Thursday 16 May 2019

Most Wanted List and Mother's Day Outing

Who knew?!
I had no idea my way of devoting a container to each of my projects was a thing called boxing. I came across it on Ann Wood's Blog and realized that is what I am doing and it is a way of lessening anxiety about having more than one project on the go at a time.  I would definitely fit that category of stressing about it. 
 Here is what Twyla (love saying that name!) Tharp in her book The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For the Rest of Your LIfe  has to say about boxing...
“The box makes me feel organized, that I have my act together even when I don’t know where I’m going yet. It also represents a committment. The simple act of writing a project name on a box means that I’ve started work”
I found that interesting. 

 I actually felt overwhelmed in the sewing room one day last week. I got very down on myself about my lack of finishes to show for the time invested. Normally that aspect of the process doesn't bother me. In the end I questioned whether I should be looking at some of the pro type blogs where those talented folks have, if not two, then always one finish every single post. 
 But the upshot of that little bout had a positive outcome- it spurred me to look through my unfinished shelf. I pulled out these little applique blocks I made in 2016 and never sewed into anything useful . 







 They are designs from this book, Inspired By Tradition by Kay Mackenzie.


 I experimented with fusible applique and enjoyed  hand stitching a blanket stitch around them at the time. ( But decided in the end that I prefer using freezer paper overall for applique.)
  I squared them and sewed them together in an effort solely to make myself feel better.  To feel like I was accomplishing something.  A summer runner for the sofa table.
Having a complete rethink of that yellow and blue border ...too much/too busy.  What do you think? Now looking at these more subdued/neutral type fabrics.  Decision making, duh!

On a more satisying note, I got out and about in the local town recently.
I had a lovely day at the spa for Mother's Day. Younger daughter and I had facials, pedicures, drank mimosas and relaxed.  I'm not one for a lot of fooling with me from other people but I have to admit I loved every minute.  It is also enjoyable to know such a facility exists ten minutes from the house in the little nearby town, so we promised ourselves to go more often. 
Image result for mahogany spa carleton place
We also visited the very well stocked Granary where all manner of health food, baked goods and grooming items  are available.

                                                  Image result for granary carleton place
Where I bought this, Vegenaise mayonnaise...so surprised to know it is available locally. It is quite tasty.
 And ended the day with excellent Indian food from another local spot, Sagar Indian Cuisine, which I'm so happy to support. The naan bread too was a real treat.
logo
Nice to know shopping, eating out and entertainment is on our door step; we don't have to go into Ottawa for it which is a good thing as we get older.
What's on your want list?  
I want to join this group on Facebook... the Twinkle Twinkle Challenge- Het Klossie with Marijke Tabak. You might remember the Lily Challenge from last year. This year she has designed a star block also to be made with scraps and is free for members. 
cover photo, No photo description available.
I need to settle on which kind of frame or holder I want to buy for my stitchery projects.  The hoops I use are hard on the material and also hurt my left hand to hold for any length of time. I've looked at lap stands but they are pricey; lately I've been eyeing this one. It receives wonderful reviews so I think this is the one I'll go with. Q-Snap Needlework frame which gets a consistent 5 stars from stitchers on Amazon.



This list is to be continued. 
Meanwhile, everything is rosy in our garden...well not literally (will be a while yet before we see roses!) but figuratively for sure.
Hope for you all too!
Check out lots of positive/thankful Thursday things at Not Afraid of Color and It's A Small Town Life. Also linking with Sew Fresh QuiltsThe Inquiring Quilter, Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkLife in Pieces and Busy Hands Quilts.









25 comments :

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The idea of boxing is very interesting! I have to clean my sewing room up to start a new project and I still get overwhelmed with too much stuff out. I made a place for my cross stitch things the other day so that I can put them aside for now. Nice to be encouraged by other crafters! Love your summer runner....so cheery and pretty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I didn't no "boxing" was an actual term for keeping the projects in them but I have been doing that for long time - it helps to keep all the bits and pieces together along with the pattern/templates. The food you show looks yummy - we have nothing close by that has that type one needs to drive to the city 80 miles away! I would need to do that without hubby as he is only willing to have regular "down home cooking" or hamburgers/steak!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have used the "boxing" method for 30+ years. My projects are gathering into 12 x 12 plastic boxes that are used in scrap-booking. I find them at Michaels and are frequently on sale for $3.. They hold WIP and stack nicely on shelves. Since they are clear plastic that is really no need for labeling. I use the Q-snap frames. You can buy components for them in home improvement stores in the plumbing department. I can't remember what department I got the curved pieces that hold the fabric to the frame. It might have been in the garden department of Amazon. I've used them for years and create any size I need, when I need it. You might try looking on Pinterest too.
xx, Carol

Pilar Garcia de la Cueva said...

