!

Jan Snell said...

Jocelyn,

Happy New Year! I am hoping that all is well with you and your family but am a bit worried as I am missing your blog.
Jan