Monday 8 April 2024

Garden Beginnings, Tiny 9 Patches, Cross Stitching, Turkey Pot Pie

 The storm is past and power has been restored for everyone. Then it was really cold like we had dialed back a season back to winter.  However today, spring hopes are revived as it is going up to 15C.  I did pick up my seed packets while out and about yesterday. I found out last year that these are classified seasonal and only available on the shelves for a brief time, so have to get them early. I bought more of the Zinnia packets because I had good luck growing those last year and they stayed in bloom so long. 

I'll be setting up my makeshift green house in the large back room of the garage again this year. A very large window there provides enough light. 

We've eaten our very hearty turkey pot pie I made from the various Easter meal leftovers. Beth took the carcass to make soup. I used the gravy that was left but yet the pie was on the dry side. Perhaps I should have had it on a higher rack in the oven.

It does look a little dry, doesn't it.
 My stove is very old and I've had to add a few degrees to get the recommended temperatures; perhaps the pie didn't need that as it looks a little overdone. I've never had that dry pie problem so I really don't know. It was very tasty though and we gobbled it up.:)

 I've stitched more of the tiny 9 patch, 3 inch squares still alternating sewing methods. Here are a few in various yellows, April's RSC colour. Mostly cheddar it seems.

Took a close up photo so you can see that tiny village on the vintage table cloth, another of my thrift finds. I don't know why, but I always feel nostalgic seeing these kinds of illustrations, etc. That's about the books of my childhood I guess. 

Slow stitching is helping my Pileated Woodpecker grow his beautiful red crest. It gets its name from the Latin word for that crest. The main red is DMC 347 and is an interesting shade, sort of soft red and my eye sees a purplish tinge to it. Officially it is described as a deep salmon colour.  Not possible to see its' true hue in this photo. 

Petey stayed overnight with us recently. He is very loving and much more demonstrative with us than Ned is. That may be because he lives with Abbey and feels he has to compete for human affection. Here he's asking me to close the computer and go play ball. He'd brought the ball to me a minute earlier.
Ned idolizes his brother!
Thank you for remarking on my Second Best Thrift Find post. In particular, I heard from so many people familiar with the Petit Point china set. Though the pattern is discontinued now, it was very popular back in the day. Since cross stitching is having such a revival, perhaps the Royal Albert folks should bring it back. Or develop an updated modern version. 

And thank you, P, for pointing me towards this set, the Royal Winton Grimwades Queen Anne pattern, also very popular and their design depicts the linen lines too which is unique. 

Here is the tea pot. I just love looking at the designs of things. Stitching a tea pot quilt is on my bucket list. I think Kaffe has one. 

Seeing this made me wonder if it was inspiration for the beautiful Tilda Flower Embroidery Pixel Quilt pattern. HERE is the link to the free pattern to stitch this beauty which is labelled EASY, btw.
Meanwhile, next post I will tell you about two small but important things I happily discovered and use in the sewing room. 
Hope your week is off to a great start!

18 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The flower pixel quilt design is amazing - it does remind me of the teapot! Glad your ice has gone away, and hopefully Spring is back, too. Love your 9 patches with the cheddar and the woodpecker design, too. Hope you enjoyed playing with Petey!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen that pixel pattern a couple places but can't remember where
do you put crust on the top and bottom of the pot pie? I have seen it with and without the bottom - my bottom crust always gets too soggy so I have taken to just using a top crust

Linda said...

That turkey pot pie looks delicious. I'm all about the crust anyway. ;) Oh that teapot is just so pretty. I used to like a line of Homer Laughlin pottery called Petit Point made during the 1940s. Petit point must have been a thing for awhile! I love those vintage cloths too, the illustrations on them are so nostalgic for me.

Jeanna said...

Turkey pot pie is a great way to use holiday leftovers. The little 9-patches are so cute. That quilt would coordinate well with your china.

Jackie said...

Your pie looks lovely. My meat pies seem to be a bit dry as well.

Your cross stitching is coming along nicely.

We got up to 17 today, but next week temperatures are plummeting to barely above freezing and well below during the nights. Snow is even predicted.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love all the items with cross stitch on them. They're so classy and elegant in my opinion. It certainly feels more like Spring so I think it's a good time to start planting. Thanks for the free patten link. It uses so many fabrics!!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm just getting round to catching up on posts. I love the original china you purchased and the ones you featured today are great too! I am so looking forward to planting my zinnia seeds (another month) as I love them as well! Your woodpecker looks amazing!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Pot pie is one of the vary rare things I often put ketchup on (dumplings being the other).
Petey looks so hopeful of some play time - glad you indulged him.

PaintedThread said...

I love how hearty zinnias are. Pot pies are terrific things! Interesting china pattern. I like your tiny nine patches.

dq said...

Turkey Pot Pie on those pretty plates - delightfully yummy! There is nothing like a home cooked meal.
I enjoyed your photo in your last post of the stacked wood. We burn wood too, and there is nothing better for heat. It is so cozy to warm up to.

Sara said...

Such a lovely charming tea pot. I can see why it would be inspiration for a new quilt.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Aren't zinnias great? I love their long blooming season. Your garden should be full of inspiring color this year. Back in the day I used to teach color classes. One project was to interpret a favorite photo with only 8 colors of construction paper squares. The Tilda quilt brought back fond memories of those classes.

Susie H said...

The china is beautiful! I hope you're using it too. It shouldn't be shelved for only "good" occasions. Haha! Great yellow 9-patches. Nothing wrong with cheddar in my book!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

petey stole the show this week - what a character!!!
Your 9 patches are coming along very well - and that vintage table cloth - great find!!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love the china and that vintage table cloth. I love going to vintage and thrift stores. Petey is adorable! Happy stitching!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

That turkey pot pie sounds great to me!! I love pot pies! Those tiny 9 patches are just too cute and I love the scene on the table cloth as well. It takes me back to a much simpler time. I think we are much to busy nowadays! The zinnias also take me back. My grandmother grew beautiful zinnias as well as gorgeous dahlias that were a big as a plate! She could grow anything - me...not so much! LOL Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

Jenny said...

A tea pot quilt sounds fun, better put that idea on the top of your list. How nice to have Petey come to stay for a while, the two dogs would be good company to each other.

Michelle said...

I think your turkey pot pie looks wonderful. I have started some plants/flowers in my greenhouse. Still too early for plants outside, but I am eager to get started!! Thank you for linking up.