No se ingles,pero si se decirte que me encantan estas flores.
Un saludo.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I do that too. Also I either box or project bag fabric and patterns I purchase for a future project.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such pretty things and yummy foods. I'm glad the boxing is working out!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Wow - having a finish each and every week. I wouldn't be able to keep up with that pace at all. Just plain 'ole life gets in the way - and so what?! I don't think you should get down on yourself, EVER. I do love your appliquéd blocks from 2016. Also - I love your organization system. At least you know what you have started and where it is. Other people who will remain nameless may just stuff things in a drawer or a closet with the out-of-sight-out-of-mind mindset. ~smile~ Roseanne

Suzanne said...

I box too...did not know it had a name. I have felt very restless about not finishing much in the last couple of months too.

Nancy J said...

The snap frames look wonderful, and your runner, maybe an old rose, that red that isn't so bright, plainer fabric, or green? Or that paler beige/cream. I need to do the box plan too,this would make me feel a whole lot less overwhelmed about all the projects partly done.

Michelle said...

I like your quilt pieces. My grandmother used to quilt and I know it takes a bit of organization to keep it all together. Your trip to the Indian restaurant sounds so good. One of my favorite cuisines. Thanks for linking up today.

Nana said...

This book must be awesome!

Nana

PaintedThread said...

Lots of likes. I somewhat use a boxing method. Right now I'm trying not to accumulate too many boxes. Mmm... naan bread. I need to go for Indian soon. It's been too long!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I did not know that "boxing" your projects was a thing, but I have been doing that, too, with plastic project boxes I found at Costco. The only problem is I need more! Your tablerunner idea with the pretty appliqued flowers is wonderful! I actually like the blue and yellow borders you were thinking about - they look very summery. So glad you had such a lovely day with your daughter, too!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Boxing - interesting term! Here I thought it was simply a case of attempting to keep the pieces for a project together in one place. btw - in reference to you wanting a frame, check out the directions from Kathy Shaw ( http://www.shawkl.com/p/make-your-own-hoop.html ). I made one and it's a life saver! I no longer have to try to balance any type of hoop because it's on a stand. Check out the link & if you want to know more, let me know.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hi Jocelyn! I was grinning from ear to ear when you talked about boxing. I haven't been doing much sewing this winter (been writing instead) and I was cleaning the sewing room the other day and feeling the same as you. Except I have my projects in trays but still...I hope to get back to sewing soon and just make something fun! Your runner is fantastic and I like it with the yellow (I love yellow it is such a happy color). Let us know what you decide! Have a great week!

Rebecca Grace said...

Hmmm... I do have 3 or 4 of those clear plastic Art Bin project storage boxes and they have things in them for specific things I've started and set aside, but I don't have labels on them and a couple of the boxes are doing double duty with TWO projects in them instead of one. I'd get more of those boxes if I had a better place to stack/store them, and if they weren't so pricey!

Your applique is delightful and I'm so glad you got those blocks out again! As for the border fabrics: If you inserted a narrow inner border in either a solid red or deep blue, or a red/blue/yellow stripe (would be cute with the stripe going either direction), that would give just enough separation between busy floral prints without a ton of extra work or having to buy a lot of new fabric.

Jean said...

Pretty applique flowers! Perfect for spring/summer. Glad you had a nice Mother's Day, looks like lots of fun. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Lin said...

Pretty appliques and I like the blue and yellow - very summery and 'Provencal'. xx

Yvonne said...

I like to box the projects I am working on. It gives me an organized feeling in a messy quilt room 🙂 The yellow and blue are pretty and sunny, I think you should keep it.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a fun post!! Twyla Tharp- haven't heard her name in so long- I was reminded of Robin Williams dancing to her choreography. She is such a great artist. I began using the scrapbook boxes from Joanns for my projects which are unfinished and love them. I feel more organized and now have 3 empty boxes. Yay. That is a pretty table runner but I agree that a different border would show off those pretty flowers-like maybe the fabrics on the left. What a cool Mother's Day! Yay for soy free mayo!! Have a wonderful weekend. mary

M Garcia said...

I love your applique flowers and I think the blue and yellow looks great. Very summery!

QuiltGranma said...

LOVE your sweet flowers blocks! I guess I've become a boxer! Since I live in a very small home (a 5th wheel travel trailer) much of my sewing is done on Craft Day, once a month at our church's gym. My projects are in plastic bins with lids so I can grab one or two and head out the door with everything I need inside... plus an extra bag with tools, and the sewing machine... and the potluck!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love organizing my things in boxes! It is a great relief to know everything I need for a project is together. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Kate said...

I didn't know that project boxes was a thing, it's my go to solution for multiple projects in the works. Congrats on getting some older blocks into a new project. Sometimes you just have to start slow and focus on moving one project along.

LA Paylor said...

Hi, Leeanna here, late to the party! Isn't that grape jelly feeder interesting? Tell that husband to be careful!